Appendicitis?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Totally curious - If you had your appendix removed, how long were you out of work?

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    A week, but they caught mine before it actually ruptured.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    ugh that was a rough day. Woke up with pain that just wouldn't quit, ended up in the hospital and surgery a couple hours later. Anyway, they released me the day after surgery and I was home off work the next 4 days, plus weekend.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Mine ruptured. I was in the hospital for a week. I missed lots of summer break and some of the start of freshman year in high school because I took about 3 months to rehabilitate. Yea, I wasn't stitched up...I was left to heal from the inside out.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Three months? Holy hell, Q.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I suppose this depends on if they can do it laproscoically, or if they need to make a big incision. Generally speaking, of course..... Lapro=1-2 weeks; Big cut=6 weeks
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I suppose this depends on if they can do it laproscoically, or if they need to make a big incision. Generally speaking, of course..... Lapro=1-2 weeks; Big cut=6 weeks

Who knew? Thanks you :)
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i had mine out when i was 15, was an explatory surgery, incision from hip to hip. i'm not sure how long rehab took, as i got a staph infection while in the hospital, my incision split open, it had to be "packed" with iodine-soaked guaze for weeks, i had a drainage tube sticking out of my 15 year old tummy for about 3 months, draining into overnight maxipads that i had to place in the front or the incision so the ooze didn't ruin all my clothes.

it wasn't especially fun. and i'm sorry this was of no help. Hope you don't need this info...
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    i went to work the next day.

(in ER at noon, surgery by 1:45, home by 6pm, worked the next day)
  • odusgolp
    Options

You're so badass. Can I grope you?
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

You're so badass. Can I grope you?

I'm with odusgolp!
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine ruptured while I was at work. They send my dumb *kitten* home when I could no longer stand up. Gave in and went to the clinic a few hours later... They rushed me to the hospital. I think I missed a week and a half of work after that.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Mine ruptured. I was in the hospital for a week. I missed lots of summer break and some of the start of freshman year in high school because I took about 3 months to rehabilitate. Yea, I wasn't stitched up...I was left to heal from the inside out.

This was what happened to me too.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This was what happened to me too.

Also too stuborn and proud to go to the Dr.? lol
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Makes a big difference if your appendix ruptures and you get peritonitis. If you have other medical problems on top of that you could be in for a long haul.
  • rmoga99
    rmoga99 Posts: 37
    Options
    Most of the time (99.9%) of the time now the surgery is done laparoscopically. However, even when it is done non-laparoscopically the incision is quite small (unless it was "opened" for an unforeseen complication). Laparoscopically, about 1-2 weeks is average for time off work if it does not rupture. It depends on your baseline health and the state of your abdomen. Also, I'm sure it depends on the type of work you do (lots of lifting, might be longer).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Makes a big difference if your appendix ruptures and you get peritonitis. If you have other medical problems on top of that you could be in for a long haul.
    I didn't. I was the topic of a medical convention at Miami Children's b/c my white blood count was normal, I could hop on one foot, I was conscious, all I had was a fever and a slight pain at my side.

So now they know...they found my burst appendix goo sitting in a nice little pool behind my colon, not mixing with my other bodily fluids. True story.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I was the topic of a medical convention at Miami Children's b/c my white blood count was normal, I could hop on one foot, I was conscious, all I had was a fever and a slight pain at my side.

So now they know...they found my burst appendix goo sitting in a nice little pool behind my colon, not mixing with my other bodily fluids. True story.

If I was going to start a band, I think I'd name it "Appendix Goo". :laugh:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I had a fever and was vomiting for 3 days before I finally went in. On New Years Eve. I'm an accountant. That's the day we closed our fiscal year. I think I'm the only person who ever sat in the ER thinking, I hope to God it's appendicitis because otherwise my coworkers are going to KILL me! :p

Surgery around 5pm (lapro). Home the next morning, and I took two days off work. It didn't rupture. Mine was actually caused by a tumor blocking the opening of the appendix. The surgeon had to take part of the intestine where it was as well.