Veggies :)

Options
So i pack a lunch almost everyday at work. i always have apples, clementines, pears, grapes.
I'm good at eating my fruits, im just having a hard time getting all of my vegetables in. i feel like i should be eating way more than i do.
All you lunch packers, do you pack vegetables? and if so, what do you pack? i do eat celery often, but it gets kind of boring day after day.:sick:

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I get frozen broccoli and green beans and take a bunch to work every day with 1Tb of Brummel & Brown on top. Toss it in the microwave and it is yummy and easy. :-)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot at lunch time, check my diary. I buy frozen veggies and heat them in the microwave.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I don’t really eat a lot of fruit. Every day about 75% of my lunch consists of veggies. I don’t like lettuce so I just cut up all the veggies I like and mix them together to make a salad….

My veggies of choice are red/yellow/orange peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, and tomatoes. Sometimes I cut up radishes and carrots too. Today I put pickles in the salad.

Another great salad that I make is cucumber/tomato salad.

What I do is cut up all my veggies on the weekend and pre-pack them so I can just grab and go throughout the week. Makes life a lot easier.

Also, some nights I grill up veggies such as bok choy, onions, mushrooms, broccoli in a stir fry with teriyaki sauce or a very lil bit of reduced sodium soya sauce... The next day I just heat it and eat it...lol
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options

What I do is cut up all my veggies on the weekend and pre-pack them so I can just grab and go throughout the week. Makes life a lot easier.

Cool cool, wanna start doing this as it's getting too time-consuming to do it all daily. My question is, do the veggies dry out if you cut them and they're sitting in the fridge for a week? Do you store them in water, or just an air-tight Tupperware? Thanks!
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    Fresh/raw green beans are good too ... and I eat a lot of endmane.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    Thanks, ill definitely have to keep these in mind.:)
    Its so easy to do for my daughter, but so hard to do for myself! lol
    I make sure she has fruit, veggie, and meat with each meal. but i cant seem to keep myself in order :ohwell:
  • Sevhera
    Sevhera Posts: 22
    Options
    I create my salad to ensure that I get all my veggies in and have a low cal /healthy lunch.. it consists of spinach, carrots, fresh mozzarella, olives, cauliflower, sweet peas and marinated artichokes (so u don't need dressing) it's yummy, filling, super low in calories and easy to put together :)
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    mmm always looking for new veggie ideas. :)
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    I like strips of different colored bell peppers...with hummus or laughing cow cheese wedge.
  • donnaferraiuolo
    donnaferraiuolo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make a big salad with lots of greens, protien and nuts everyday for lunch
  • Sevhera
    Sevhera Posts: 22
    Options
    I like strips of different colored bell peppers...with hummus or laughing cow cheese wedge.

This sounds delish
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I swear I make everything into a salad...if it can go on a sandwich, I replace the bread with lettuce. :) I eat a lot of veggies at dinner so if I have to make extra to bring lefft over I will. I love raw pepper, green beans, asparagus, sugar snap peas...even better is dipping them in a garlic hummus. :) Carrots with peanut butter are a crazy favorite of mine! :)
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have hummus and veggies almost everyday... Oasis brand hummus has the best flavor (in my opinion) and lowest calories. Veggies I dip...carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, cherry tomatoes....

There is a full kitchen where I work and so I don't have much prep...just bring the veggies, clean them when I am ready to eat, and eat (usually have them in whole carrots, whole celery stalks, whole tomatoes, cucumber and peppers in chunks)

It is the most filling and delicious snack under 200 calories EVER.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love making a dry coleslaw so Cabbage, Carrots and Onions and whatever else I can grate but with no mayo or other dressing.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I always have jicama cleaned and in a zippy bag in the fridge. It is a potato-like veggie that has a high water and fiber content. It is delicious. I also do the frozen veggie thing. :) Good luck!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't like veg really and can go a week without eatting any... :( not good I know! today I'm gonna buy some carrots! yes I will dip them in ranch but atleast I'll be eatting some
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    my favourite thing is pasta, with pesto green beans, broccoli, sugar snap peas or normal peas. Because you're having so many veg packed in you can have less pasta, so save on calories a little bit and still fill up.
    Also you can make a tomato sauce from scratch ( or a jar) and pack it full of veg like courgettes, mushrooms, anything really!

I'm the exact opposite of you, I find fruit a chore to eat but I could eat veggies til they're coming out of my ears!
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love making a dry coleslaw so Cabbage, Carrots and Onions and whatever else I can grate but with no mayo or other dressing.

You can use vinegar as a dressing for this too, google search it. I'm sure theres loads out there
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I don't have time to fix my lunch ahead of time, I go to the salad bar at the local grocery store and make a giant salad with spinach and as many fresh veggies as I can. Then I add a spoon full of hard boiled egg, garbonzo beans and/or sunflower seeds for protein. Just don't get sucked in by the pre-made salads full of mayo and oil. Keep it fresh.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies in the oven....spray with a little olive oil spray and cook at 400-450 degrees until nice and caramelized (brown on the edges!). Roasting brings out the natural sweetness. I esp. love roasted cauliflower, carrots, Brusell sprouts and tomatoes. You can topped with a sprinkle Parmesan cheese and spices (pepper blends, Italian blends are good) for added flavor. Roast a whole cookie sheet (or two) one night, let cool, then package for the week to reheat. Good to toss with chicken and pasta for a more filling meal, too.