weights without cardio?

Options
My employer has a small gym that is available for employees to use. I prefer to not go during my lunch because I don't want to stink the joint up for the rest of the day and there is just not time in one lunch hour to do a full workout, shower, and reapply makeup and redo my hair. So I have been staying after work. On Friday I have to work an hour later than the rest of the week so I have been skipping the gym on Fridays. I want to do weights 3 days per week, so here is my question. If I do just some weights on Friday during my lunch, and splash on some smell good stuff do you think it will be as beneficial without following up with cardio? That would give me Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with weights and Monday - Thursday plus weekends for cardio.

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My employer has a small gym that is available for employees to use. I prefer to not go during my lunch because I don't want to stink the joint up for the rest of the day and there is just not time in one lunch hour to do a full workout, shower, and reapply makeup and redo my hair. So I have been staying after work. On Friday I have to work an hour later than the rest of the week so I have been skipping the gym on Fridays. I want to do weights 3 days per week, so here is my question. If I do just some weights on Friday during my lunch, and splash on some smell good stuff do you think it will be as beneficial without following up with cardio? That would give me Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with weights and Monday - Thursday plus weekends for cardio.

I do very little in the way of cardio...what little I do is mainly HIIT in my kickboxing class...But I do lift about 3x's a week with very little added cardio - yesterday was lifts with about 1000 m of rowing....
  • elwinberry
    Options
    Anything you do is benefical. My trainer said I can do cardio same days a strength traing. Or just leave it for the off days. Not to feel guilty if I dont do cardio.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How d you lift weights without sweating? Even when doing body exercises I still have stink issues.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I do one day of cardio - HIIT training one day a week. The rest of my workouts are all weights, but I too don't know how you do that without sweating? A couple sets of squats and I've got sweat rolling off me.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I will sweat, no doubt, but will cut back from what I usually do so maybe not as bad. Also, I will cut the A/C down to 60 and drag a fan to my station. The weight machine we have is very limited to what you can do on it, basically it's a pully system with just a few exercises that I need to work my tri-ceps. I wish we had a better weight set up so I do actual "heavy lifting". But I can't complain, it's there for me to use free of charge.

And for my co-workers I will find someway to smell okay the remainder of the afternoon even if I have to hose myself in Febreeze!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Baby Wipes.

I run almost every day on my lunch (usually outside, so I sweat a bit). Baby Wipes, a brush and some fresh deoderant easily get me through the rest of the day.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Baby Wipes.

I run almost every day on my lunch (usually outside, so I sweat a bit). Baby Wipes, a brush and some fresh deoderant easily get me through the rest of the day.

Great idea!!!
  • bighouse51
    bighouse51 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First thing first, weight-training provides more overall benefits than cardio. Anytime you can "fit in" weight-training is time well invested. The bonus of weight-training is that your body will continue to burn calories for several hours after the session is over; not the case with cardio. Your BMR gets a kick in the butt. This creates a thermogenic effect within your body providing a great boost to your metabolism. This is a good thing!

Of course, cardio is a great addition to the END of any weight training session; however, b/c your time is limited...the cardio would be the portion you would want to skip... and like you said, you can fit it in after work.

Anytime you are faced with choosing between weights or cardio... ALWAYS go with a solid session of weight training, the benefits greatly outweigh anything you can accomplish in the same amount of time doing cardio.

Oh, and... don't worry about the office snobs looking at you if you're flush and a little over heated when you get back... keep a small fan on your desk and you will cool down in no time... if they keep looking at you, tell them they can get back to their bag of Doritos and you'll be cooled off by the time they are done washing it down with there red can of coke!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    To answer your question in a word: Yes. :)