Running injury

Options
So I need advice.. Or maybe just support.

Basically, I got a running injury about 3 weeks ago. Waited a few days, thinking I was better and reinjured it. Went to the Dr. on March 22nd. The Dr. told me I injured my hip flexor. I was to take 600 mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day. Ice pack it 3 times a day for 15 minutes. The first week I wasn't taking the Ibuprofen like the Dr. had suggested. But for the past 5 days I have.
The Dr said it'd take 2-4 weeks for it to heal. Also that I shouldn't walk, run, bike, elliptical, ect. I shouldn't do anything that uses the hip flexor (which means EVERYTHING).
Went walking last night for 2 miles. I HATE WALKING!! It just makes me wish I was running even more.
I was a little sore this morning. Which TOTALLY sucks!
Since my plan was to walk until Friday then start adding running into my walks.
I'm signed up for a Marathon on May 19th.
With what I've told you. Do you think I should give up hope that I'll be able to run the Marathon? The thought of this makes me want to cry.:sad:
Do you have any suggestion on helping me heal? Or training tips?
I'm not worried about having a fast time for my marathon just to finish. Is it possible to do without injuring myself?
This is ALL I can think about!!
Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be appreciated. :flowerforyou: Thanks in advance.

Replies

• hegster01
    hegster01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh that really stinks :( Have you asked your doctor his thoughts on running the marathon? I guess the questions I have for you are how long have you been running/training? Is it a full marathon or half marathon? I would def. take the Ibuprofen as suggested for the swelling. Other than that my inexperienced self can only offer up what I would do. If I had a marathon coming up in 6 weeks and had an injury that could take up to 4 weeks to heal I would take a full 2 weeks off from training (make sure to ice it and take meds to bring swelling down). I would also either go to a chiro (mine is wonderful and big into fitness) or go for massage thereapy treatments for the hip. In 2 weeks I would start back to training slowly and build back up from there. Best of luck with the marathon - you can do it!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's a full marathon. I was training pretty good before the injury. My longest run though was just over 10 miles. The 10 miles wasn't hard though. So I'm hoping I can add miles pretty easily. Thanks for the help. :)
  • mei1005
    mei1005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Be very careful - you walk a fine line. If your goal is simply to finish the marathon, you may still be okay. You'll just have to take it much slower than planned. If your goal is to finish in a specific time, that may not be possible with this injury. The runner in me completely sympathizes with you wanting to achieve your goal. But 26.2 miles is a lot of miles to conquer if you're not completely healthy. You risk injuring yourself further and having to take much more than even 2 weeks off if you, either miss a lot of training due to resting the injury until it is fully healed OR try running that distance on even a partially injured hip.

Best of luck to you! And remember, there are other marathons if this one doesn't work out.
  • Faybobs
    Faybobs Posts: 4
    Options
    Hip flexor injuries suck! my right side is so painful still from a car accident in 2010, i struggle to stretch it and improve the strength in it, i used to do a bit of running, but its put me off trying again for fear of relapsing completely again (i couldn't walk after the accident) My physio gave me lots of exercises to do to strengthen it but i find them boring!... I hope you dont give up hope of running the marathon! :) it may motivate me into trying running again..

Fay x

p.s try Yoga, its fab for core strengthening / hip flexor stretches when its not painful, but first you need to rest it and do as the doc says or you may make it worse x
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ive had a hip flexor injury and I have a friend who had one. Here is the short version of the story. I listened to the doctor and I took off of running and working that part of my body for 4 full weeks, yes four full weeks. I was better in four weeks, i was running again in five weeks, i was back to my old self in 8 weeks.

My friend, she tried to muscle through the injury, she kept running didnt rest. She was out of commission for a year and a half. Rest and you will heal, worry about the marathon after that...
  • AActon28
    AActon28 Posts: 32
    Options
    I used to get hip flexor injuries in high school sports (football, wrestling, track) all the time. I was told by my athletic trainer that if I could tolerate the pain, then go for it. In your case, you are not sprinting so an acute and drastic injury is not very likely but not impossible. I would only rest my injuries for a few days max and it always helped but you're more prone to reinjury. Unfortunately, it hurts throughout the entire forward motion of your stride so walking and even running with a shortened stride like the forefoot and barefoot runners doesn't help much and still aggravates the hip flexor. Listen to your body...if you have a high pain threshold go for it. If not...take the recommended rest and wait for a later marathon.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your "pain" and am so into running/doing races that very little will keep me from them. And I'm currently injured as well. That said, can you downgrade from the full to a half or 10k they might be doing at the event?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Did you see a regular PCP or a sports medicine doc? I find regular doctors always say "rest" but a sports medicine doctor understands you need to train and will suggest training modifications and cross-training while you heal.

