NOTE TO NEWBIES

Options
TAKE YOU MEASUREMENTS !!!!!!!!!

I wish I would have and know a lot of others wish they would have also. I have been doing MFP for almost 7 weeks and lost almost 20 pounds. But I am not really sure where I lost those 20 pounds. If I would have taken my measurements when I started, I would know.

Anyway, just my tip of the day I guess. Good luck and stick with it, it works.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Agreed! So wish I would have. I didn't take them until I had lost over 30 lbs.
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That is a great tip! I'm going to do this when I get home today. Thanks!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    And before pictures. You will WANT to see them later! I know you don't want to see them now, but take them and hide them away for a few weeks. In a month, take another picture and compare. You'll be surprised by how much better you're looking!
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    And before pictures. You will WANT to see them later! I know you don't want to see them now, but take them and hide them away for a few weeks. In a month, take another picture and compare. You'll be surprised by how much better you're looking!

Yea, that too. Just prepare for your life changing event and document it. If will help motivate yourself along the way.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you are working out another great app is the www.Jefit.com allows you to track your training progress. I track my measurements, pictures and strength goals there and food stuff here.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I agree, I regret that I never did.

Also, don't be ashamed to take before pictures, didn't do that either. :(
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    okay, will do, thank you for the advice!
  • actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Totally true. I started from the beginning and I'm pleased I did as 2 inches on my waist equates to a mere 11 lbs and the standard opinion online is 10 lbs to an inch if I remember correctly, on average.

I posted a while back asking how long it took peeps to lose 10 inches (as that's my goal) and didn't get any replies so I don't think that many take measurements every fortnight. It's another NSV that should really be promoted and used as a tool.

My goal isn't actually a weight loss number but a dress size as I remember when and what size I looked good in the past rather than if it was 125 or 115 or whatever.
  • bigbeardiver
    Options
    My goal isn't actually a weight loss number but a dress size as I remember when and what size I looked good in the past rather than if it was 125 or 115 or whatever.

I agree, well not on dress size but pants size. I squeezed myself into a pair of 36's last week, first time since .... yeah early HS. That is what counts. Well being able to bend over in the pants might help too but I got into them!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The site I started using tracked measurements along with everything else, so I kept them, too. I do have before pics and pics of what I weight now (263#). I just wish I had something other than my underwear and bra to wear. All my clothes are baggy and wouldn't show anything.
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I haven't lost tons but I have lost enough that I wish I would've measured! Especially for those weeks you feel like you haven't lost anything!
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Wish I did this when I started because I've lost 23 pounds all together and it's hard to see where all of it is coming off from. The only thing I know is my thighs because my jeans are so baggy now. O__o
  • scottbad
    scottbad Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a 36" Harley-Davidson Belt and a leather vest. Slowly I am inching closer to the first hole (3" more) and I can button the first snap on the vest. So I am measuring in a manner of speaking.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wish I would've too but I didn't until almost a year of working out everyday. :S
  • bigbeardiver
    Options
    I have a 36" Harley-Davidson Belt and a leather vest. Slowly I am inching closer to the first hole (3" more) and I can button the first snap on the vest. So I am measuring in a manner of speaking.

I love the internal feeling of having no holes left on my belt. I hate having to buy a new belt or punch more holes, it is too much work, but good work.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Great tip!! This is SO important, and so often overlooked by people new to weight loss. Thanks for sharing!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    TAKE YOU MEASUREMENTS !!!!!!!!!

I wish I would have and know a lot of others wish they would have also. I have been doing MFP for almost 7 weeks and lost almost 20 pounds. But I am not really sure where I lost those 20 pounds. If I would have taken my measurements when I started, I would know.

Anyway, just my tip of the day I guess. Good luck and stick with it, it works.

Thanks for the reminder...down 21 pounds and wish I would have done that when I started. Keep saying I am going to and then forget. Today!! :smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I totally agree with the measurements thing, but this, for sure. I think photos are so important because the mirror lies. You adjust to you new look because it happens gradually. And unfortunately when you have a lot to lose, you don't necessarily think you look better 20 pounds lighter unless you really compare yourself to the 20 pounds heavier pics. I definitely recommend photos at some regular interval.