Question on 1200 Calorie Intake

Options
I'm wondering if someone knows the answer to this question I have....

Everything I've read stresses that when reducing your calorie intake, to not go below 1200 calories a day because it puts your body into starvation mode and deters your weight loss. So what I'm wondering is this: if I consume 1200 calories and then do a 30-minute workout that burns off 200 calories and then call it a day, is this going to put my body into starvation mode?

It's confusing to me, because I've taken in 1200 calories, so that should be enough (technically) but because of the additional exercise my body might feel like it's not getting enough calories. If I'm not hungry and want to have the deficit, I feel like I'm better off not forcing additional calories into my body, especially if they're unneeded. Does anyone know how this works?

Replies

• reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My calories were set at 1,200 also, but when I exercised I always took in more calories. My
    trainer told me my calories were too low and I needed to increase. So I set my calorie goal
    at 1,400. I have lost just as much weight each week eating more calories. How my trainer
    explained it is that when your calories are too low and you hit a plateau what are you going to
    do-go down under 1,200.00. If I were you I would add more calories espcially on your workout
    days. Good LucK with your weigh loss.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First off, "starvation mode" is a myth. It simply does not happen. Your body will process and digest things in a normal fashion, no matter how many calories you do or don't eat.
    That being said, Find your daily caloric goal (after factoring in exercise), then eat 500 calories less than that, while still maintaining a balanced diet. This will maintain a steady 5-10 lbs per month loss.
    In addition, the extra calories will, at times, aid in your metabolism. So as long as you maintain a good fitness regimen, they will assist in you losing weight.
    Good luck!! :D
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    1200 is a guideline, not a magic number. It might not be the same for everyone. However, at such a low calorie intake, you should try to eat back what you exercise.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode thing is so so so blown out of proportion. Don't believe the hype about it. MFP just has the 1200 as a guideline...if you feel you need more calories you can change your settings & whatnot. I found that I lost more weight when I upped my caloric intake.
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't see 1200 as low... in fact, when I stuck to it and did minimal exercise i lost a stone easily! HOWEVER I did stick at a weight for 4/5weeks and when i ate 200 more kcals a day, i lost weight again...

I believe in YO YOing.... One day have less... the next eat more... try to have more 1300 days than 1100 days & you'll be fine! Maybe some days chuck in a 1500 kcal!

No one can tell you what your body will do... I lost 2stone once by only eating 1/2 jacket potato a day with tuna - no where near the 1200!

Experiment and see! (give yourself 2 weeks on each thing)

Good Luck :)
  • SanMcK70
    SanMcK70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is good information! It looks like the answer to my question, if I'm understanding most of these posts, is that you should take in the calories that you burn (eating more on the exercise days) in order to figure the 1200 (or so) daily caloric goal, right? So if I decide to fluctuate and do 1200 one day and 1400 the next, but I exercise and burn 200 calories on the day I want to be at 1400, then I have to actually consume 1600 calories that day to stay with my plan. If I'm wrong, someone please clarify.

Also, schlange11b, when you wrote "Find your daily caloric goal (after factoring in exercise), then eat 500 calories less than that" I wanted to know if you could suggest the best way to figure out what that goal should be?