Gymming 4 times a week - weight gain?

Options
Hey there all, :happy:

Excellent forum, love reading all your topics as I just joined!

I have a Q - I gym 4 times a week with a trainer - I leave there broken tired and take some why protein after. But I weigh myself and my weight has gone up by 2kg in a month. I dont understand this - I changed all my eating habits too and never gymmed before this month ever, so dont know if its a body shock?

Have tested thyroid etc and all is good. Please help guys, ready to give up..:sad:

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    you're likely building muscle mass, so maybe you can measure your body to see if you are losing inches. I once dieted for a month without any weight change at all until the 5th week and i dropped 6lbs all of a sudden!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hey there all,

Excellent forum, love reading all your topics as I just joined!

I have a Q - I gym 4 times a week with a trainer - I leave there broken tired and take some why protein after. But I weigh myself and my weight has gone up by 2kg in a month. I dont understand this - I changed all my eating habits too and never gymmed before this month ever, so dont know if its a body shock?

Have tested thyroid etc and all is good. Please help guys, ready to give up..

Without having any information your questions is really hard to answer. What is your weight/height/calorie level/exercises? If you open your diary you'll get better advice.

You might have some muscle gain (newbie gains) but the chances of you building 2kg of muscle in a month (and I doubt you're eating at a deficit) is slim to none. But measurements and photos are a good idea!
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    It all depends on what the actual workout consist of. If you are overkilling the cardio your body may hold on to the weight because you may be overtraining yourself. The best solution is a good balance of strength training and cardio.

Also, make sure you weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything. If you weight yourself at different times throughout the day it can constantly be different depending on how much you ate that day. Try to weight yourself first thing in the morning every time so you will be at your most fasted state/most accurate weight without mistaking fat for the food in your stomach! :)
  • missmixy007
    Options
    Lozze -

Thanks for the response. Weight - 78kg / Height: 163cm / Calorie Level: not sure. Excersises: Mostly toning with traininer and weights. I will add a photo. what do you think?

Caramammal - wow!!!! What was your reaction on 5th week?

Sunggllepuff - We not doing so much cardio, id say about 20 mins of the 60 min workout is cardio the rest is toning and strength training. I did weigh this morn and it has gone up :(
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Calories not sure? Then why are you frustrated that you are gaining weight? If you aren't keeping track then there's your answer. You need to be taking in less than what you're expending if you want to lose fat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure about your calories, that's an issue. It's pretty common, when people work out ONLY, for them to automatically increase their calories by as much or more than they burned.

Of course, the gym has other benefits as well, and you will be healthier than if you don't go, but you should monitor your intake if weight loss is your goal.