Epic gym failure... help needed!

Options
viclee1
viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
ok so I've been hitting the gym since Dec, got familiar with the weight room in Jan. Just starting up Jamie Eason's livefit program, doing a dry run (1st week of exercises, no major diet change) before official start on sunday. I made it through days 1 & 2 workout, today was a legs day. I had to ask one of the big guys how to do barbell squats,that was fine, he was super nice. But I absolutely for the life of me could not figure out how to do seated calf raises. I loaded the machine, sat down, then sat there. Fortunately my co-worker came to get me and go home. I'm not even sure I was at the right maching! lol HELP!! so embarrassed!!

Replies

• CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I always go on youtube and search for stuff because I totally do the same thing lol
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-calf-raise

As always: "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Seated Calf Raises(or any calf exercises) you are mainly just moving your heel's up and down...and thats basically how its done from my understanding.

So you sit on the machine, put the ball of your foot on the bar and then just raise/lower your heels.. you should feel a calf stretch when you do it.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    good on you! I am in the last week of LiveFit! it was brilliant, learnt so much.
    I used to print out the programme each day, and before I went to the gym run through it as if you click on each exercise you get a little video instructing demo.
    If you click underneath the photo next to each workout you should get it.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    first off, well done on getting into the lifting section, and being fearless to ask for help! many women (and men too) are afraid to even go try.

now, as for calf raises. honestly, you're probably better off just doing traditional calf raises (unweighted if you prefer to start) on an aerobics step platform or similar.

I'll let others direct you to proper machine form, as I'm not certain I've used a machine for that myself.
  • viclee1
    Options
    I did look at the video, issue is this machine was different, there was no safety handle.

It looked like this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/SeatedCalfRaiseMachineExercise.JPG/350px

except the bar with the weights was higher, usually there's a diagram and write up on the machines, this one had none :(
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    Body Fitness is an app I use while at the gym to show detailed instructions on how to do a move. And no one needs to know what I'm looking at. ;)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Was the bar adjustable? Maybe a guy with much longer lower legs had just used it.
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    i as well go to youtube on a regular basis! On that site they will show you anything from building a house to changing your underwear lol!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    the machine at my gym has a release lever. you sit down, put your feet on the little thing at the bottom, lift your calves/knees a bit, and release the lever.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    when in doubt check youtube
  • viclee1
    Options
    the machine at my gym has a release lever. you sit down, put your feet on the little thing at the bottom, lift your calves/knees a bit, and release the lever.
    this is what I thought, but couldn't find a lever?! wtf?!

while i've got ppl's attention, is there a seperate machine for seated leg curls vs. extensions, or can you do them on the same one? I just did lying ones for my hamstring cuz I know how and where that machine works, one blunder / day is all I can handle! lol
  • viclee1
    Options
    thought you would all like to know that I got a buddy to show me this! It pushes away from you after it's engaged! lol and they just added a bunch of new gym equipment, so nobody can find anything! lol soo funny! I also lost my standing calf raise machine and stretching area :( Today everyone was super chatty, I guess the weights/ gym aren't soo scary after all!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Your gym doesn't have a floor staff member you can ask for help with a particular machine? WE have one at all times who wanders around the floor, available for assistance...
  • will4gzus
    Options
    Go to youtube and search seated calf raises. There are many vids to show you how to do it. The key is not weight, but proper form getting a full range of motion. Most folks in the gym do not know how to do this exercise, so do not feel bad. Slow controlled reps with maximum stretch at the bottom and full contraction at the top.