HELP from a YOGA expert

Options

Replies

• uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am a certified hatha yoga instructor and yes you can practice yoga daily, whether you lift weights, do cardio, walk, or do no other exercises. I urge you to go to either an organized class or have a private lesson however, as a reputable instructor can modify poses and correct poses to ensure that there is no damage to your knees. Doing yoga at home as a beginner is not a great idea as you could be doing poses incorrectly and further injure yourself.

Feel free to ask any specific questions, I am happy to help
  • uniquewrapz
    Options
    if you are looking to lengthen muscles, try pilates. Yoga is gentle stretching and increasing flexibility
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you are looking to lengthen muscles, try pilates. Yoga is gentle stretching and increasing flexibility

nothing will "lengthen" muscles.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You do realize that Pilates is based on yoga? You don't know a whole lot about yoga if you think that's all it is.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options
    Not lengthen...I misspoke...it stretches muscles and improves posture.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options
    Yes I do, and please don't insult me. I was trying to answer a direct question, not educate everyone on the origins of pilates
    THIS is the reason I stay away from these boards. Mean answers, mean people, alot of them
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I do yoga every day, whether I work out otherwise or not. Contrary to what some people are saying here, yoga can be very intense stretching, along with body-weight training, so I would recommend not doing them right next to each other (i.e., not in the same workout). I do yoga in the morning to introduce flexibility to my day, and then any other workout I do later in the day.

It doesn't elongate your muscles, but it does make them more pliable and flexible, so they aren't as tight as weight training and cardio alone can potentially make them. Doing strength, cardio, and flexibility training is the best combination for all around fitness.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yes I do, and please don't insult me. I was trying to answer a direct question, not educate everyone on the origins of pilates
    THIS is the reason I stay away from these boards. Mean answers, mean people, alot of them

I wasn't mean. You're giving the wrong impression about yoga. I may not be certified, but I've been practicing for 10 years and there is far more to it than "gentle stretching." And telling someone to do Pilates instead is silly. Some may prefer one over the other, but they both pretty much do the same thing.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Yes, it will make you more flexible and improve posture. But, as the PP said, you can't make your body longer than it is.

You can, however, elongate your MUSCLES and I think that's what the OP meant. Weight training makes your muscles bulky, stretching and body weight exercises elongate your muscles.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options

I wasn't mean. You're giving the wrong impression about yoga. I may not be certified, but I've been practicing for 10 years and there is far more to it than "gentle stretching." And telling someone to do Pilates instead is silly. Some may prefer one over the other, but they both pretty much do the same thing.

I am not giving the wrong impression about yoga. Yoga can be many different things, but for beginners wanting more flexibility, most would reccomend gentle stretching to start. And I didn't say to do Pilates instead. I suggested it in ADDITION to yoga.

Whatever I say you will contradict me. Doesn't make you right and me wrong. And in addition to being certified, I've also practiced yoga for 15 years.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options

Yes, it will make you more flexible and improve posture. But, as the PP said, you can't make your body longer than it is.

You can, however, elongate your MUSCLES and I think that's what the OP meant. Weight training makes your muscles bulky, stretching and body weight exercises elongate your muscles.

Yes....THANK YOU for elaborating what I meant, and in a MUCH nicer way than nit-picking everything I've said. Thanks. It is restoring my belief that not everyone is out to start a fight :)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Your muscle length is determined by the bones to which they are attached. You lengthen and contract muscles when you work them, but you can't increase their permanent length.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So much misinformation.

*sigh*
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yes....THANK YOU for elaborating what I meant, and in a MUCH nicer way than nit-picking everything I've said. Thanks. It is restoring my belief that not everyone is out to start a fight :)

from dictionary elongate- : to extend the length of

you cannot lengthen muscles ...good grief
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Good grief. Sometimes the posts on here are so rude. By "elongate" of course I don't mean make longer. I mean stretch out and make them APPEAR longer. Weight training makes the muscles fat and squat. Stretching them will "elongate" them. So, you're right, but you're also kind of a jerk :)
  • uniquewrapz
    Options

Good grief. Sometimes the posts on here are so rude. By "elongate" of course I don't mean make longer. I mean stretch out and make them APPEAR longer. Weight training makes the muscles fat and squat. Stretching them will "elongate" them. So, you're right, but you're also kind of a jerk :)

YEP....that's why I give up. Some people here take thing so freaking literally.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Your muscle length is determined by the bones to which they are attached. You lengthen and contract muscles when you work them, but you can't increase their permanent length.

That's not a very good description on my part. During normal use/movement, muscles relax and contract, but their overall length is not increased by stretching.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

You do realize that Pilates is based on yoga? You don't know a whole lot about yoga if you think that's all it is.

Why does someone feel the need to attack someone? "uniquewrapz" is good at what she does and knows what she is talking about. Yoga stretches muscles and improves flexibility and posture along with a thousand other health benefits.

OP- please try to find an experienced teacher and I think you can get a lot of benefits (this is based on personal experience with yoga). Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Yoga stretches muscles and hence elongates/lengthens muscles

if the OP is asking for information and a response gives wrong information, why is it rude to point out that the information is wrong?

isnt the point of this forum to help?

while yoga provides many benefits and is a good stretching of tendons, etc., yoga nor pilates nor anything will elongate/lengthen muscles.

I am sorry you find it rude to correct false information.
  • uniquewrapz
    Options

Why does someone feel the need to attack someone? "uniquewrapz" is good at what she does and knows what she is talking about. Yoga stretches muscles and improves flexibility and posture along with a thousand other health benefits.

OP- please try to find an experienced teacher and I think you can get a lot of benefits (this is based on personal experience with yoga). Good luck!

Thanks Tulip...I appreciate the comment

Back to the ORIGINAL post, you can do yoga the same day as lifting, but as another poster mentioned, RIGHT afterwards is not advised. I highly encourage you to go to a class or have a private lesson so you can get the proper techniques and modifications for knee injuries.

I advised yoga for gentle stretching because of your injuries/surgeries to your knee, not because that's only what yoga is about as a previous poster accused me of. Restorative yoga is great for recovering flexibility after surgeries.

Some poses that, done properly (with guidance from an instructor) will strengthen muscles and stretch and contract them so they remain limber for growth.

I know I am opening myself up for more nitpicking wordsmithing here but I wanted to get away from the back and forthing and get back to your original question before I got distracted.

Good luck! And adding yoga to your routine will help you have less knee pain if it's done properly...