Workout Confession Time!! :P

Options
mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
Some people like to try to race others on the treadmill at the gym, so have you ever tried working out harder than the person next to you? (Question stolen from BodyRock's Facebook)

I have to admit... I have. Not recently, but sure... I like to show off sometimes! But nowadays when I go running, I just like to try and beat my own personal best. :) How about you!?

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    One time I followed a guy around who thought he was Billy....... Billy Badass. Always slamming weights and screaming because he was so strong. Everytime he would do a lift he'd huff and puff and yell. When he was done lifting I'd go stack more weight on whatever he was doing and lift it all calm like.

After doing that a half dozen times I finally said to him " Hey bro if It's too heavy lighten your load so You're not screaming all the time" The guy had a look in his eyes like I kicked his favorite puppy. He did stop exaggerating his lifts though so that made it worth it!
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't think there is anyone in my gym that I can yet out lift our or run but I am working on it :laugh:

There was a competition at our gym based on the number of 15 minute cardio sessions you logged and i did do an obsessive amount of sessions to win this.
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    No gym membership. But.... this entire town is my treadmill and I try to beat my best every time.
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    One time I followed a guy around who thought he was Billy....... Billy Badass. Always slamming weights and screaming because he was so strong. Everytime he would do a lift he'd huff and puff and yell. When he was done lifting I'd go stack more weight on whatever he was doing and lift it all calm like.

After doing that a half dozen times I finally said to him " Hey bro if It's too heavy lighten your load so You're not screaming all the time" The guy had a look in his eyes like I kicked his favorite puppy. He did stop exaggerating his lifts though so that made it worth it!

love it!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I got passed by a girl running the stairs today and I almost killed myself trying to pass her again. lol
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The only time I made a competition within a workout was in HS on lifting. But that was 22 (ouch) years ago.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at the gym really early, so when ppl start to get on the treadmill next to me I sometimes up my speed. It automatically makes them do the same and then I see who can outrun who lol. Not all the time, but once in awhile it's fun ; )
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    No... I know I can never do as well as everyone around me so I just try to beat ME and don't worry about what others are doing.

Note: I workout at home not at the gym so this is all very hypothetical.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have. I never win. I somehow always end up next to a soccer player/marathon runner who runs at 8 MPH for 2 hours!!
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options

LOL, that's awesome!

I would compete a little bit here and there, but not usually
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

hahahaha. I love that.
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but there is always someone in better shape than me. Instead, I try to beat my own records. Maybe I can find myself in better shape than I was last week! :laugh:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time for motivational reasons, especially when someone half my age is going all out on cardio, I will make sure I go just as all out and for longer. I almost always succeed. Yesterday, I ended up doing 105 minutes on the stairmaster at a good level because of the cute 20 something girl next to me. :)
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    all the time. every now and again my friends on fb will go into "must get hot for said party" mode (I'm in college). They start saying: "went to the gym 2 times today" and post pictures of their dinners and ****. Then I get all defensiv,m when they say "how long did you work out today" with this smirk (I can't stand the smirk)

I don't mean to get all defensive but um... I'm working my but off over here.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You guys are too funny! Competition is such a great natural motivator. :)
  • girlholiday
    Options
    I always wind up next to these people at the gym.

When I use the treadmill, I use hit up the incline and just power walk. I always wind up next to the person jogging, and smirking. I'm going to just keep on doing me, and not try to creep on the person next to me. I think it's kind of ~show off. I'm a fat girl trying to make myself better. I don't want to make anyone else, potentially, feel like their hardest isn't good enough or isn't enough.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I pretty much love everyone's response to this :) :P
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't try to compete on the treadmill because though I run, I can't run at the pace that the lighter/fitter people can. I do notice that I can sustain a high intensity longer than most people though. Most of the people who go faster than me on the treadmill only do it for short durations. Meanwhile, I can run for an hour or more without serious fatigue. I'd go faster by I let my heart rate dictate my pace. Once it reaches 90% of my max HR, then I really don't try and push it beyond that.

On the elliptical it's the opposite. I own the elliptical. I've yet to see a person doing more resisitance/time/pace than me. If they match my resistance than they are going at a slower strides/minute and usually for a shorter duration. Every once in awhile someone will match my pace but at a lower resistance. If I see it, I usually up my pace even more. I think it's more subconscious than anything.
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh..I always compete with the people who swim..the funny thing is most of them have no idea. I can race with someone 5 lanes away. It's always a lot of fun and keeps me from getting bored swimming my 2 miles. As I pass them I smile but only I can see it. Lots of fun for me!