Busy lifestyle

Options
Hi all, my name is Marjorie and I just wanted to say hi to everyone! I was hoping to find support and just find out how everyone balances their busy lifestyle with the dedication needed to commit yourself to any diet/exercise program.

An example of my day:

Wake up at 6:40 am (hit snooze a few times!) and actually wake up around 7:00 am.
Get ready for work and go in at 8:30 am
Leave around 5:45 and head over to my second job with my family
Finish second job around 8:00 pm
Eat dinner that my in-laws already had prepared
Finish dinner around 9 pm.

The only time I actually have time to prepare my own meals is on the weekend and all I want to do then is just relax.
I'm sure there's tons of you out there in a similar situation. Please let me know how you're doing it, or how you plan on taking off the weight. Also, good luck everyone!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I walk on my lunch break so I can get something in or while dinner is in the oven I do a 20 min video. You have kids? Have them do some exercises with you...play ball, basket ball, jump rope...
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello Marjorie,

Welcome to MFP. Your day starts out much like mine and while I don't have a second job, I do have kids that keep me running. Sounds like you could really use the support of your family. You said your second job is working with family, any chance you could talk to them and plan some workouts before you go to your second job? Otherwise, there is the option of getting up before work and doing a workout. I understand that stinks, not a morning person myself, but you have to work things in where you can. I also find I always bring my own food so I don't have to rely on others or get caught eating what is around me. You could also take the stairs, park further away, take walks on breaks or lunch. There are always ways to work things in, just have to motivate yourself. You will thank yourself when you see results. Good luck to you.....
  • Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    Hi there!

Well, me I'm a court reporter and I work at least 60 hours a week so I make appointments with myself and I keep them. I go and work out 5:00 a.m. every morning, Monday through Friday, before the kids need me, hubby needs me, job, needs me....it's easier this way for me because it takes the "I'm too tired to workout" away or any other excuses. When I first started working out I would park as far away from my job as possible and walk in, as far away as I could from any destination, take the stairs, walk faster, instead of talking on the phone sitting down stand up.....I would walk my breaks. I think it's important to establish a routine and commit to it....the shorter the time span, say 15 minutes of exercise every day, rain, snow, sleek or hail, no excuses and every week build on to that time. It helps of you can make yourself do it the same time every day. If you do it as soon as you wake up that's one less thing to worry about all day.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I may not have two jobs, but I am usually very busy, even as a stay at home mom. For example today I had to get me daughter to 1st grade by 8a, drop my second child (still a baby, and as much as I love her, babies are very time consuming). Get to class by 9a, get out after scheduled at 2:45, get my daughter from daycare, pick up older child by 3:15p, Come home get her ready for gymnsatics, get home between 5:30pm cook supper. My busiest day this week is thursday, which will be the same as today, except, I have a second class that starts at 6p. Yep...I won't be eating healthy. Maybe my days, aren't always busy, but they are busy just the same. Oh I said I was a stay at home mom...my husband is deployed, and I have no nearby family. (PS for all those single moms who do this year round, Kudos!!)

Some things that have worked for me (but it takes money): I have a wii, I use fitbit ($100, checkout fitbit.com), and I use myfitnesspal (mfp) (Free).

Here is what I do: I use my wii fit plus and make sure I get 10-15 min in the am; I have workout game disks that I prefer over the fit plus, but those take time I don't have.

Now the cool thing about the fitbit is it is a pedometer on steroids (check out the site for all the functions) that automatically updates my stats to the website everytime I am near the base...Fitbit and mfp sync together, so I can keep track of the calories I earn in a day (bc it also includes BMR) bc the stats are sent to mfp. Mfp has a phone app that lets me barcode search the food I eat. If I had to manually search I would have given up, bc that is time I don't have!

Now how the sites work together in my favor: By using mfp it will look at the calories I earned during the day and my weight loss goals and will tell my what my goal calorie count is. Now let's say it is not a class day, but an insane errand day thereby earning more burn calories. Mfp will take those into acount and allow me more food to eat based on the extra "exercise".

If I fall short/eat over my alloted calories, I finish the night with the wii fit plus so I come out under the calories alloted (remember you "earn food" for working out). Usually this only comes out to another 10-20 min on the wii.

So in a nutshell, that is how I do it...I wish I could say I take the time to fit in a workout session (sometimes I do, but not on a regular consistent basis).

