Question for Runners

Options
Has anyone started out as not a runner but now loves it? I can run about 3 miles but I can't find a love for it. I run outside and on a treadmill but it feels like torture! Could use some words of encouragement. How'd you get over it?

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love running... when I am in good running shape. When I get out of shape, I absolutely hate all the work I have to do to get good at running again.

I can't run on treadmills or around tracks, or even on concrete. I find some nice trails, well-maintained or not, but usually not heavily used, and just run out in nature. I take my music and enjoy the solitude. It's very free and relaxing. If I try to run anywhere else, or in any other way, I hate it. Running is all about being in the right place in your head, and it's different for everyone. So try new things, run new places, get new music. Just keep running!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love running... when I am in good running shape. When I get out of shape, I absolutely hate all the work I have to do to get good at running again.

I can't run on treadmills or around tracks, or even on concrete. I find some nice trails, well-maintained or not, but usually not heavily used, and just run out in nature. I take my music and enjoy the solitude. It's very free and relaxing. If I try to run anywhere else, or in any other way, I hate it. Running is all about being in the right place in your head, and it's different for everyone. So try new things, run new places, get new music. Just keep running!

Ditto to all that!

I absolutely HATED running when I was younger. And the first time I ran even consistently (probably 6 months before my wedding because I wanted to lose weight) I really didn't enjoy it then either. Can't pinpoint exactly when the shift occurred, but I love running now and can't imagine my life without it. I'm going to be running my 5th full marathon in June, so it's totally possible to go from an absolute-non-runner to loving running.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    if the problem is boredom...try some new music, a new route, or find a local running group (often through a running or athletic store, or meetup.com). I love running, but I love it more when I am with people.
  • notdancinganymore
    notdancinganymore Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think either you love it or you don't. My hubby has been running with me for the last two years, and he does it as a stress release and health reasons, but he still doesn't love it. I however get silly and giggly and "high" from it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started running a few years ago because I knew it was good for me but it was definitely a chore.

As I persisted, and got little better, I found that it gave me this really powerful feeling, a sense of accomplishment if you will, and I found myself looking forward to getting out running, pushing myself harder and going longer distances. Believe me, I was probably more surprised than anyone that I actually enjoyed running (I hated it as a kid) for the sake of running. It sounds weird but for me the run is its own reward.

Having said that, you might never grow to love running and that's perfectly ok - your thing may be biking or swimming or playing tennis or lifting weights, all that matters is that you enjoy what you're doing because you're far more likely to stick with something that's fun than with a chore.
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options
    Just started up again about a month ago, and just last night I posted on FB "It's official....I love to run." lol Heading out for a good one shortly!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If it feels like torture, maybe you are trying to run too fast? Find a nice place you like to drive through or look at anyway - nice neighborhood, park, etc, get some music that you love, and smile! Maybe bring a friend? I love running when my boyfriend goes with me.

What drives me is getting better almost every time. I keep track of how far or how fast, and I am working on improving both. "Beating" myself feels awesome, so that is motivation for me. I hope you find yours! I now can't stop running, I love it!
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I recently started running too and I agree that going running on trails makes it much more enjoyable! We are doing the C25K ... starting week 4 tonight! (hope the rain stops by then!)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Or find something else you love, swimming and biking burn lots of calories and are good for your heart and lungs also :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Running is something you either love or you hate.

I love it. Hell I don't even mind the TM runs that I do! My husband hates it but does it because it's another form of cardio.

If you hate it then don't do it. There's a lot of other forms of cardio that you can do that you'll probably enjoy more.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    IF you can run 3 miles. . .run a 5k race. I was only running to get to that distance and once I could, I ran a race at my son's university. (**sigh** I'm old enough to have kids in college!) This was 5 months ago. I placed second in my age group and got a beer stein! I was elated!!! Not bad for a rookie (40 year old to boot)!! Then, I realized I was hooked on running when I had an overuse injury shortly there after and had to lay off for about 3 weeks. It was unseasonably warm here and I saw people running and was JEALOUS!!! That wasn't me. . . ever. But now it is!! I absolutely hate missing a run. I'm getting ready to run a half marathon on May 6th. Oh... I just started running in July 2011 a couple months ahead of my 40th b-day. If I can become a convert, nearly anyone can. Keep running!!! :-)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm with those that found a love for running when doing on a trail! I just love being outdoors on a trail in the morning. My fav trail winds along beside a river so I see beautiful trees, the river, wildlife, and mountains in the distance. Yeah, I love it! Cyling is my real passion and running is my cross training, but the trail makes it work for me.
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I love it when there is nobody around. I love sprinting more than long distance because you use so much energy in such a short time that it makes me feel free! If that makes sense. Try interval running if jogging alone doesn't suit you, or try changing your music or where you run :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I joined a running group and suddenly running became more fun! Now, we socialize while we run and the time flies. I recommend researching for one in your area. Meetup.com has lots of running groups and they're free!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Has anyone started out as not a runner but now loves it? I can run about 3 miles but I can't find a love for it. I run outside and on a treadmill but it feels like torture! Could use some words of encouragement. How'd you get over it?

I always hated running, thought it was just not for me. I don't know why I love it so much now and it doesnt matter if I watch TV on the treadmill, listen to music or talk radio or even run outside listening to nature. I just LOVE it.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think a HRM can help make your runs much more enjoyable.

Also, someone else suggested you sign up for a race, and I agree that that might give you some more motivation to like running.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For me, its a love/hate relationship. I love the feeling of accomplishmnet, and most times even love the run. I really should be doing more weight training, but don't want to give up the ability to average a 8:30 mile. Last April I was thrilled with an 11 minute mile, for one mile. Now a 43 min. 5 mile run is the goal. I feel that if I stop running, I will "lose" the ability. I think the prior advice of changing up the scenery, music, running with others is all great. Maybe I should follow some of this advice.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, so I hear you.

Honestly, the first 1-3 miles of any of my runs are the part that I dislike the most. It's my body still trying to figure it's running and to be completely honest - running IS uncomfortable. However, the runner's high that I get AFTER the first 3 miles is amazing :)

Running outside is really great. Do you listen to music? It can help a lot, even on the treadmill. Just keep at it, it grows on you.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I started with friends, so it became social. I don't always love it but I like it when I'm done :)
    I hate the treadmill and I'm happiest on trails. Good music and doing to for the therapy..it is a mental game, not giving up, pushing myself further, going just that little bit faster. But seriously if you don't love it, and you hate it don't! There are lots of other cardio choices out there.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I'm a total noob. For months my trainer recommended running as the best cardio to help loose weight. I held off and made him a deal that I won't pick up running until I either hit 150 lbs or fit into a size 7/8 jeans. A week after my birthday last year, I fit into size 7/8 jeans. I haven't gotten pass 150 lbs YET but I got on the treadmill and started a love/hate relationship with it. I don't do things without a goal in mind. That same week we had Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society do a presentation and figured why not. I joined for a half marathon thinking what's 7-10 miles? I nearly fell of my chair after I found out it was for 13.1 miles :noway: I can run on a treadmill for at least 2 miles but beyond that was TORTURE! I'd rather be outside with all the distractions erm.. scenery! I realized a few weeks into practice that I do better doing run/walk intervals and that's how I've been doing it ever since. :smile:

A great running playlist also helps get you going and in your zone :heart: