I guess I should have studied for my blood test!

Options
My HDL (good cholesterol) is low at 44! Any tips to increase it?

Replies

• Adrienne2001
    Options
    Mine is as well. My doctor told me the only thing that can improve that is to workout more. Mine has been low for a long time even back when I worked out 5 days a week, before I put on the weight, so I am not sure how that really works.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    She suggested more exercise. Dang it! I work out 5 days a week now. I hear fish oil might help. She also suggested I take a B-100.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fish oil
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    HDL cholesterol is increased by exercise.

28 year veteran Lab Tech ;)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    She suggested more exercise. Dang it! I work out 5 days a week now. I hear fish oil might help. She also suggested I take a B-100.

Fish oil isn't going to affect this type of cholesterol.

The B vitamin suggestion is to give you the energy to work out; otherwise it isn't going to affect your HDL either. Not that B vitamins aren't good for other things, though.

Exercise is it. Sorry, kiddo :)
  • Adrienne2001
    Options
    So what if you are already working out 5-6 days a week; what do you do then?
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options

Fish oil isn't going to affect this type of cholesterol.

The B vitamin suggestion is to give you the energy to work out; otherwise it isn't going to affect your HDL either. Not that B vitamins aren't good for other things, though.

Exercise is it. Sorry, kiddo :)

Dang it! I already work out 5 days a week and walk all over San Francisco since I don't have a car. I must be in really bad shape!!! And thank you for the input!!!
  • Mynameisbt
    Mynameisbt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more healthy fats. Healthy oils with lots of unsaturated fat like fish oil and olive oil are great. Also, nuts are good too. I try to get a lot of unsaturated fat in through my diet and for my last blood check my HDL was 88, so I know it works.