Affordable Meals

Options
Hello everyone :)
My boyfriend and I are about to get our first place. We will be grocery shopping for ourselves for the first time!
I am good at shopping and finding deals but I am wondering how you do it. Also it doesnt help that my boyfriend is a complete meat and potatoes man, though he WILL try new things.

Does anyone have some go to inexpensive dinners/ meals that we could try?

Along with this new conquest is a goal of my own to pack my lunch (EVERYday) for work and eat breakfast at home/at work. So, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions

Thanks!!

Replies

• kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    I've been obsessing over the recipes at skinnytaste.com. I make a lot of them and freeze them, as well. They're not too expensive to make and they taste really good.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I was just going to suggest Skinnytaste.com as well. While a few of her recipes have some obscure, expensive ingredients, most of them use pretty inexpensive stuff. I also like Emily Bites, which is very similar. My husband is impossible when it comes to food but there are some Skinny Taste and Emily Bites meals that he asks me to make again and again! I, too, will make them ahead of time and freeze, along with some extra meals for him in case he doesn't like what I'm eating. That way, we can just pop dinner into the microwave and still have fresh, healthy, home cooked meals. :)
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you want to pack a lunch and don't have time to make recipes, try Cedarlane frozen foods. I found them in the organic section of the grocery store. They have all natural ingredients and taste great.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I take leftovers to work, usually in the form of chicken or lean beef stir fry with veg, it's delish the next day and filling.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One of the cheapest meals I make is stir fry. I use two bags for Fred Meyer or Kroger brand frozen stir fry with noodles mix.....usually on sale for $1 per bag, I add chicken, beef or shrimp and serve over a serving of rice. This feeds two adults nice size portions. We eat this a couple times of week.
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did a little experimenting with spaghetti and it turned out really delicous!
    Ronzoni Smart Taste thin spaghetti noodles (cook as directed) and toss with a table spoon of olive oil to keep from sticking after you drain them.
    Francesco Rinaldi no slat Traditional Pasta Sauce-add fresh minced garlic, cilantro, parsley, sage and oregano to taste...I also put fresh ground pepper. Simmer until warm.
    Fresh Raw Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Asparagus- cut into bite size and steam (be sure to under steam them to keep a good crunch. Add to the sauce after steamed and drained. Then mix in noodles.

It was really yummy! I even had my kids asking for seconds.
    Depending on how much you dish up...it is about 164 calories per serving! Awesome!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, good tips :)
    and now I just spent like 2 hours on Emily Bites. ha
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Every sunday I grill about a pound of chicken breasts. Then I roast with olive oil and salt at 400deg 5 small red potatos cut in half, a few carrots cut up, a calabash squash and a head of broccolli. Then I divide everything up in flip lock containers and put them in the fridge. My wife, who is a teacher, grabs one a day for lunch. Quick and easy, takes me less than an hour from store to fridge and for about $7.50 per week. Every few weeks she gets sick of it so I cook extra every night so she has food the next day. (Can you tell who cooks in my house?)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would say you. I share your feelings lol