Runners-- I Need Advice!!

Options
Hi!

I have always wanted to get into running, or at least get better at it. I was always that kid in gym class who got a free pass to stop running the mile run because everyone else in class had finished while I was still on lap 3. Not because I was overweight, but because of my health issues. Which brings me to question number 1:

1) Asthma-- I'm sure there are runners out there who have Asthma. Do you carry your inhalers with you, or take them before a run?

2) Knees-- I have really bad knees for 23 years of age. Part of that has to do with the physical condition of my feet. My left knee tends to twist out of alignment a lot, even when I'm not running. and it can get sore after I work out. My right knee is usually ok. Any advice on knee braces?? I know there are a bunch out there, but I have no idea what to get.

and Finally,

3) Cramps--- HOW the heck do I get rid of them??? Every time I run or jog for more than 5 minutes I get one and have to stop from the pain.

Thanks Much!!!!

Sara

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Have you tried couch to 5 k? It is a program that eases you into running slowly. I have asthma and i've had problems with my feet/knees (flat footed) and I also have a heart murmur and i've had success with c25k so far. I'm scheduled to do week 5 day 2 tomorrow. I try to hit my inhaler before my run (I forget a lot though!), but you really should take it with you on your run as well, in case of emergency. You can totally do this! You're welcome to add me as a friend if you'd like! :flowerforyou:
  • saucyitalian19
    saucyitalian19 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just discovered couch to 5K!! The last three times I have gone out for a run/walk I have tried to stick to the intervals the recommend, but damn its hard! I am only on week 1 so maybe that is why, I might have to continue on week one until I feel I can move up. I always forget to take my inhalers, but alas I will try to remember to take them more often!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    drinking lots of water and taking a multivitamin helped me with muscle cramps, my husband cycles and eats a couple of tums before a ride, says it helps him...
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Repeat weeks as needed, but don't be afraid to push yourself a bit, too. Also, jog as slowly as you can at first. My first few tries with c25k I was trying to really run the intervals all out and then burning myself out and I would quit after a week or so and my knees were killing me. All of the advanced runners i've seen post emphasize that there will be time for speedwork later, when we first start we are just trying to build our endurance, learn how to breathe properly, and set a pace we can maintain. It really isn't as hard as it seems, once it clicks! After that it's SO fun!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I know about knee problems! I'm knock-kneed if I let it happen. And my knees have never been good. I was advised to get a knee brace that also stabilizes the knee cap. It has made a huge difference. (I can walk up stairs even when hurting if I use it, otherwise, butt slide it is! And embarrassing at work!)

You should look at Chi Running. It has a lot of great tips on form, and with it, I can run. Well, trudge with effort towards running, but I'm doing it! I'm now on week 6 of the couch 2 5k program. Which is totally awesome.

As for being out of breath, slow down. If you can run/jog any slower, you're going to fast.

As for the cramps, it could be 2 things. Dehydration or low potassium levels. My bet is you need more water. Either carry some with you or drink a bunch before you go and more after. Again, slowing down will help here too.

So 2 things for you to look at. Couch 2 5k, google it, there are bunches of free workouts out there. Chi Running, by Danny Dreyer, great book and really helps with form so you don't hurt as much.
  • saucyitalian19
    saucyitalian19 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice guys!! I will definitely pace myself and try to drink more water!!! Googling Chi Running as we speak!
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    for knees....work your thigh/leg muscles. this helps stabalize the knee. one of the gentliest ways I increased my leg muscle was walking huge hills plus is added cardio!

good luck. I find I can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. that's such a bonus with running!
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    The most important thing is having the right shoes. The right shoes can make a HUGE difference with comfort and potential injury. Don't go to get a cheap pair or a convenient pair. Go to a RUNNING store that carries multiple brands and have them fit you. They will look at your foot, your footfall, your pronation/supination, your stride, etc. It is essential that you have the proper running gear. Go get fit for shoes!!
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that the muscle cramps are related to a lack of electrolytes so you might try gatorade or eating a banana before a run and see if that helps. Also, the surface you run on can make a difference. I get shin splints on concrete but not on asphalt or treadmills. Good luck!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Use your inhaler before the run. If you're having to use it more than a couple times a day, you should talk to your doctor. You may need more meds. As for cramps, I read somewhere that you should inhale on the right foot strike and exhale on the left foot strike. I focused on breathing in for 3 steps (right, left, right) and breathing out for 3 steps (left, right, left). This and slowing down will help. But still there will be days you just won't do as well as others. Keep on trying, take it sloooow! If I can do it, anyone can! :)
  • cjdstephenson
    cjdstephenson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am the poster child for a sedentary life style, never liked working out, never liked exercise, and why would anyone run for pleasure?! That has all changed and I too started with the couch to 5k simply because I wanted to step up my pace on the trails, not really because I EVER intended to run a 5K, Guess what? 2 weeks into it and even though it has challenged me, I am now looking forward to my first 5k run. I too have contemplated having to repeat some of the weeks as it gets tougher, but on the other hand, ready to push myself. Having said that, though, I don't have the additional challenges of asthma. Best of luck