Negative Calorie Foods?

Options
I've been doing some reading on the topic; and there seem to be differing opinions.

Just wondering what you all think?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I had to look this up. Basically, it's encouraging you to make your diet mostly fruits and vegetables. To me, it just sounds like they put a fancy name on it. I know for the past week, I have made fruits and vegetables about 80% of my diet (lots of fresh blueberries and cucumbers) and have found that my sugar cravings for processed foods have significantly decreased and my calorie intake has been lessened because but I'm eating a lot more. So I think there is a type of satisfaction to eating more fruits and vegetables. Just my 2 cents.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some reading on the topic; and there seem to be differing opinions.

What I thought you meant by negative calorie foods was that some members say that some vegetables, (like celery) take the body longer to digest and process, so you're burning calories to eat it, and that's why it's negative. I THINK that's the way I remember it anyway?! Can't remember any of the other foods they mentioned though! Maybe someone else will. :smile:
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

What I thought you meant by negative calorie foods was that some members say that some vegetables, (like celery) take the body longer to digest and process, so you're burning calories to eat it, and that's why it's negative. I THINK that's the way I remember it anyway?! Can't remember any of the other foods they mentioned though! Maybe someone else will. :smile:

This is what I thought too. We try to incorporate one negative calorie food in every meal. They are usually low calorie foods anyway.
  • hopingforhealthy
    Options
    That is what I mean. They say the calories are so complex that the body expels more energy to digest them than they contain.

There's an extensive list, like cranberries, spinach, carrots, even mango.

I guess I just am questioning the validity of it; I don't see how I can gorge on mango and maintain no caloric value.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's a myth. There are no foods burn more calories in consumption than you actually consume. There are some foods that have so few calories that counting them is negligible but that's all.