Not that a sports medicine doc will never say to rest. Mine told me the last time I aggravated my calf injury that I couldn't run for at least a week but 2 would be better. But a PCP would have said not to run for weeks and weeks and weeks and there was no need for that given the type of injury I had.
  • crystalslight
    Options
    Did you see a regular PCP or a sports medicine doc? I find regular doctors always say "rest" but a sports medicine doctor understands you need to train and will suggest training modifications and cross-training while you heal.

Not that a sports medicine doc will never say to rest. Mine told me the last time I aggravated my calf injury that I couldn't run for at least a week but 2 would be better. But a PCP would have said not to run for weeks and weeks and weeks and there was no need for that given the type of injury I had.

It was a sports medicine Dr. He knew I was training for this specific marathon. He even mentioned he'd be there in the medic tent. He said he thought I'd be able to run it even if I wasn't able to train for 4 weeks. I'm just NOT as sure. I've never ran that far especially after coming out of an injury.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but you should take it easy getting back up to your long runs, it took me 3 weeks to heal my adductors and I have to do intervals. If they are really sore the next day I have either an active rest day or just rest completely. Take your time because reinjury can take even longer to heal as well as do more damage. Good Luck and I do hope you make it.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It was a sports medicine Dr. He knew I was training for this specific marathon. He even mentioned he'd be there in the medic tent. He said he thought I'd be able to run it even if I wasn't able to train for 4 weeks. I'm just NOT as sure. I've never ran that far especially after coming out of an injury.
    I would trust him then.

Also, I ran a half-marathon after not training for 2 months. It wasn't pretty, but I got through it. (I couldn't train due to a head injury and probably shouldn't have done the HM but... um, well, I did it. :laugh:)
  • crystalslight
    Options
    Ok runners.. Made myself a training program. Tell me if you think it is over zealous..

This week is just walking. Or I might just rest. Not sure yet.

Monday 9th- 3-4 mile run
    Tues 10th- rest
    Wed 11th- 5-7 mile run at the track
    Thurs 12th- rest
    Fri 13th- biking
    Sat 14th- 8-10 mile long run
    Sun 15th- rest
    Mon 16th- 4-5 mile run
    Tues 17th- 3-4 mile run
    Wed 18th- 6-8 mile run at track
    Thur 19th- rest
    Fri 20th- biking
    Sat 21st- 11-13 mile long run
    Sunday 22nd- rest
    Mon 23rd- 5-6 mile run
    Tue 24th- 3-4 mile run
    Wed 25th- 6-8 mile run at the track
    Thur 26th- rest
    Fri 27th- biking
    Sat 28th- 30k race (18.64miles)
    Sun 29th- rest
    Mon 30th- 5-6 mile run
    Tue 1st- 4 mile run
    Wed 2nd- 5-6 at track
    Thur 3rd-rest
    Fri 4th- biking
    Sat 5th- 15- 20 mile long run
    Sun 6th- rest
    Mon 7th- 5 mile run
    Tue 8th- 4 mile run
    Wed 9th-5-6 mile run at track
    Thur 10th- rest
    Fri 11th- biking
    Sat 12th- 8-10 mile run
    Sun 13th- rest
    Mon 14th- 2 mile run
    Tue 15th- rest
    Wed 16th- rest
    Thur 17th- 2 mile run
    Fri 18th- rest
    SATURDAY MARATHON DAY 26.2 MILES!!!

Any suggestions or opinions would be great. I really don't want to reinjure myself but I also want to be able to run this marathon. I think this training sounds doable as long as (a) my injury is healed by Monday (b) it's not adding too many miles too quickly, which may cause injury. So, tell me what you all think. Again thank you SO MUCH for your responses. I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    I am a beginning runner so can't comment directly on that, however I have had multiple sports related injuries over the years and it has been my experience that I do NOT heal as quickly without the appropriate rest AND THE IBUPROFIN!

In my opinion, you're foolish to push it. Ask yourself if you'd rather run the marathon and then have issues for the rest of the year, or take it easy and be able to be fully active by Memorial Day.

If you were my sister I'd probably kick your butt a bit for ignoring the doctor.
  • ralphhavens
    Options
    Too bad about the hip flexor. It's a funny question but how did your doctor dx the hip flexor? How do they know it wasn't something else? It could be a hip flexor muscle but muscles typically heal quickly a few days or week. If it hangs around it may be referred pain or it may be spasming to protect something else. Some things to consider especially if it's right sided, visceral stuff, such as the colon and gluten sensitivity which is very common. Also checking lower lumbar spine for referred pain from a nerve or disc. Also sacroiliac joint or even kidney, ureter, bladder stuff. I would recommend finding someone trained in putting hands on and knowing what your body is telling them. This could be some osteopaths, chiropractors, physical therapists, energy workers or others. But M.D.'s rarely have that skill. Some do just that most do not. I would recommend finding someone to truly examine your body with a hands on manual therapy or energy medicine approach. let me know if you need help finding someone or need more info ralph@missionhillspt.com
  • AmyG17
    AmyG17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I feel your pain girl!! I am a fellow runner I only do 1/2's tho ;) I injured my IT band, I knew I should stay off it but I was so worried about not getting my miles in. The day of the race I really hurt myself I finished the race with good time but I am still healing and it's been a year. I will be running no 1/2 this year only 5K's if I am lucky :( It sucks and I know we don't have the same injury but if I could take it back and rest I would of. Good luck!!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Ok runners.. Made myself a training program. Tell me if you think it is over zealous..

