Starting P90X Today

Options
So I am starting P90X today and after doing the setup it has me eating 2960 calories per day at 50% protein when I put this in MFP it has me at 371g of protein per day, this seems like an insane amount. I have been eating 155-170g per day so I am having to double it. Does this sound right to the people that have done this program? Thoughts and/or advise . . .

Replies

• spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nothing?
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb to maintain or gain mucle mass is 1 to 1.2g per lb of body weight. 371 sound like a lot. I've done P90X a few times, and I think the point in phase one is low-carb to burn fat.

I'd go with the 1g protien per pound rule of thumb, fill in with healthy fats, and keep the carbs according to the P90X plan.
  • timbrophy
    timbrophy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The nutrition guide to p90x gives mixed messages. The calorie goals are WAY to high for someone trying to shed fat. They subscribe to the high protein/low carb way of shedding fat so therefore when you combine the overstatement of calories with the high protein diet you get an insane amount of protein needed per day.

A couple of suggestions:

1. To really shed fat subtract 1000 calories from your goal. It makes the protein amount easier to reach and frankly 3000 calories a day will make for a long fat shredding journey
    2. If you can, just do a vegetarian diet and then you don't have to care about the ratios of protein\carbs\fat. You still would have to stick to the 1000 calorie deficit. If this sounds crazy, I suggest doing a little research. You get plenty of usable proteins following a good vegetarian diet
    3. Check out teamripped.com for some coaching/nutrition advice. The coach, Wayne Weaver, is in my opinion the most knowledgeable P90x coach out there.
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about cutting the calories down to 2500, was able to get 225g of protein in yesterday which is a manageable amount for me.

I don't see it as a high protien/low carb diet. It has 30% setting on carbs (222 for me). High protein/low fat I would agree with.

I don't have a lot of fat left to lose, according to the P90X "Navy Method" I am at 17.6% and my goal is to get into below 16%. I am looking more for adding strength and muscle from this program than losing weight.

No offense, but I am not interested in a vegetarian diet. My family has been raising beef and chicken since before I was born, so life without meat to me is like life without water! On a side note if I had to buy meat at the store I probably would be a vegetarian. Meat from the store taste horrible and is loaded with all kinds of crap! All of our beef is grass fed lean Angus. I see it everyday from the day it is born until the day it is killed so I know what is in the meat. And it is TO DIE FOR!

I will check out that site, thank you both for the replies!
  • timbrophy
    timbrophy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, I totally support the farm/agri business. I am doing a vegetarian 90 day test. Purely for health reasons and not ethical ones. I will go back to meat eventually but am planning on only buying organic/locally farm raised. Good luck with the p90x, it is difficult in a very good way!
  • Karri_Lynn
    Options
    I do not follow the p90x protein/ carb/ fat ratios. I have taken nutrition courses, and I just do not feel like the p90x guidelines are right for me. That is not to say that people have not had amazing results by following them. I eat a clean, healthy diet with as little processed foods as possible. Unfortunatley, as much as I would love to raise my own beef and chicken, I do not have the means to do so. A little jealous now, because fresh beef sounds amazing. With that being said. I have had amazing results with p90x, but I did not have much weight left to lose, mostly toning and strenghting. If you are that concerned with the calorie and protien/carb/fat intake ratios, I would highly suggest consulting with a nutritionist who is also familiar with what will best work for your health and fitness goals.
  • CoachDavidJ
    CoachDavidJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to get ripped up use the Fat Shredder percentages 50P/30C/20F and run a deficit.

A good rule of thumb is:

Wt *10 = BMR (Base Metabolic Rate)
    BMR * 0.2 = DB (Daily Burn through activity)
    550 = Avg P90X Calorie Burn

Add those up, then subtract 600 - 1000 for a healthy deficit (that will drop the fat).

For a 200 lb guy, 2000 (BMR) + 400 (DB) + 550 (P90X activity) = 2950 - 1000 (deficit)= 1950 (Run that for Phase 1 and 2 and you will be lean and mean). If you can stick that out for Phase 3 (this is where mental toughness comes in), infomercial here you come! Good Luck!

Oh and don't add the exercise into MFP with this formula, you have already taken that into account.
  • hotjava9
    hotjava9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    p90x is NOT, I repeat NOT a weight loss program and their diet isn't designed as such. You need energy for your exercise and fat ripper (50% protein 25/25 carbs fat) with reduced calories will work to cut fat off you. Drink 3 liters of water a day MINIMUM (3.5 is really ideal). You will need a low carb protein powder like Body fortress or bodylogix both have VERY low carbs for the protein you get (you can tell in the taste too, boo). I am nearing month 3 of p90x and learned how to do it the wrong way but since reading 2 books on nutrition and 1 on body building I wish I could start over!

Easier tips I may offer from my experience and pulling from friends who completed the program/body transformations
    1 Pre portion your meals is a great idea! Drop $10 on some decent tuperware at a closeout store like a big lots then make 2-3 days worth of food at a time high in protein a few good carbs. Veggies, Brown rice and chicken generally take up my containers.
    2 NO NO NO ALCOHOL AT ALL BAD CARBS AND IT HOLDS YOUR MUSCLE BACK FROM GROWING BY DEHYDRATING THEM!
    3 Get a pre workout supplement like jack3d or NO Explode to help push through your workouts and build musle and some generic creatine.
    4 Creatine is Creatine the generic stuff does just as well as the high end stuff. That coming from Zyzz himself.
    DO NOT LET EGO GET IN THE WAY! Listen to Tony. He can taunt you and be a jerk sometimes when you are just dying but he means it when he says don't let ego get in the way. Do your best don't hurt yourself. "If you need a break take a break!" just rest for an extra minute or 2 but not too long. (You may need an extra 5 minutes in plyo but keep stretching it out!)
    Good luck and if you need motivation or advice I'm here!