Strength training = No cals Burned?? Can I fix that?

Options
Hi!!

When I'm putting in my exercise, it will tell me how many calories i have burned doing cardio - but not for my lifting. I wear a heart rate monitor, so I have a pretty good idea of how much I'm burning. Is there a way to customize this?? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you go in under the cardiovascular category and search 'strength training' you can put in the amount of time you spent doing it and MfP will give you a calorie estimate. You can also delete the calorie number that MFP gives you and type in what your HRM says. :-)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There is a "strength training" category under Cardio that will let enter it.
  • JohnnyVegas39
    Options
    you can also change the calories to exactly what your monitor says you burned after you input the time. Obviously much more accurate than mfp's estimates. i do this everytime.

^ beat me to it...
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I needed to know this too. I'm spending more time with strength training than cardio lately and I've noticed that I have to be burning more calories in order to lose weight this well. Thanks!!!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, i log all my strength training as 244 calories even though i'm sure i probably burned more as its 1 hour of really pushing ourselves. but MFP's calorie estimates seem way too high.
  • VividSugar
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! That worked perfectly! :-)
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much I can trust my HRM with strength training as my heart rate remains elevated between sets when I'm resting. This is where the assumptions HRM-s rely on can become suspect. I generally take the amount from MFP and deduct 20% to be conservative as I've found MFP's to be a little generous.
  • jukemaster
    jukemaster Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't think the HRM values are too suspect in weightlifting. You're still burning additional calories during the rest between sets compared to sedentary time outside of a workout. Unless you're not pushing yourself, you will still utilize more oxygen and your body will continue to be at an elevated temperature until you fully cool off from the workout. But then again, if deducting 20% from the MFP value helps someone stay healthy, do what works.