I just don't understand.... It's haunting me!

Options
So I went to the doctors today. On my way to the doctors I was driving behind a car and all of sudden the car slammed on it's breaks and then BOOM! Horrible accident. I pull over my car and run out to help. The lady that slammed on her breaks was my age (20 something). Her whole windshield is smashed in, smoke everywhere, and blood everywhere. I run over to her car and open her door. Mind you this is a North Carolina Interstate and there is super heavy traffic. I tell her to get out of her car because 3 cars have almost slammed into her at this point. Despite always being told to never move a patient I get her out and get her away from the oncoming traffic danger. I grab a blanket out of my car and lay her down. The blood is pouring out of her nose and mouth because her airbag failed and she slammed her head into the windshield, breaking it, and 65 miles per hour. While on the phone with 911 a Crazy Acting Man comes up to her and starts screaming "You ^#@^ing b^#@tch you better have insurance, you f$@king ruined my car". I'm in astonishment pretty much telling this man to shut the hell up! She is seriously hurt! Anyways, he wouldn't stop. The ambulance comes and gets her loaded and takes her to the hospital. I get in my car and leave.... I'm praying the whole way to my doctors appointment. My hands are covered in Iodine because the EMT put it all over me from the blood. I praying and think WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT MAN! Now mind you, I was behind and saw the whole thing. He straight up slammed on his breaks ON THE INTERSTATE when everyone is going 70 miles per hour! I can'y help but wonder how he can even bring himself to say these things while starring at a woman... in her 20's, covered and blood and crying in pain when HE CAUSED IT! I'm sorry for venting but 5 hours later and its still haunting me. I'm not only worried about how this woman is doing but I can't get over the horrible things he said to her... while in that state, nevermind caused by him. Ugh.... I will never understand some people. All I can do is pray... for her recovery and for him to hopefully have some insight on his actions and for God to forgive. Okay, I'm done...sorry, y'all.

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Probably trying to cause the accident on purpose just to get money from her insurance. People pull that kind of fraud all the time. At least you stopped and helped her, and witnessed the whole thing.

Not sure if he can collect since he braked hard on a highway. I hope he can't. I hate it when losers try to pull crap like that and get away with it.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an insurance scam...

Hope she's ok and you did a good thing. Never met you but I'm proud of you. Anger is ok in this situation.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    corporations are running the world :\
    everyone will be a corporate robot soon
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Probably trying to cause the accident on purpose just to get money from her insurance. People pull that kind of fraud all the time. At least you stopped and helped her, and witnessed the whole thing.

Not sure if he can collect since he braked hard on a highway. I hope he can't. I hate it when losers try to pull crap like that and get away with it.

I agree. Your statement as a witness he suddenly slammed on his brakes for no reason may make him liable. Please contact the investigating agency and give them your witness account.

JM
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I hope that you were able to give your information to the police so they can put in the report that he slammed on his brakes out of the blue. Bless you for stopping and caring for this woman. She was lucky you were there! You were her angel today, for sure. I am in NC, too. What general area did this accident take place?
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Like others comments, particularly reaching out to the authorities... But I am true believer in Karma. What goes around comes around, which means you earned good karma today and he earned bad karma today.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed that you cared enough to stop and help. Definitely make sure the police and the victim's insurance company get your statement because it does sound like a scam. Be blessed.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good job for helping-- it is so rare for people to get involved to help a stranger. People don't want to be one of those good samaritans who get sued. If I was that girl, I would thank you from the bottom of my heart--- you truly stepped up and did something that most WON'T.

That aside, shame on that man. Totally different end of the spectrum from you!
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    You did a great job of helping this woman. Hopefully she will remember your kindness and it will help her to get over the ignorance of the man.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have no clue the circumstances so am just saying this as a matter of fact.
    In NY at least the person who strikes a vehicle from behind is considered at fault for following too closely.

I know you are upset and he was being an *kitten* but the truth is probably you don`t know for certain he slammed on his brakes for no reason,there could have been something you did not see and the reason the presumption of avoidance falls on the vehicle to the rear.
    It no doubt sucks at times and is not always fair,hope she recovers and you should be proud for taking action.

Just understand the way the law may work and why.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it matters if he slammed on his brakes for no reason. It's my understanding, at least in my state (Washington), that if someone rear-ends another car it's always their fault for following too close. That said, the guy's a jerk and will not win any sensitivity awards for sure.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I hope that you were able to give your information to the police so they can put in the report that he slammed on his brakes out of the blue. Bless you for stopping and caring for this woman. She was lucky you were there! You were her angel today, for sure. I am in NC, too. What general area did this accident take place?

I-77 South- Charlotte
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Bless you for helping that poor woman. It would be haunting me, too!
    People generally act pretty irrational when they've been in a car accident. I can't imagine someone acting that way, but you never know what's going on in their little world. :(
  • Carl01
    Options
    Bless you for helping that poor woman. It would be haunting me, too!
    People generally act pretty irrational when they've been in a car accident. I can't imagine someone acting that way, but you never know what's going on in their little world. :(

Just to throw it out there as a possibility and the OP may be able to add insight but right now there is no way to know if he was almost cut off by another driver (it was stated it was heavy traffic).
    Was he alone in his vehicle or did he have family with him that also were just involved in an accident and could have been hurt/killed

Maybe he is just a complete idiot and jerk but there may very well be another part to the situation that is just not known at this point and it is a situation where everyone involved is under stress and an adrenaline rush.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I-77 South- Charlotte

Definitely a bad traffic area and probably a scam.

Carl, in NC, just because someone is rear ended doesn't mean they aren't at fault. It used to be that way many years ago, but not any longer.
  • flbutler
    flbutler Posts: 26
    Options
    i read your other post and have a suggestion.....Go to CMPD's website and see if they have an accident report section. I know Concord does. You may be able to get her information that way.
  • Dixietrink82
    Dixietrink82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself for helping this woman. The greatest hero's are people who go beyond the ordinary without being asked and do extraordinary things. You are a hero.
  • Carl01
    Options

I-77 South- Charlotte

Definitely a bad traffic area and probably a scam.

Carl, in NC, just because someone is rear ended doesn't mean they aren't at fault. It used to be that way many years ago, but not any longer.

That may be the case,all I am suggesting to the OP as far as sorting it out is that there is a very limited amount of known facts here and emotions (from other posters too) are drawing conclusions.

That is why there are investigations so that all facts and details can be determined as to what happened and yes at times that is a matter of taking someone at their word.
    The alternative is no fault insurance and that is far from a desirable thing either as an innocent party can get royally screwed.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    make sure you contact the police if you haven't already and explain what you saw. dont let this guy get away with an insurance scam
  • csw92
    csw92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First kudos on stopping, I'm an EMT and there is a lot of people who'll speed by us or try to get in front of us while we're trying to get back on the roadway. There are days I leave work thinking that the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

There are several people who are just complete *kitten* who only care about themselves, along with the people who seem to trip heck out when something happens and of course there people who are trying to pull a scam with no regard on what might happen to the innocent person involved.

My question is did you talk to the polce when they arrived? Or did you have to leave before they showed up?