Am I Supposed to Eat My Calories Burned?

Options
:bigsmile: Hey all.. first topic post!:bigsmile:

Anyway I was wondering how many women on here eat their exercise calories back? MFP gave me a target of 1200/day, but I usually go over that by a few hundred, especially when I workout. As long as I'm eating clean, I don't really care and I find that I still lose weight and see results. But I'll usually burn between 700-1000 cal at least 5x a week, and for the past few weeks the scale has been tetering between 135-132; I'm 5'2.5" and my goal is 125, so should I be eating all of these back to see BETTER results?

I'm mainly asking because I want to tone up [losing what little breasts I had and my booty is trying to follow :noway: ], & I saw a post on here last month about women who eat more than 1800 cal/day and consistently see great results...:bigsmile:

So for all of you who eat back your calories burned, what is your typical diet??

Replies

• juliannamarco
    Options
    i was thinking the same thing!! lol
  • Sabina89
    Sabina89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of calorie counting tools online give very low daily calorie recommendations. I think it is perfectly fine that you go over the 1200 limit. You should be eating the extra calories lost from exercise in order to ensure that your body is getting enough energy and replenishing after workouts...that is if you want to look "healthy and toned" rather than "skinny." I myself am 5'4 at 112 lbs and consume 1800-2000 calories a day (taking back what I lose in workouts), training 5-6 days/wk. and I sure need these extra calories! I do not gain weight but I maintain it at 112-113 with this amount of calories. I used to do 1300-1500 cal/day a few months ago and I kept dropping weight like crazy (not my goal). You just want to focus on the quality of your calories--don't overdo it on sugar, white/empty carbs, and packaged or processed foods. Keep your protein intake high--at least around 30% and your fat around 25%. You may need to try different methods on your body until you find what works best for you because everybody has different metabolic rates, goals, etc. and because of this it is hard to say.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories whether you're eating clean or not... that said, since I started eating "clean" a few years ago, I don't worry so much about calories since I've found a groove that works for me to maintain.

Listen, if that's you in your picture... You do not have any weight to lose. Your goal weight is not even 10lbs less than what you weigh now. So I wonder, why focus on the scale? Weight on a scale is really inaccurate and deceptive for people who don't really have WEIGHT to lose but who may want to change their body composition. I would strongly urge you, if you want to change your body, to look at fat percentage and completely ignore weight. You look amazing, I honestly wonder why you want to change :) You say you want to tone up... That may actually mean ADDING a pound or two on the scale. I know it defies conventional wisdom where "better body = less weight" but it's true. You don't look like you have fat to lose, but if you are toning (and that probably means you need to do less cardio and more lifting/high intensity resistance training), don't be upset if there is a slight increase on the scale. I've lived it. I'm 5'7", my body at 140 looks fitter and more muscular than my body at 130 and it took me a WHILE to wrap my head around the concept that if you don't have a significant amount of weight to lose, then weight really means nothing.

I hear you about losing boobs. For us small ladies it's kind of a cruel joke. Thanks, nature.

I always eat back calories burned because I am trying to put on a little more muscle mass. I am mostly a clean-eater myself and have been trying to focus on protein.
  • JeceCanDoIt
    JeceCanDoIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I'm concerned with my weight because I can't remember the last time I was 120 anything, and I see pictures of people who are more toned than me and weight in the 120s. You're right; I do need to stop focusing so much on the scale (I check my weight everyday SMH); I think it just became a personal goal to be 125, but if my body still won't look the weight I want it to, then why bother??

i HAVE been experimenting with different methods and different workouts and that definitely has led to results. I just wanted to know what other people do to STAY toned and looking healthy, not skinny!!

So how do I check my body fat %? Do I have to buy a device?

These replies were helpful, because I love food and don't like to limit myself when eating it!! I eat clean 80% of the time... I probably need to get more disciplined!!
  • JeceCanDoIt
    JeceCanDoIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I hear you about losing boobs. For us small ladies it's kind of a cruel joke. Thanks, nature.

I always eat back calories burned because I am trying to put on a little more muscle mass. I am mostly a clean-eater myself and have been trying to focus on protein.

:smile: Itty bitty club :smile:

I know eating back 700-1000 calories in clean food would be tough, but I'll def try to make up the deficit more now!!!
  • GlorytoGodalone400
    Options
    Bump for later. :)