Setup Polar HRM for more accurate calorie burn for known BMR

Options

Replies

• stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I did this correct, I have the metabolism of a 38 yr old...& I'm 24. This makes me sad.
    So I should put age 38 into my Polar FT4 instead of 24? Is that correct?

That just means you have the body composition - right now, of a 38 yr old with avg BF%.

Since you are working out - measure again in a month. May have lost BF%, and you'll be younger!

But if you do the HR tests, you may be younger in that way still.

Okay, changing it now. I've read many of your forum posts/responses to know that you do your research & know what you're talking about. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! I appreciate it.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump for later. thank you!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome. I didn't mean to make it sound like i was putting them together. lol. 85lbs and 20 years old? No way!!
    I've been netting really close to 1350, thats what i set my daily goal to. I eat my calories back 75% of the time, cuz food is awesome.

I was pretty stoked that the Covet xxxxxxxx bf% said I had 18.3! Pretty nuts. And that my BMR raised because of it.
    Is 1350 pretty good or should i raise it up to 1400?
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome. I didn't mean to make it sound like i was putting them together. lol. 85lbs and 20 years old? No way!!
    I've been netting really close to 1350, thats what i set my daily goal to. I eat my calories back 75% of the time, cuz food is awesome.

I was pretty stoked that the Covet xxxxxxxx bf% said I had 18.3! Pretty nuts. And that my BMR raised because of it.

Shoot, you got more muscle mass than other BMR calc's think, might as well feed what it can do!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Shoot, you got more muscle mass than other BMR calc's think, might as well feed what it can do!

Daang. I feel so mighty! LOL.
    Thanks so much! I'm glad I found this, I haven't lost a single pound in the past month!
    You, sir, are the best. :)
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    bump
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    bump.... :)
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Woohooo! I'm 25!!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Bmp
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused, please help, my BMR is 393 so that means I'm 78???
    **nevermind I can't read** LOL
  • sarahc0714
    Options
    Bump
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump to read later:flowerforyou: .
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Saving for later too.
  • heybales
    Options
    Woohooo! I'm 25!!!

Well, you have the Lean Body Mass of avg 25 yr old per BMR calc.

Wait, that's great too! Woohoo.
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump - great info :-)
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is great info but any particular reason you use the covert bf%?

I only ask because I have a big difference between my military bf% and covert...I guess I don't want to make things worse by changing the numbers.
  • heybales
    Options
    This is great info but any particular reason you use the covert bf%?

I only ask because I have a big difference between my military bf% and covert...I guess I don't want to make things worse by changing the numbers.

Just that it uses the most site measurements in it's calc, 6, plus gender/age/weight. Which allows greater accuracy.

The military calc only uses 3 measurements. Plus gender/height/weight.

Plus when you measure 10lb down the road, better encouragement for other loses seen.

Andy actually, I should probably say re-measure at 5lb loss. Because using a HRM probably means likely to be working out a lot, so body improvements besides weight loss may be going on.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here are my numbers:

Navy Women Only
    BF 28.7
    BRM 1525
    Age 32

Covert Bailey
    BF 23.25
    BMR 1613
    Age 13 :noway:

If I use the average I get:
    BF 25.98%
    BMR 1569
    Age 30

I'm 51 years old. I do work out A LOT and, except for 15 extra pounds, I'm in good shape for my age, but holy cow - 23.25% BF.

So, my HRM thinks I'm 165#, 5'6" and 51 right now. Does this mean I'm actually burning more or less calories than my HRM says?

I can barely balance my checkbook and this calculation made my head hurt. In the 50 days I been using MFP, I've only netted over the above calculated BMR on 5 days. I may have to take a nap before I try the step two calculations.

LOVE THIS POST! :love: :love: