Way to much sodium.

Options
So after today im about 1110 mgs over my daily sodium value which seems to be way to much. i know that canned soup is a big problem. any other ideas to get this down?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    stay away from processed foods. they'll get you every time.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have same problem i was told to eat more fruits and veggies
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you are hypertensive, especially if you workout. You need a lot of salt if you sweat a lot.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Make your own soup! The intarwebz are full of good, hearty soup recipes, just go on a search. Personally, I've done a crock pot full of soup on Sunday and it lasts all week. If you're going to make your own, Kitchen Basics makes a whole line of unsalted broth and stock you can use. I know that Swanson's and Progresso both make reduced sodium stock, not sure if they have unsalted (I like the Kitchen Basics stuff, so I stick with what I like).

Just be sure to drink lots of water today. It will help flush the sodium, but it may be a couple days before the total overage is out of your system.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You could always replace half the broth from your soup with water.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    All processed foods have too much salt. I was way over last night because I had some deli sliced turkey, which was way too high. I'm trying to at least drink a lot of water if I have to much sodium in a day.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    NO you do not need a lot of sodium if you work out. That is not true and stop telling people that. You could cause someone to have health issues.

Read the link below. A human only needs 180 mg of sodium per day plus whatever is lost in sweat. I seriously doubt too many are on this site for working out so much they need greater than the recommended 2300 mg.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines/2010/meeting2/commentattachments/aha-220e.pdf
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    stay away from processed foods. they'll get you every time.
    This.
    Almost all processed food have way to much sodium. The reason is because salt makes almost everything taste better. Also, salt costs less than most of the other ingredients so manufacurers put as much as possible into processed and fast foods to maximize their profits.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    -Learn how to prepare your own food.

- Make your own soups from stocks you made yourself.

- Start switching your diet to clean foods.

- More vegetables and fruits.

- Drop fast food places like the plague.

Big lifestyle change but it's worth it in the long run. :smile:
  • scottieboy561
    Options
    Thanks everyone gonna try a crock pot soup this week.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    NO you do not need a lot of sodium if you work out. That is not true and stop telling people that. You could cause someone to have health issues.

Read the link below. A human only needs 180 mg of sodium per day plus whatever is lost in sweat. I seriously doubt too many are on this site for working out so much they need greater than the recommended 2300 mg.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines/2010/meeting2/commentattachments/aha-220e.pdf
    I didn't say you need more than the recommended 2300 mg. I said that if you sweat a lot, you don't need to worry as much.

The perils of sodium are also overstated. It's good to watch your intake, but you could have more health problems caused by the anxiety of worrying about it if you're not hypertensive, then the supposed effects of the sodium itself.
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    That's still assuming that 2300mg is a safe level. That number is in dispute. Some research suggests 500mg is a more realistic safe level. I'd look at 2300mg as a maximum limit, as opposed to a "reccomended intake"