what's everyone's acne story ?

Options
donyellemoniquex3
donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
I started puberty on my 10th birthday but started getting tiny pimples at about 9

I had mild - moderate acne and I tried literally EVERYTHING and nothing worked.

When I was a sophomore in HS I BEGGED AND BEGGED AND BEGGED for my mom to get me proactive and within 3 days of instructed use, my acne was gone... although it stopped working, I've moved on to clearicil stay clear face wash and clean and clear face wash.

Replies

• PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Never had acne (I'm 25), nor did my sister but my cousin got it bad.
  • MDfour
    MDfour Posts: 20
    Options
    This is gonna sound like I'm just praising this site or something, but I always had TERRIBLE acne, and NOTHING worked (and I mean nothing) until I started working out and eating clean.

Now? Skin's clear as bottled water.
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Never had an acne problem as a teenager, but recently since I've been TTC and went off birth control, my skin has a mind of its own. :ohwell: I figure it has to do with my hormones regulating.
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I never had really bad acne, but I had tiny break outs now and then. The only thing that works for me is the neutrogena face mask :)
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Really bad acne as a teen. Then I started on a course of Roaccutane. The side effects are pretty severe but the results after it are fantastic. Never had a reoccurance of acne again.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My acne didn't start until I was about 18 and now at 34 I still have issues. Keeping my face clean and drinking more water (NO SODA) and working out really do seem to help with it. I guess I will always the 1 or 2 pimples a month....but I can live with that. I also rarely wear makeup. But that's partly due to laziness ;)
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    never had an acne issue. the only thing i put on my skin is water and sometimes a moisturizer. i also don't wear makeup.

sometimes my daughter's skin begins to get a bit bumpy. i explain to her the importance of eating better and drinking water. she is just beginning puberty. i would like to see how her diet affects her skin before we head to a dr.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's and will still get acne on occassion (due to oily skin), but I do agree that eating healthy has made an improvement. My acne shows up just before TOM.

When I tried ProActiv it worked for me but now eating healthy I find I don't need anything special to wash my face with.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I had it bad enough that a Dermatologist put me on a light medication.
    Unfortunately I passed that on down to my kids, it was bad enough that they had to put them on Accutane. Oldest was getting made fun of because of the acne.
    Cleared them both up and only one slight problem with it coming back, an acti-bacterial cleared that right up.
    It wasn't a bad diet or poor eating, it was hyper active oil glands.
  • HikeRunLift
    Options
    I started getting bad acne around 15. Well, it was bad to me of course, but I think other people must have thought it too. Anyways, when I was 18 I got on Accutane. It cleared most of it up in a matter o f weeks. I'm 37 now. I still get pimples and black heads and I have tiny bumps on my forhead but honsestly, I dont even care now.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I had this humongous zit on my back the other day. Like size of a Volkswagen bug huge. At night, I swear it whispered to me. Told me things like, "Get out of bed and eat some cereal." Finally it reared it's ugly head. It made a fatal flaw in being within reach of my left hand.
    Summing up all the bravery I could muster, I took on this monster by the head. I squeezed and squeezed. Tears immediately sprang to my eyes. Oh this bad boy would not go quietly. I think I actually whimpered.
    Suddenly...release. Guts spewed forth like...well you know being a male, like something else spewing forth. It shot onto the mirror and when I turned around, it appeared to be all over my face, which made me extremely uncomfortable.
    It was a tough battle, but I claimed victory.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I had this humongous zit on my back the other day. Like size of a Volkswagen bug huge. At night, I swear it whispered to me. Told me things like, "Get out of bed and eat some cereal." Finally it reared it's ugly head. It made a fatal flaw in being within reach of my left hand.
    Summing up all the bravery I could muster, I took on this monster by the head. I squeezed and squeezed. Tears immediately sprang to my eyes. Oh this bad boy would not go quietly. I think I actually whimpered.
    Suddenly...release. Guts spewed forth like...well you know being a male, like something else spewing forth. It shot onto the mirror and when I turned around, it appeared to be all over my face, which made me extremely uncomfortable.
    It was a tough battle, but I claimed victory.

But did you post it to youtube?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When I drink plenty of water, my skin is clear. When I don't, I get pimples.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    When I drink plenty of water, my skin is clear. When I don't, I get pimples.

This, and then I usually have one or two small hormonal pimples along my jaw line once a month.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide (main ingredient in Proactiv and all the other acne creams that work) so I have had acne problems nonstop for the last ten years. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I always grew a huge red pimple on the very tip of my nose, and my friends called me rudolph. D:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I broke out like a normal teenager and Differin gel took good care of it...and still get the occasional pimple (usually coinciding with my period), but when I get regular facials, I don't usually have a problem.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound like I'm just praising this site or something, but I always had TERRIBLE acne, and NOTHING worked (and I mean nothing) until I started working out and eating clean.

Now? Skin's clear as bottled water.

Actually I have been noticing the same thing with me! I've had issues with acne since 6th grade and I tried everything, even proactive, which worked at first and then didn't. My sister used to lock me in the bathroom and pop them, which hurt like a mofo! (Now I realize she's crazy and that's why she did it lol) My bad breakout areas have changed as I've gotten older, but i was still getting breakouts (especially around when AF was coming to town). Within the 2 weeks I've been on MFP, I notice my skin it a lot more clear. I still have a lot of scars, but atleast my skin is semi-smooth now!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have the greatest acne solution ever.

The main thing is salicylic acid peels. I was having them done once a week by a derm. Then a friend told me to just order the peel solution from amazon.com. I totally thought she was kidding but they really do have it! The same stuff my doc uses. I started with 20% peel once a week. First time I left it on for 2 mins. Then worked my way up to 5 mins.
    Follow this up with aveeno moisturizer. Its the only one that has never broken me out or irritated my sensitive skin.
    Then for a cleanser I use the St Ives apricot scrub. This also has salicylic acid. I gently wash for a full 60 secs in the shower.
    Edit to add don't use the scrub on peel days. Use something like cetaphil to remove the peel solution. The scrub is for the other days as your daily cleanser.

My skin looks incredible. I just started this routine on my brother and his skin is looking amazing as well.
    I promise you it works.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had the WORST case of acne ever. And it started when I was in 6th grade and went through middle school. It was such an awful thing to go through- especially in that stage of my life. I was prescribed Accutane, which was the most powerful medicine they had at the time. I was on it for 6 months and luckily it cleared up and never came back in such a severe way. Lots of side effects came with taking Accutane :\ It was worth it though...