This week is just walking. Or I might just rest. Not sure yet.

Monday 9th- 3-4 mile run
    Tues 10th- rest
    Wed 11th- 5-7 mile run at the track
    Thurs 12th- rest
    Fri 13th- biking
    Sat 14th- 8-10 mile long run
    Sun 15th- rest
    Mon 16th- 4-5 mile run
    Tues 17th- 3-4 mile run
    Wed 18th- 6-8 mile run at track
    Thur 19th- rest
    Fri 20th- biking
    Sat 21st- 11-13 mile long run
    Sunday 22nd- rest
    Mon 23rd- 5-6 mile run
    Tue 24th- 3-4 mile run
    Wed 25th- 6-8 mile run at the track
    Thur 26th- rest
    Fri 27th- biking
    Sun 29th- rest
    Mon 30th- 5-6 mile run
    Tue 1st- 4 mile run
    Wed 2nd- 5-6 at track
    Thur 3rd-rest
    Fri 4th- biking
    Sat 5th- 15- 20 mile long run
    Sun 6th- rest
    Mon 7th- 5 mile run
    Tue 8th- 4 mile run
    Wed 9th-5-6 mile run at track
    Thur 10th- rest
    Fri 11th- biking
    Sat 12th- 8-10 mile run
    Sun 13th- rest
    Mon 14th- 2 mile run
    Tue 15th- rest
    Wed 16th- rest
    Thur 17th- 2 mile run
    Fri 18th- rest
    SATURDAY MARATHON DAY 26.2 MILES!!!

Any suggestions or opinions would be great. I really don't want to reinjure myself but I also want to be able to run this marathon. I think this training sounds doable as long as (a) my injury is healed by Monday (b) it's not adding too many miles too quickly, which may cause injury. So, tell me what you all think. Again thank you SO MUCH for your responses. I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

Looks like you've already made up your mind. I've worked with sports meds docs, you'll be better off in the long run resting. You may want to participate in this marathon but is it really worth injuring yourself further and not being able to do anything for months??? Probably not.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I injured my hip flexor muscles in January and the good news is that they are pretty well better now and have been for about a month or so. I was three weeks away from running a half marathon and ended up doing the 10k race at the event instead. I felt good doing 10k and I think I could probably have completed the distance for the half but I'm not confident that I would have healed up as fast if I had pushed myself that far.

I saw a great physiotherapist who gave me exercises to stretch and strengthen the area and I think that really helped - along with ice and anti-inflammatories. I didn't run or even walk for exercise (as opposed to walking to get through my day!) for about 10 days, then I started back with walking first - for a week, then run/walk intervals, then running slowly and am well and truly back to running normally now.

My best suggestion is to ask your doctor/health professional for advice specifically relating to YOU and when you should start running again. But, if you can't do that - rest and walk for one week. Walk/run for one week. Run slowly for one week. See how you feel after that. I think you'll only be able to judge about the marathon closer to the time.

I was really upset about not doing my half marathon in Feb - I had a lot of emotions around it as it was in the town where my mum passed away and a lot of my training (and the race course) was running past the hospice where she was before she died. But, once I made the decision to run the shorter distance I got a bit of perspective back and realised that mum would have been the first one to tell me not to risk more injury.

There will always be more races, if you can't do this marathon, try for a shorter distance and start planning for the next one.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    As am medical professional I would caution you against getting back to exercise too quickly after an injury like that. As much as you want to run in the marathon it's not worth the potential risk of a permanent injury. Then you may not be able to run ever again. Give yourself some time to heal and only run when your body is ready to run.

*Just my opinion...I had to give up running due to a back injury.....for now.*
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm SUPER late to this party but I wanted to add that I hope you made the decision to rest. I know more than a few runners, from beginner to elite, who went back to training too soon after an injury and hurt themselves even worse. (I'm one of them, I didn't listen to my doc for weeks and now my days are all crutches and orthopedic surgeons and MRIs.) If you take the time off, you'll heal quickly, but if you keep running, you won't ever heal and can do some serious damage.

Also, this part of your training plan concerns me:

The week prior you're running 13 max. That's a huge jump from 13 to 19 lady, even without an injury. With an injury it's kind of reckless.

I say cancel the marathon. See if you can apply your entry fee to next year and plan for another marathon in the fall. It's not worth risking a season or career ending injury. Swim!