Easy veggie/ pescie low carb high protein meals?

Options
I started off great, eating loads of clean whole foods, fresh fruit and veg etc, but soon got so tired of all the faff and expense and everything going off all the time, plus i still wasn't getting enough protein and haven't lost any weight. So I think maybe the best way for me to do this is just to find a few simple meals that are low in carbs and high in protein, and stick to them. That way i just buy basically the same ingredients every week, can buy in bulk to freeze, and don't have too much thinking to do. So far my list consists of:

Meals:
Tofu or quorn stir fry with veg
Roasted red peppers with quinoa
Veggie Chilli
Stuffed Tortillas (chickpeas? avocado?)
Salmon (with?)

Snacks:
Peanut butter on celery
Cottage cheese
Cashew nuts
Walnuts

Breakfast:
Not sure?
Soy milk (with breakfast?)

Also i found this great tip on another forum - Take a large glass of milk and mix in a good few tablespoons of dried milk powder. I think its between 10-20g protein a pop. And cheaper than protein shakes too!

Does this sound reasonable?

Replies

• missfancy1980
    Options
    Bump please x
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!

The powdered milk in milk is an old bariatric surgery trick. Been around for a long time, and an easy way to bump protein.
  • tigmic
    tigmic Posts: 12
    Options
    I think I'm in the same boat. I'm struggling to find a low-carb diet. Here's what I've been doing for a while:

Meals:
    Salads with cottage cheese on the side (fork some cheese, then spear some salad, then eat that)
    Grilled tempeh as a main, then something else (salad, quinoa, etc.) as a side
    Boiled eggs (try not to eat too many)
    Split pea or lentil soup
    Vegetarian sausage (Yves is a good brand, if you can get it where you live), wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
    Quiche
    Thin-crusted pizza with low fat cheese and some other form of vegetarian protein--whether tofu or some imitation meat.

Snacks:
    Yogurt
    Almonds
    Cottage cheese
    Babybel light cheese (the mini wheels--50 cals per wheel, 6g of protein)

Breakfast:
    Other than eggs, eggs, and more eggs, breakfast is a hard one to get in protein.
    Some companies (Yves included, I think) make vegetarian "breakfast sausage".
    Oatmeal has a decent amount of protein and fibre, though it isn’t low carb
    Yogurt with fruit and maybe a bit of muesli (my favourite combo)
    I've seen recipes around the net for things like quinoa or amaranth porridge. Both grains have high levels of (complete?) protein.

As for your cheap protein "shake," I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense. I might give that a try. My only worry would be how it would taste.

I'm looking forward to what everyone else has to suggest.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Babybel, how clever!!! will def get some of those :love: And what is tempeh?
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    bump