How bad is it..?

Options
Just wondering. How bad is it to go completely off your calorie limit for one day? I'm asking as more of a confession, rather than a suggestion for the future. I have been soooooooooo hungry lately, and today I was over by the time dinner rolled around, and still starving. Anyway, can't make it to the gym today, so here I am. So far, almost 600 calories over...

Do any of you do this occasionally? I have heard that sometimes going above your calorie limit can boost metabolism, so maybe it's not so bad. I really don't know though.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to kill you unless you clean out a bakery or something.
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm going to follow this post because I did the exact same thing yesterday, and felt like I had undone all the hard work I've put in the last month since I joined here. I almost didn't go to the gym today because I felt as though I'd wrecked it all anyway and the amount of extra calories I ate would take days to burn off. But I don't think in the long run that it will hurt. Just start fresh tomorrow.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No biggie. Consider it a high calorie day, log it all in and move on.

I do calorie cycling so I always plan in high calorie and low calorie days in addition to my normal calorie days.
  • TabbyKatzzz
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Cleaning out a bakery honestly sounds awwweesome....that's my hunger talking.

Tomorrow is a new day. To the gym we will go...
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I try to cycle calories as well and work to a weekly average rather than a daily goal. This helps when you have crazy days, because one day doesn't kill the week.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I do it almost every weekend. I seem to not be able to stay on track when I just want to relax with my husband.
    It is not bad to do it every once and a while especially if your just hungry. So dont worry about today.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. Be thankful. Move on.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Yea one day isnt bad at all! I ate 4,000 calories total on saturday. Right back on track and im fine :]
  • miss_september
    Options
    I read that it take 3500 calories to gain one pound....that is why weight loss is so slow =-). That being said, 600 over is no biggie, and don't look at it as undoing all of your hard work, look at it as a well-deserved break =-)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I go over once a week on my weigh in day, and I usually don't log it, just because I can't be bothered to be honest - and I've lost almost every week. I don't know, one day is not going to make or break you. This is a lifestyle change remember, so you can figure out if you want to fit a day like this into your life or not. :)
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I read once that if you eat more one day, eat less one day, and alternate, that your body doesn't get used to the same thing. Don't know if that's worth anything, but it was in a magazine!!:laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    one day is fine. Infact I personally have a policy of eating whatever I want once a week and I'm fine so far
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    We all have Hollow Days (in which you're always hungry)... don't worry about it! =) Just start fresh tomorrow!
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After eating so "good" for a couple months I can't imagine going over because I'm so full now!! But I doubt one bad day amongst good days will do much just like one good day amongst bad won't do much either : ))
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not the only one jonesing for everything. I'm a carboholic today. I have to hang my head in shame because I ate 4 hot cross buns at one sitting. And don't bring any chocolate near me if you don't want to be attacked. :sad:
    I'm only guessing here but I do think that sometimes you get these cravings for a reason. It's the bodies way of telling you that it's missing out on something.