Fell free to message me if you have any other questions. :smile:
  • margie1016
    margie1016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone, it really does mean a lot. You're already giving me some great ideas. I used to go to the gym in the morning before work, but I gave it up because of the inconvenience of packing up my gym bag after getting home so tired. I think I may give that another try. It's not too convenient to go for a walk during my break thanks to the Miami heat/humidity (I would end up looking like I just came from the gym) but I think if I get myself a few more gym outfits, it'll save me the trouble of hanging out the other one to dry and having to rush getting it all ready in the morning. I think as far as the family support, they do want to help, but I don't want to make them work harder by getting together 2 separate meals and I know they won't eat the whole grains and all that with me. I think what I'm gong to do is cook a whole pot of whole grain pasta over the weekend, and whole grain rice and just have it precooked so that throughout the week, it'll be on hand for lunches and dinners.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone, it really does mean a lot. You're already giving me some great ideas. I used to go to the gym in the morning before work, but I gave it up because of the inconvenience of packing up my gym bag after getting home so tired. I think I may give that another try. It's not too convenient to go for a walk during my break thanks to the Miami heat/humidity (I would end up looking like I just came from the gym) but I think if I get myself a few more gym outfits, it'll save me the trouble of hanging out the other one to dry and having to rush getting it all ready in the morning. I think as far as the family support, they do want to help, but I don't want to make them work harder by getting together 2 separate meals and I know they won't eat the whole grains and all that with me. I think what I'm gong to do is cook a whole pot of whole grain pasta over the weekend, and whole grain rice and just have it precooked so that throughout the week, it'll be on hand for lunches and dinners.

Awesome idea on precooking. I was not suggesting your family cook two meals. :) I was actually suggesting just what you are proposing, cook some stuff up yourself so you are never caught having to eat only what is available. You have no idea how often people order pizza at lunch and that is by greatest downfall, but I have managed to just ignore and eat what I bring. Again, good luck to you. Keep positive and in no time it will almost become an obsession. :) At least it has for me.
  • Deltafliers
    Options
    I think what I'm gong to do is cook a whole pot of whole grain pasta over the weekend, and whole grain rice and just have it precooked so that throughout the week, it'll be on hand for lunches and dinners.
    Be careful not to eat so much of the same thing that you get bored...

I almost forgot a couple of other life style changes I have to offer:

*If I have fruit that it starting to over-ripen I throw it into a blender with a little milk (I bet vanilla soy milk would be yummy too); I don't worry about thickeners and that makes it easier to drink on my way to where ever.

*When I buy protien/meat I look for the leanest cuts available if finances allow it, and then When I get home I use my super-duper cheap food scale (close enough is good for me) to measure serving sizes. To be more exact, currently with my children, I measure 3 servings and place them into a sandwich bag and label each bag with # of servings; I don't cut anything unless I need to down size the meat to get to the proper amount. To keep clutter free from my freezer, I then put all the little bags into a gallon freezer bag. Any excess meat (the trimming from getting meat to proper size), gets saved for a stirfry (just add some sort of seasoned asian medely bag of vegetables, or if it is chicken cooked for salads.-->This method has saved me time each night, if I have compamny I ignore the labeled servings and take out what I need, and when the meat for the night is gone I look for healthier options such as fruits or veggies and load up on those during a meal.

* Also use the food trackers to track essential nutrients. Eating a certain food just because it sounds healthy does not necisarilly mean your body is getting what it needs! ALSO, season, season, season (not fry butter or oil)...When food it seaoned, it tastes yummier, thereby, informing more quickly the receptors in your brain that you atre happy, where then your brain says you are full in a shorter amount of time.

Again, I hope this helps.
  • margie1016
    margie1016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

*When I buy protien/meat I look for the leanest cuts available if finances allow it, and then When I get home I use my super-duper cheap food scale (close enough is good for me) to measure serving sizes. To be more exact, currently with my children, I measure 3 servings and place them into a sandwich bag and label each bag with # of servings; I don't cut anything unless I need to down size the meat to get to the proper amount. To keep clutter free from my freezer, I then put all the little bags into a gallon freezer

We actually currently do this because we buy our meat from a meat distributor so we have to cut it down ourselves. I think the probably is we've been cutting the portions too big! We're going meat shopping this weekend so I'll have to keep this in mind. I think I may also get one of those food scales to help get used to the correct portions. Thanks for the tips! By the way, I've found it a bit difficult to put down exactly the ingredients you used in the food tracker. Have you come across this problem with the foods you make at home?
  • Deltafliers
    Options
    OK, so for the first time I tried the recipe section, because I did made alfredo sauce from scratch (magic bullet recipe, so I didn't spend hours slaving). Since it was yummy enough to make again I added it to the recipe tab for quicker find next time; the phone app is easier because of the barcode scanner, but this translate to the website too, just more searching.
    :
    On the phone:
    1. Add to diary
    2. Pick meal to correspond with (breakfast dinner etc)
    3. Click recipes
    4. Create a new recipe. It will ask recipe name and how many it serves.
    5. Click add ingredients -->again barcode scanner is faster because it zones in on item and doesn't give you a gizzilion choices. Plus, the servings seem to make more sense. Also, write this down and put it on the fridge: 1oz=29g ==> 6oz=174g
    6. When added ingredients completed, save the recipe*. The program will automatically enter nutrients and calories from the ingredients, and adjust to the data for single serving!
    7. Next time you eat the meal, click add to diary, meal type, recipe, and then click on the name of the recipe you entered. :o)

*Since everyone has different brand names in there region, I save it only to my recipes, I don't share with the database.

NOW, somethings like meat don't work out as easy. Remeber the conversions I gave you above? You'll want those. The best way, I have found, to search for protien is to enter the name of the protien, and the cut, and whether it is cooked or raw. Then look for the generic listing no brand name.