Getting rid of man arms?

Options
I am losing weight pretty consistently and feeling great. I had quite a layer of fat on my arms that I've been doing push ups to try to get rid of (Feet up on yoga ball style push ups) I am having issues with getting my arms to look good though. I continue to build muscle in my arms rather than just get rid of the fat and now I look like I have man arms because my body is getting smaller. I have started sit ups on the yoga ball to try to build some muscle in my trunk and proportion things out a bit, but I'd rather just look like a normal toned woman!

I have a picture in my profile so you can understand (and I'm wearing a bra in it, I know how that offends some people!) Do I have to switch to cardio only workouts? And what would work best?

And FYI, I know some people don't believe you can build muscle in a short time, I just so happen to be one of those genetically blessed (cursed?) women. My mom, her siblings, my grandpa, all the same. None of us ever lift and manage to build muscles. I was thinking about starting lifting just to try to even things out, but I'm afraid that will just bulk me up more.

Replies

• daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It seems to be on the of the last places I lose weight.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Embrace the testosterone. Lift more, eat more, bulk up, pose for fitness magazines. You could be famous.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Same problem. That's why I stopped weight training until I lost some more weight (which now I believe is counterintuitive and a bad idea, but whatever). I'll always have thick arms, though, even at my size.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have "man arms", but I understand what you mean. My legs tend to bulk up in ways that I find unattractive. I don't think spot training works to remove specific fat deposits, so if it really bothers you maybe stop the extra upper body workouts, and cut back to whatever you'd normally do for overall toning? Best thing would be to learn to love the shape nature gave you, but I'm sure you already know that, lol.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My arms looked similiar before I lost quite a bit of bodyfat. They've leaned out now.

Good luck!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    My arms looked similiar before I lost quite a bit of bodyfat. They've leaned out now.

Good luck!

Thank you!! I wouldn't mind having your arms!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Meh. Better than having just plain fat arms. :P

Once you cut more body fat it should look more appealing. :)
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Embrace the testosterone. Lift more, eat more, bulk up, pose for fitness magazines. You could be famous.

Hahaha I've hated it my whole life!! When I ran track, I had such embarrassingly big leg muscles! I don't think I could ever embrace it, I can barely "accept" it muchless embrace it lol.

@Rainbow, that IS true. It does look better than the fat arms I had!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I had big, thick arms too! Started lifting heavy (compound lifts) in addition to my Couch to 5K program. Burned the fat and build nice lean muscle! Don't give up...I would actually suggest you continue strength training on your arms and burn off the additional fat that's making you look bulky.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I love my muscles and the fact that my arms are getting bigger with muscle instead of just being flabby. I have always been solid. I take after my dad--ginormous calves and all. :)

Good luck cutting! :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my legs... Just gotta keep doing cardio to burn the fat over them.
  • Cake_Fiend
    Cake_Fiend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do toning exercises with small weights (3 - 5 kg) and lots of reps. And make sure you're doing plenty of cardio.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Do toning exercises with small weights (3 - 5 kg) and lots of reps. And make sure you're doing plenty of cardio.

No, just no.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! I wouldn't worry about it. Just be proud of being a strong woman!