Very discouraged

Options
I bought a heart rate monitor so that I would get a more accurate count of the calories I was burning during my circuit training workout. I just did a 55 minute workout and it says I only burned 33 calories....

Ok what is the problem, the calorie counter is in the pedometer mode. Does that mean it only calculates calories when I'm walking??? If so this is one expensive pedometer!

Any tips on how to understand this thing? It's a Sportline S12 anytouch pedometer heart rate watch.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? If not, return it. HRMs with the chest strap are much more accurate because they constantly monitor heart rate. The watch ones don't work well at all.

Check out the Polar FT4 or FT7 on Amazon - good prices!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bahahahaha/... there is no way.. you would burn that much just sitting at your desk.

Not sure what you have but here are the options:

1) You aren't using it correctly and you are looking at something else
    2) It is a piece of crap. Return it. You need a Polar.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have a chest strap it isn't worth being called a heart rate monitor. They just don't work! I had one before but it just never could get a steady read on my heart rate, so it never gave me calories burned. I'm so much happier with my polar FT40!
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yep, make sure you have HRM with a chest strap and I will be another who will vouch for Polar. I have the FT40.

Sounds like your HRM may be spending part of the time searching for heart rate, one problem with a HRM that does not use a chest strap.
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Post what model HRM you're using, that'll make it easier for us to diagnose. It's probably something simple.
  • Ranchetta
    Ranchetta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's a Sportline S12 anytouch pedometer heart rate watch.

• btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The problem with this type that you bought, it only takes heart rate when you touch it to take a reading, it is not taking a continuous reading so they are not very accurate for what you are trying to measure. These are really only good if you want to see if you are in your target heart rate range at a specific given time.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yeah see, I had a sportline HRM in which you did not have to use the chest strap. When I used it without the chest strap, every time my arms/wrists would got sweaty the HRM would quite often lose the heart rate and spend minutes trying to find it again, all of this happening while I'm still working away.
  • Ranchetta
    Ranchetta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great! lol so I've got myself one expensive pedometer!

It's going back!
    Thanks everyone!