Quinoa... omg!

Options

Replies

• adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Do any of you lovely people use Quinoa and if so, what are some of your favorite recipes?

My meat and potatoes husband is a FULL-ON quinoa convert :)

I use it as a rice substitute, and for salads too. This is one of my fave ways to make it:

(2 cups) water
    (1 cup) quinoa, rinsed, drained
    Olive oil spray
    2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 1" lengths
    1 large red bell pepper, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped
    (1/2 cup) crumbled reduced-fat feta
    2 tsp honey
    2 tsp olive oil

Combine water and quinoa in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool. (i often season during the cooking process, you can use whatever you like, but one of my favorites is Moroccan seasoning)

Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus and red pepper for 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp. Add to the quinoa.

Whisk the lemon juice, honey, and oil in a small bowl until well combined. Add the dressing to the quinoa mixture. Season with pepper and toss to combine.

This salad is great warm, but even better cold. Enjoy!
  • megsybk
    megsybk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks!!
  • Bpowell76
    Bpowell76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will definitely add to shopping list. Great food ideas. Thanks
  • donnao1117
    Options
    i have become addicted! great with roasted vegetables i.e. asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts....sprinkle on some olive oil, crazy salt...mix up well, and put in oven on 400 for about 18 minutes...mix the quinoa in with it on your plate...also, fabulous in salads...
  • pattyhild
    pattyhild Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yum!! I am definitely trying the banana, blueberry, and walnut recipe!

I just had quinoa for din din: with sauteed veggies (in grape seed oil): green peppers, onions, carrots, celery, garlic; and shrimp (with red pepper flakes). Super delish and healthy.
  • Miosottys23
    Options
    I love Quinoa! and with all this recipes you guys posted I will definitely have some for tomorrow :O)
  • mich1760
    mich1760 Posts: 34
    Options
    Want to try it. Thanks for the tips everyone
  • Amberdew1
    Amberdew1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This Looks really good! We haven't tried it yet but definitely will be soon!!

Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes, and Spinach

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
    Recipe from Cookin Light
    Nutritional Information

Amount per serving Calories: 130
    Fat: 5g
    Saturated fat: 0.7g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
    Protein: 4.1g
    Carbohydrate: 16.6g
    Fiber: 1.8g
    Cholesterol: 1mg
    Iron: 1.7mg
    Sodium: 305mg
    Calcium: 49mg

Ingredients

1 whole garlic head
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
    1 tablespoon dry white wine
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
    1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 small)
    1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. Remove papery skin from garlic head. Cut garlic head in half crosswise, breaking apart to separate whole cloves. Wrap half of head in foil; reserve remaining garlic for another use. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
    3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and red pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Add quinoa to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in garlic pulp, spinach, tomato, cheese, and salt. Serve immediately
  • cookiezncream
    Options
    I use it all the time instead of rice, my other half didn't like it at first, but i alway sautee mushrooms or peppers in the pan before i cook the quinoa so it absorbs the favour and now he loves it.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I thought the stuff was awful and nearly gagged trying to get it down. I tried it different ways, but it just isn't for me. I wish it was because of the high protein content.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's very nutritious but also a bit high calorie, like most seeds. I eat it often, though. Mostly in salad. I've had a quinoa breakfast pudding that's pretty good.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa! I make a yummy pineapple quinoa stir-fry.

Basically I saute some onion, a bit of garlic and mushrooms. Add in the cooked quinoa and stir it up good. Add bite sized pieces of kale. Cover and let kale cook 3-4 min. Add pineapple chunks and fresh mint. Serve.

I've seen "mac&cheese" recipes but I am skeptical. I also have a recipe for a quinoa patty that I am going to try this week. I also like it cold.

I would say as well as a nutty flavor, I find it slightly crunchy. To boost flavor you can cook it in broth. I have never added butter to the broth while cooking it but I bet you could do that to.

6973542137_56ec22d278.jpg

That looks so delish!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Yup. Check www.allrecipes.com for lots and lots. I enjoyed "Tropical Quinoa".
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas for quinoa here. I just started using it myself. I have only these two recipes:

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/quinoa-stuffed-peppers.aspx?cm_mmc=Recipe-of-the-Day-_-949474-_-06192012-_-Quinoa-Stuffed-Peppers-Get-Todays-Recipe

Colorful Quinoa Salad (with black beans, chick peas, spinach)

http://www.saveonfoods.com/sites/default/files/Recipes/wk23_recipe.pdf
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    costco has a Quinoa salad; very delish. It has cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump!
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I heard of but been to afraid to try. What is the texture like? Is it like rice? I have been trying to open my mind to new things, so willing to give it a try.

It's somewhere in between cous cous and rice. It's really easy and quick to make and goes with almost everything.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Just started eating quinoa
    I have tried the cold salad with veggies and plain with chicken broth. I really like it.
    I am soo saving this thread I need more recipe ideas.
    Mmmm