I want to beable to jog a mile on treadmill

Options
lodogz
lodogz Posts: 12 Member
How do I train myself so I can job a mile straight through?

Replies

• kriztyn723
    Options
    Couch25k Program. Google it. I am on week 1... it helps train you for a 5k race -- 3.1 miles
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this
  • bighouse51
    bighouse51 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mentally. If you are walking on a treadmill at a speed of 3.3 mph, its a decent pace. Go to 5.1 which is just enough to make you move your arms and get out of the "speed walk" and into a slow jog. 5.2 mph is a 11.5 minute mile, that's SHORTER that 3 songs. Pick 3 of your favorite songs that take you away to a time you felt your best and run to those memories. Before you know it...you'll be on the last song and realize you are very close to or have eclipsed the 1.00 mile mark. One of the biggest hurdles in achieving the first mile is thinking you can't do it. It's only 11 minutes!!! 3 songs!!! YOU CAN DO THAT! If you are not prepared mentally and you allow yourself to give in... you won't make it. Your mind will give out before your body does.

The best part about being strong mentally for your first mile is that it only takes you not giving in mentally ONE time... Once you make the whole mile for the first time... it will only get easier from there b/c MENTALLY you will BELIEVE you can do it.
  • monjero
    monjero Posts: 15
    Options
    i agree with the big house but some of us still were unable to run to the 3 songs. i prefer to take the slow and steady approach. depending on how long you can run now lets just say you can run .4 miles on the treadmill the speed doesnt matter you know when your jogging. the next time you run add point 1 to the last time you ran. it will take awhile before your running marathons but you will get to the 1 mile before you know it.
  • tracyco66
    tracyco66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started out walking and jogging....I also starting jogging at a very slow pace..3.6 mph..then I would walk at 3.0 to catch my breath...then jog again for a few minutes...actually I am still jogging at a very slow 4.0 mph pace which is probably considered fast walking to most people (but I have short legs....lol) but I am jogging...and now I"m trying to do 4.5 in intervals and then slow down to the 4.0 jog. You'll build your endurance and then eventually hit a mile....then more... I use a treadmill and watch tv while I jog but I am also a mile/clock watcher so I try to push...like if I made it 10 minutes yesterday I will try for 11 or 12 today.....or if I have made it the 10 minutes but I have only .3 to go for the next 1/2 mile I will push to that point.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k!

Which basically means just start out doing intervals of running and walking. Gradually increase the length of time you're running. Keyword: GRADUALLY. Trying too much too fast can be demoralizing.
  • lodogz
    lodogz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually do interval walking on treadmill. Today I did 3.5 walk for 2 minutes, jog at 5.0 for 1 minute, did that off and on for a good 30 minutes. Then towards end of walk I did 1/2 mile at 4.2 straight through, so that was an accomplishment.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually do interval walking on treadmill. Today I did 3.5 walk for 2 minutes, jog at 5.0 for 1 minute, did that off and on for a good 30 minutes. Then towards end of walk I did 1/2 mile at 4.2 straight through, so that was an accomplishment.

Just gradually increase the jog time.... maybe next time add 15 seconds every time? Next time add more and more. On your last interval at 5, try to jog until you can't anymore. Push yourself! Eventually you'll do it. The thing about our bodies is that they tell us "NOOOO!" when something is 'too hard' (what we think is muscle fatigue) but its almost completely mental. Our muscles CAN and WILL do more. Once I learned that (in my anatomy and physiology class) I'm not scared to keep going even if my muscles are whining because I know they will work (and they DO! Today I ran 9 miles! I pushed through those mental blocks and accomplished my goal!)
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mentally. If you are walking on a treadmill at a speed of 3.3 mph, its a decent pace. Go to 5.1 which is just enough to make you move your arms and get out of the "speed walk" and into a slow jog. 5.2 mph is a 11.5 minute mile, that's SHORTER that 3 songs. Pick 3 of your favorite songs that take you away to a time you felt your best and run to those memories. Before you know it...you'll be on the last song and realize you are very close to or have eclipsed the 1.00 mile mark. One of the biggest hurdles in achieving the first mile is thinking you can't do it. It's only 11 minutes!!! 3 songs!!! YOU CAN DO THAT! If you are not prepared mentally and you allow yourself to give in... you won't make it. Your mind will give out before your body does.

The best part about being strong mentally for your first mile is that it only takes you not giving in mentally ONE time... Once you make the whole mile for the first time... it will only get easier from there b/c MENTALLY you will BELIEVE you can do it.

Thanks for post! It makes alot of sense mind over matter.:smile:
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Couch to 5k!

Which basically means just start out doing intervals of running and walking. Gradually increase the length of time you're running. Keyword: GRADUALLY. Trying too much too fast can be demoralizing.

This! I'm also doing Couch to 5K and am up to walking 2 minutes and running 90 seconds but today I increased the incline on the walking part so the running felt more like a doddle when I decreased the incline and popped it up from 3.6mph to 5.8mph - and good tunes help too.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    that is how most people learn, for me it is run 1 block, walk 1 block and eventually run 2 block, walk 1 block and increase from there. I can now run 2 1/2 miles non stop......my 5k is at the end of April!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Totally Couch to 5k. I finished it recently and it works! I am now running 6 miles at a time. As a matter of fact...I am running my first official 5K race tonight at midnight. Yippeeee!
  • sweeney501
    Options
    it is simple walk firs and build up, when you get tired of running slow to a walk and drink some watter. at that point your sub stuff in your mind will kik in an you will start again, arter 1 week you will do it, then try it on thr road it feels good when you pass people who are walking, those who do there own running will will you on for turning up and trying, this in my opinion is better than a gym.... keep going you are appreciated for trying and when you succed, and you will, pass on the good will for those trying. i have problems with the spelling x
  • dwayne_matheson
    dwayne_matheson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first post of any kind, so that will tell you how much this one means to me. :) Couch to 5K works! I never thought I would be able to run for any length of time, even on a treadmill that helps a person run. I followed the program, and when the week came where it said it was time to run for 20 min straight I thought that I would never be able to do it, but I tried. I did it, I couldn't believe it. Who knew that I could run for 20 min straight!

Just google it and try it. You will amaze yourself, really, you will. I have now finished the program, but I don't run at the 6 mph pace they set, I was running much slower to start and I picked up the pace. I also ran with a 3% incline on the treadmill to give extra resistance and make it more "real". I ran 5k in 33:27, running without stopping.

Anyway, try it, you'll like it :) here, I'll google it for you!

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with the C25K!! When I started running I couldn't run 3 mins straight, now I do Half and Full Marathons!

Have you tried running outside instead of the treadmill? I find you can pace yourself better outside. It's easier to slow down/speed up outside, than to try to get yourself to do a steady pace when you're just starting out. Speed and consistency can come later, now you just have to build endurance.
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    This is a great thread! I had the same questions!
  • bennypearls
    bennypearls Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Don't forget aout incline. If you are comfortable walking at a 3.5 then try keeping it at the 3.5 but increasing the incline. After a little bit you will find that the 3.5 at 0 incline doesn't work you out as much and you can increase the speed and hold it for longer.

Another good thing is to find a buddy. Buddy's can help encourage you, and allows for someone you can lose weight with. Plus a really good pace is one where you are moving fast but can still keep respond in a conversation (ensures you are breathing right).