Question for the runners!

Options
AmyLRed
AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
Hello all, i have seen many, many posts about running and that it is essential to have proper shoes. I can tell right now that with my very limited running i have been doing, my shoes are not for me.

That being said the closest "running store" to properly assess my stride/stance etc is about 3 hours away from me.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to figure out which shoes are best for me without a running specialty store? I have knee issues and i am starting C25K this month, so i really want to make sure i have the right shoes, not just any running shoe.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Amy

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you are already having issues, I would bite the bullet and make the drive. I have been running for years and if I go and just 'pick out' a shoe on my own, I always do something wrong.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Definitely bite the bullet and just take the drive.

I was in the wrong shoes for years until my friend took me to a running store and I got my gait assessment. Since then that is the ONLY store I will go to for my shoes when I need them. If you tell them all of your issues they will take that into consideration. They'll also put you on the treadmill and have you run for a little bit so they can assess your gait. It will most definitely be worth it and your feet will thank you.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would really try to get to the running store, especially for a first time gait analysis.

However, if it is entirely not possible (I totally understand), runningwarehouse.com has an online gait analysis option. I'm not sure how speedy their response is, but it is an excellent alternative if you are not able to go to a running store. You record your gait (from behind) on a treadmill, write an email to the company mentioning the make, model and size of the shoe you were wearing in the video, attach your video and send it off. I would think you should probably buy your shoes from them, as a courtesy. ;-) Fortunately, their prices are reasonable.

Here is a link: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/pronvid.html
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Since you're new, I'd suck it up and drive out there. it'll be worth it to get a good idea of what shoe would help since you already have knee problems.

That said, I would double-check that there isn't anything closer. Often, orthopedic shoe stores also can make great recommendations for running shoes. Or maybe there is a good PT that would be cheaper than the gas money for 6 huors of driving.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    ROADTRIP!!

It's SO important to have proper shoes and it'll be a one time thing :)
  • kilbey1
    kilbey1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'll echo what others have posted; you should try shoes on, test them on the store treadmill, and talk to the knowledgeable staff about what you like or dislike about each shoe. The staff should be able to evaluate the way you run, and choose the best shoe and fit for you based on your stride.

However, in a pinch, you might want to check out the Runner's World Shoe Advisor. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Check out Shoe Dog from roadrunnersports.com (I love this site!). You answer a couple of questions about yourself and it will suggest shoes. You might need the help of another person to figure out if you're a pronator or not.

Also, check out runnersworld.com - they have tons of articles on shoes etc.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    To get a rough idea - stand on your bathmat or paper towel? with WET feet and check your foot type

Below link will give you an idea of the type of trainers you need:

http://www.delanoe78.com/shoes/buy-athletic-shoes-for-your-foot-type/
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that there is no substitute for going to a good running store. But if you absolutely can't, there are several ways to determine your running style ranging from footprint (step on a paper bag with a wet foot) to assessing the wear pattern in your current shoe. You should be able to find info on either of these methods from runnersworld.com or other running websites. Then you look for shoes designed for your running style. The best information can be found on line (try roadrunnersports.com), but I would definitely go to a store to try them on after you select them. Put both shoes on and run in them, even in the store if you have to.
  • muschneidy
    muschneidy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think RoadRunnerSports.com's Shoe Dog finder works pretty well. It'll walk you through the process and then indicate the type of shoe you'd need -- stability, cushioning, neutral.

BTW, I know it's a bit of a tangent, but I have to stress the importance of strength-training on off days for injury prevention -- you're more likely to stay injury free if all of your leg muscles (hams, glutes, quads, calves) are developed, along with your core (abs/back). Consistent strength training with a professional has allowed me to move from heavily cushioned shoes and IT Band issues to minimalist shoes and no problems, IT Band or otherwise.

Good luck on C25K -- my DH is doing the same and enjoys it!

Melinda
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    This is a good site that shows you how to test yourself. I didn't like the shoe recommendations they gave me, but I could use the information I got and research shoes that would work.

http://myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_US&noAnswerSelected=
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Road trip! It's well worth it!
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What is the best type of store to go to or search for to find someone who will do an analysis?

Sorry to hijack the post - just curious what the store name is?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    ROADTRIP!!

It's SO important to have proper shoes and it'll be a one time thing :)

Definite road-trippage needed. When you're new to running, and the world of running shoes, it's not necessarily a great idea to just go and get something without advice from people who really know what to look for.

I know your pain, though.. The nearest running store to me that offers services for stride study, all that, is about 2 1/2 hours.. Bummer for living in smaller towns.