measuring sticky foods

Options
Hi,
I'm new to actual measuring of food (i've been keeping a food diary of what I was eating, but not portion size). This might seem silly, but does anyone have suggestions for how to measure "sticky" foods (hummus, peanut butter, guacamole, etc)? If I'm going to the effort of measuring out 2 tablespoons of something, I want to make sure that I can eat all that i measured out. this is particulary annoying as I brown bag my lunch and can't just lick the spoon to get it all. Any help would be great. Thanks.
aerochic42

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    sure!

it's called a 'push measuring cup'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIMuYQNrWnisZHniR5LRIRlQVcAXfFN2LA0HRl6ZqVx8zXVsgb

I have one for cups and one that has teaspoon/tablespoon measurements. I found mine at a specialty kitchen store. Pull the bottom to the measurement you want, put the food in, and then push the bottom to expel the food. Works like a big syringe, so no wasted food, or sides to scrape.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Sometimes I'll use my digital scale instead of a measuring spoon for things like peanut butter. If I am going to put peanut butter on a piece of bread, I put the bread on the scale, then turn it on, so it says 0 with the bread on it, then put the peanut butter on until the scale says whatever a serving is supposed to weigh. I do creamy type salad dressings that stick to the spoon this way too even though it is a bit anal :ohwell:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I still level it out on the table spoon then scoop it out with my fingers. lol a little gross and messy but I only do this when cooking for myself as i don't measure for other people
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Why do you weigh your peanut butter?
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    sure!

I have one for cups and one that has teaspoon/tablespoon measurements. I found mine at a specialty kitchen store. Pull the bottom to the measurement you want, put the food in, and then push the bottom to expel the food. Works like a big syringe, so no wasted food, or sides to scrape.
    I second this. I have a couple of these that came from Pampered chef. 2 cup and a 1 cup. The one cup has tablespoon and tsp measurements as well.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    suggestions for how to measure "sticky" foods

Place the jar of peanut butter or houmus on your digital scale and zero it. Scoop out the required quantity of product - the scale will show -85g or whatever you've removed. Job done.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I weight it if it's convenient -otherwise I use measuring spoon and level it off. You can also spray it with a little oil to help it come out of the spoon.

It's way too easy for me to underestimate peanut butter....
  • LainieKnits
    LainieKnits Posts: 11 Member
    Options

The nutrition label will give a weight in addition to a volume measurement for a serving. Example, for peanut butter the label states that a serving is 2 Tbs or 32 grams. For some foods it is easier to take a weight than it is to scoop it into a measuring spoon and then scoop it back out.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I also weigh my peanut butter. A serving size is 2 Tbl or xxx grams, so I put the spoon on the scale, zero out the scale, and then spoon out the peanut butter until it totals the xxx grams. I use this method for carrot sticks with peanut butter. Yum!
  • billthekill
    Options

Place the jar of peanut butter or houmus on your digital scale and zero it. Scoop out the required quantity of product - the scale will show -85g or whatever you've removed. Job done.

Damn, that's a good idea. Never thought of that.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options

The nutrition label will give a weight in addition to a volume measurement for a serving. Example, for peanut butter the label states that a serving is 2 Tbs or 32 grams. For some foods it is easier to take a weight than it is to scoop it into a measuring spoon and then scoop it back out.

I eat it right out of the spoon...not hard to figure what 1 tbsp looks like...just saying
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    suggestions for how to measure "sticky" foods

Love this1:drinker:
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I eat it right out of the spoon...not hard to figure what 1 tbsp looks like...just saying

The whole point of the thread was that she didn't want to eat it right out of the spoon.
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    sure!

want
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

The whole point of the thread was that she didn't want to eat it right out of the spoon.

Agree! The whole point of the site is ACCURATELY tracking what you're eating. This is often done by weighing or measuring out portion sizes. Not sure why people have to be mean when others are trying to improve themselves...
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    sure!

I remember learning about these measuring cups in 7th grade home ec! I completely forgot about them since! Definitely need one.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ClassicPeanutPack_web.jpg

Squeezable single serving nut butters, liquid chocolates, honey spreads....
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    sure!

want

oh, forgot to mention you can get them from Amazon.com if you can't find them in your area!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options

Measuring cups and spoons can actually be inaccurate, the scale is not nearly. I weigh everything.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Gold star for you, but It's actually pretty easy to grossly underestimate or overestimate measurements for a lot of people.