Does it count as exercise??

Options
Hi All,
Sometimes I struggle to workout but I do log up all the little trips I do around the office and when I run errands as I have a sit down job. I also log housework too, just wondering if anyone else does this, I sort of feel like I am cheating :blushing:

19892283.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're basing your caloric intake on BMR + activity - deficit then it makes sense to keep track of routine things, if you're basing your intake on TDEE then no, they're already accounted for.
  • Happyhealthybabe
    Options
    basing on my BMR yes, I get told by other people who are losing or trying to lose weight that it does not count........and yet I'm the one who can average a 1 to 1.5kg loss in a week.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I don't log that kind of thing because I would probably over estimate how many calories it burns. I have a mostly sedentary job, so during the day I walk to and from my car a few blocks and sometimes a few blocks for an errand or to class (I'm a graduate student). I also know that I don't get my heart rate up to anywhere near a calorie burning zone during these short trips. I don't want to trick myself into over eating. But if you are able to log the extra walking really accurately like with a pedometer or heart rate monitor then go for it.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I only log things out of my normal routine that get my heart rate up for at least 20+ minutes
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've always been told if it isn't at least 20 minutes of CONTINUOUS activity, it doesn't count (aka, if you get your heart rate high for 1 minutes and it goes back down, doesn't count). This is what I've always read and always lived by. Again, just my opinion so I know someone else may not agree.
  • tmorgan1312
    tmorgan1312 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and it tracks all of the little trips around the office, housework and any other activity that you do throughout the day. You don't have to be actively engaged in some kind of "excerise" to be burning calories - so I think it counts.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If it's working, why stop?
  • shantelleclarke
    Options
    I don't log them only because I consider them freebies... they also probably make up for the less than accurate food calories. I only log if I break a sweat (yardwork) or purposly excercised (treadmill).
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    basing on my BMR yes, I get told by other people who are losing or trying to lose weight that it does not count........and yet I'm the one who can average a 1 to 1.5kg loss in a week.

Why are you asking if you think you already know better?
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I only log real exercise. Not walks in the park. They have to get me breathing hard, get my heart pumping. A good rule of thumb is if you hold a conversation without running out of breath, than don't log it.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I usually only log actual exercise activities unless is it something really strenuous that I don't do on a regular basis. We are all different so figure out what works for you and just do it!!! Good luck
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and it tracks all of the little trips around the office, housework and any other activity that you do throughout the day. You don't have to be actively engaged in some kind of "excerise" to be burning calories - so I think it counts.
    Laying in bed all day will also burn calories. Would you count those? **shrug**
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    If it's working, why stop?

This... and this....

I don't log them only because I consider them freebies... they also probably make up for the less than accurate food calories. I only log if I break a sweat (yardwork) or purposly excercised (treadmill).

:)
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to count it but it's easy to overestimate the calories burned doing little things like that. And if you're eating back your exercise calories it's probably a bad idea. I don't count any of those things because really, it's not exercise. Those are just the little things we need to do everyday. Unless I'm pushing myself and working out or moving much more than I usually do in a day, I don't count it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Sometimes I struggle to workout but I do log up all the little trips I do around the office and when I run errands as I have a sit down job. I also log housework too, just wondering if anyone else does this, I sort of feel like I am cheating :blushing:

19892283.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

It's activity, and is better than being completely sedentary, but I wouldn't call it exercise. Exercise is vigorous, uninterrupted activity for an extended period of time -- at least 20 minutes -- that elevates your heart rate.
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I only log real exercise. Not walks in the park. They have to get me breathing hard, get my heart pumping. A good rule of thumb is if you hold a conversation without running out of breath, than don't log it.

I wouldn't really agree with that. I went on a two hour walk with a friend wearing my HRM and burned over 800 calories, but I was holding a conversation almost the entire time and kept my heart rate in the target zone.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Even low intensity exercise burns calories, not as quickly as the higher intensity stuff, but it still works. I would hate for someone to read this and assume if they're not pushing themselves hard (some people with medical conditions cannot), then they aren't doing anything.

If only logging heavy exercise works for you, go for it. (I don't log any of my exercise, since I eat at my TDEE). But every person is different.
  • TracyRFogleson
    Options
    i log any activity that I can, as I am a student i even make a point of adding my stair walking. But do you know doing dishe, laundry all help burn calories? I add all that in for every little bit helps burn the calories but it isn't enough I do not believe personally. Yes at first I thought it was cheap and cheesy to add that in but when I was looking at what the number of calories it burns to just stand and do 5min worth of moderate house work ofcourse I am giong to look at that as a plus, besides it helps with the mental side of the exercise mindset,(for me anyway)
  • rebekkamarie
    Options
    I do what I can when I can. If that means counting my trek to the 3rd floor library of the school, then so be it!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Isn't there a rule that says if you can't talk while exercising, then you are pushing yourself too hard?

I count anything that is above and beyond my usual. If I walk to the park, I definitely count that. I walked around the zoo for over two hours this weekend, and I counted that, too.