Treadmill Vs Elliptical

Options
Hey everyone just wondering... I'm going on the 4th week of working out ( 6 days a week) I've been using a Elliptical at the gym I usually go for about 40 minutes and burn around 550 cal. But I was thinking about starting to run. I like the elliptical just wondering what you guys think about the pros or cons of either or. What would give me the most burn or what you prefer?

Replies

• NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Both are pretty comparable in calories. The thing I like about treadmills is that running is a skill that is useful outside of the gym, unlike being good at an elliptical. :)
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    I love running, but the treadmill is simply too hard on my knees so I had to stop. The elliptical provides a lower impact workout (as far as knees go), which I enjoy but after a couple of months, I no longer felt challenged. Perhaps you can find a happy medium like I did ... have you heard of an AMT machine? Find out if your gym has one. WHAT A WORKOUT! I call it "the hybrid" because it is a cross between a step machine, a treadmill, and an elliptical. I am in love with it!
  • Angelfromokc
    Angelfromokc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical the best right now. But i haven't brought myself to running yet. Hoping to work up to that soon. :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone just wondering... I'm going on the 4th week of working out ( 6 days a week) I've been using a Elliptical at the gym I usually go for about 40 minutes and burn around 550 cal. But I was thinking about starting to run. I like the elliptical just wondering what you guys think about the pros or cons of either or. What would give me the most burn or what you prefer?

Nothing to stop you doing both, running one day, elliptical the next session.....

Variety is good anyway, stops you getting stale x
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Originally, I wanted an elliptical, but my husband really wanted a treadmill. We got the treadmill, and it's been really nice. I enjoy walking on it when the weather is bad or if I don't have time to go for a run outdoors. It's great.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I feel the Elliptical is a much better workout (unless you are into walking / jogging / running) and according to my HRM burns a lot more calories per hour than the treadmill unless I'm running the entire time. Most can adjust not only the resistance by the incline to better work you legs and butt. I would give the elliptical a try.
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I personally am not a fan of the treadmill. The impact it has on your knees, ankles etc is not worth it to me...I do think jogging is good if you are in good enough shape and think doing it outside is much better. The elliptical is great because you can adjust resistance, pitch, and of course speed...The trick is to change it up and do different workouts...Interval training is probably the best you can do on the elliptical, I highly recommend it. The elliptical has very low impact on your joints and bones so take advantage of it...Obviously I am not saying the treadmill is bad, any type of cardio exercise you do is great...It all just depends on your body and your preferences. I say you should try it and see what you like better. I love cycling and spinning, so of course the elliptical is my second and third choice.
    :)
  • desertrose83
    Options
    I am also for the less impact possible, and keeping my "knees" for other sports I do. I do rowing as well.
  • johanaaah
    Options
    Agreed
  • johanaaah
    Options
    I love running, but the treadmill is simply too hard on my knees so I had to stop. The elliptical provides a lower impact workout (as far as knees go), which I enjoy but after a couple of months, I no longer felt challenged. Perhaps you can find a happy medium like I did ... have you heard of an AMT machine? Find out if your gym has one. WHAT A WORKOUT! I call it "the hybrid" because it is a cross between a step machine, a treadmill, and an elliptical. I am in love with it!

Perhaps you didn't feel challenged because you didn't do different wrkouts on the elliptical? I was feeling that same way and then I tried the intervals, resistance, and even uphill. There's so much you can do!! That other AMT machine sounds fabulous! My gym does not have it, but sounds amazing
  • insightdean
    Options
    Treadmill versus Elliptical versus Spinning Bike? Does anyone have any thoughts on the bike? How does that compare with respect to injury, wearing out the knees and calorie burn?
  • mswn02
    Options
    I did it all: interval, fat burner and calorie burner ... and would consistently increase my resistance level. Still, I got to where I would hardly break a sweat. But once I discovered the AMT machine, it was like a match made in heaven!! :heart: :heart:
  • mswn02
    Options

Perhaps you didn't feel challenged because you didn't do different wrkouts on the elliptical? I was feeling that same way and then I tried the intervals, resistance, and even uphill. There's so much you can do!! That other AMT machine sounds fabulous! My gym does not have it, but sounds amazing

I did it all: interval, fat burner and calorie burner ... and would consistently increase my resistance level. Still, I got to where I would hardly break a sweat. But once I discovered the AMT machine, it was like a match made in heaven!! :heart: :heart:
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I run primarily for cardio, both indoors and out. I also use the high resistance setting and crosstrain on the elliptical because I despise hill workouts. 10min of straight running (6.2mph) vs. 10min elliptical on level 15 of 25 random hills at 4.5 - 5mph pace usually nets about a 30cal difference once BMR cals are removed (not that it matters). So a typical 1 hour run would burn 180 more cals for me than on an elliptical. YMMV.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options

Elliptical Trainers was designed for heavy weights or obese trying to shed unwanted body fats/weights without causing excessive pressure to their joints, hence decreasing the risk of impact injuries. While Treadmill is a device for walking while staying in the same place or for running or walking in one place.

Now, if you are not obese or doesn't have any joints issues, I recommend you don't use this device. You can use Treadmill or do outdoor run, which is more fun and exciting. I see a lot of SKINNY people using Elliptical for hours in the gym. Such a waste of time. Lol. Just saying.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Both are pretty comparable in calories. The thing I like about treadmills is that running is a skill that is useful outside of the gym, unlike being good at an elliptical. :)

^^^.... This! I agree that running is a skill that will allow you to work out anywhere...no gym or elliptical required! :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Agree, although the elliptical will train you for running in a low gravity setting, like on the moon!!! :tongue:
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Agree, although the elliptical will train you for running in a low gravity setting, like on the moon!!! :tongue:

....hahahahahahahaha :D
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    This is a great discussion. We've got a treadmill at home, and, although I'm still concerned about my joints, I'm so stoked that it's teaching me how to be a runner. All these years getting good at elliptical couldn't train me how to plant my feet correctly, how to stand, how to breathe, etc., but slowly increasing intenity on a treadmill is doing that for me. As for joints, I know I'm only 29, but I started an MSM Glucosamine supplement to help with that. It's been about 6 weeks "treadmilling" (as my littles call it), and so far, so great! Love the treadmill! Committing to run my first 5k in October because of this thing!