C25K Folks...What have you learned since you started??? Tip

Options
2»

Replies

• sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Dont doubt the program, it works! Stick with it and give it all you got!
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think I'm starting week 8 today (I'm also doing the iPhone app that's an 8 week program) so I'm on the home stretch! 28 min run today.

I have never, ever been a runner. I don't particularly enjoy it either but I want to do a triathlon (on my bucket list) so the 5K portion is kind of key :) That being said, running really is a mental sport. Breaking through those barriers is just as hard and continuing to breathe while you run (and sometimes harder!).

My main tips would be:
    1. Stay positive! I'd bet you're a better runner than you think you are.
    2. Don't repeat a day unless you have you - don't preemptively think you're not going to be able to complete an interval and give up before you even try.
    3. Don't be afraid to slow down either. I started off running 5.5-6 mph during my intervals and now I run at 5 mph. I even went down to 4.8 which is almost a glorified power walk. You can always work on speed later - getting the time in is important.
    4. Don't give up! I love the motivational poster that says something like "Tired of starting over? Stop giving up!" This is the 4th time (I think) doing this program and it's the first time I've gotten past week 4. If you have a set back (miss a run, don't finish an interval etc) just keep going and start fresh the next day you plan on running. You can do it :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm still mostly an interval runner with 2 half marathons, a 15K, two 10Ks and multiple smaller races under my belt since starting C25K last April.

My best advice:

1. Do not run more often than every other day.
    2. If you feel like you're running fast enough, you're running too fast. It's not about speed right now, it's about endurance.
    3. Trust the program. Don't try to go faster, don't run every day and do believe you can do that next long run.
    4. If your shins, ankles or knees hurt, and you don't have an underlying medical issue, you're probably doing something wrong:
    -- You're going too fast
    -- You don't have the right shoes
    -- You're running on the wrong type of surface
    -- You're running too often or not resting enough between runs
    -- You're doing high impact activities on the days between

Oh and number 5? Have fun and be ready to start spending lots of money on race fees and running gear. :laugh:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've just done week 5 run 3 - it jumps from 2 x 8 minute runs, to a 20 minute run, and I completed it with a smile on my face.

you really can do more than you think.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Pick a speed you'd like to be running at at the end of the program. Don't progress to the next week if you can't do the current week at that speed. For me, I'd just like to be a 5 MPH at the end of the program. When I start a new week, I'll slow it down to 4.5 mpg or 4.7 if I can swing it. Then I keep repeating the week until I'm comfortable at 5 mph. Actually, I completed week 4 and was repeating it when I spoke with a guy at the running store and he recommended not running quite so much yet since I was having trouble with shin splints. After new shoes, I went back to week 3 and ran last night with no shin pain! It was relatively easy but I'm going to keep doing week 3 again and then go back to week 4 and see how my shins hold up.

I also do not run 2 days in a row. I workout 2 days on, 1 day off. One of the workout days will be walking and one a walk/run combo.
  • corrsinblue
    Options
    Hey- Friend me if you would like! I'm finishing up week 3 and also running a 5k in May.
  • llschl
    llschl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You all are reading and writing my thoughts! I am in week 7 or 8 and am up to running 2.75 miles in 30 minutes. At about week 5, I focused more on the distance than the time. My endurance is incredible compared to where it was. I have NEVER ran before in my life. It is a mental game and purely about determination. My tips would be to 1) Not stop in the middle of a run for a break as it is too hard to get started again 2) Run outside - it is so much easier (at least for me) and cooler 3) Track your time/distance and keep a log on MFP 4) Share your successes with those around you. Someone posted on here that they sounded lame when they said they could run for 3 whole minutes. I remember thinking the same thing but I was so proud of myself. That was a huge accomplishment for me! Now I can say that I can run for 30 whole minutes!

I plan to complete my first 5K in about two weeks and am looking for more races after that one to keep me motivated. I plan to add a quarter mile to each week's training to work my way up to a 10K next. Who knows what is in store for me!?!
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 again. That 20 min run at the end was tough, I made it through 17 mins without stopping but it was really really hard. I think I'm going to do it again, at least day 2 the 8 min run 5 min walk 8 min run again. Until I can get that down.

I'm kind of bored with it I guess. But I'm going to push through.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I finished the program a couple of weeks ago and I'm still running three days a week, anywhere from 2 - 4 miles depending on how I feel. :bigsmile:

My advice is good shoes, good warm up, stretch afterward, and don't let the upcoming weeks intimidate you! There are some big jumps in week 4 and beyond, but I say try it before you chicken out and decide to repeat the previous day or week - you will likely surprise yourself and be able to complete it, even if you have to run slowly! I was nervous about those longer runs, but I went for it each and every week, and finished the program without having to repeat a single day. I was so happily surprised!

That being said, if you find that you truly can't complete a day, no shame in repeating! I love c25k and am happy to call myself a runner! Can't complain about the boost in weight & inches lost, either!