Yawning @ the gym

Options
Hi all!

I am stumped to know why I yawn when I am at the gym/do exercise.

I have lots of energy before I start exercising... and after exercising... but during it, im yawining hard out!

I usually drink a protein shake about 30 mins before I go to the gym.

Does anyone else have this little problem?? lol

Cheers all

Add me if you wish.

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    All.the.time.
    Im always Yawning my way through step class and a Pump class, no matter how awake I am...And I always hate it when i get "called out" on it by the instructor.. I work my *kitten* off and I am awake damnit! I cant control my yawns!!:)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I believe yawning is actually a sign that you're not getting enough oxygen at the time. I know I tend to yawn when I'm short of breath.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yawning gives your body more oxygen quickly. Did you ever watch Apolo Anton Ohno warm up for speed skating events at the Olympics. He would yawn several times while skating around the track. I saw an interview where they asked him about it and that was his reply.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    do you smoke? when i did i yawned all the time at the gym, once i quit i stopped yawning, i was told it was due to not enough oxygen

:)
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a protein shake about 30 mins before I go to the gym.

Have the shake after and see the difference.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Weird. I thought I was the weird one. I yawn when I'm in between sets of squats every time.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There are a few reasons that people yawn. I read a study a few years back that studied why people yawn at the gym and they found that it had to do with needing to lower the temperature in the brain! I suppose it's the same concept as getting oxygen to the brain as well.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? I sometimes yawn during aqua aerobics.. but only when I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted/needed the night before. I really seem to need 8 to 10 hours of sleep.. less than 6 hours a night and I'll definitely yawn the next day. 4 hours I can suffer through the next day okay with lots of yawns.. but not with less than 4 hours sleep-that's when I'm really miserable.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    gyms can be stuffy. i yawn at the gym usually when it's time for them to turn on a fan on circulate the air.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    yes because you are low on carbs ..
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    have a piece of fruit before u life and u will be fine.. no more :0
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Breath ... In through the nose ... out through the mouth ..
    IIInnnn...... OUuuutttt
    iiiiIINNNN... OOOUUuutttt
    Wax On .... Wax Off...
    Wax On ..... Wax Offf....
  • b3llzy
    b3llzy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't yawn at the gym but all of this talk about yawning literally made me yawn...stop that!
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    I agree with those who said it was a matter of getting more Oxygen. I read something (years ago) about yawning being a way to get more oxygen quickly so that seems to make sense in your situation.
  • StephinWA
    StephinWA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I do yoga. I'm in class, the teacher is asking us to slow down our breathing and breathe purposefully and evenly, in and out through the nose, and I have this urge to yawn every other breath. I meant to look into that...thanks for reminding me.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hows your breathing? Are you breathing normally? Also, do you smoke? When I was a smoker I used ot yawn all the time. And breathing normally when working out helps me alot now
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    do you smoke? when i did i yawned all the time at the gym, once i quit i stopped yawning, i was told it was due to not enough oxygen

:)

Nope, definitely dont smoke! and yes, breathe normally! lol

I kind of knew it was all to do with oxygen..... I wonder why I need more oxygen whilst at the gym!??! Maybe I notice it more when I am at the gym and probably dont notice it as much other places!
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? I sometimes yawn during aqua aerobics.. but only when I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted/needed the night before. I really seem to need 8 to 10 hours of sleep.. less than 6 hours a night and I'll definitely yawn the next day. 4 hours I can suffer through the next day okay with lots of yawns.. but not with less than 4 hours sleep-that's when I'm really miserable.

lol.... Oh I never get enough sleep! (not through trying....!)
    I have a baby who wakes every 2 hours (sometimes hourly) and so I am constantly up and down and do not get a decent amount of sleep, unfortunately.... but overall, I dont feel tired. The body has adjusted to having madame waking regularly.

I do agree with the whole oxygen/airflow/cool air thingee..... Warmth makes me tired/yawn, and when the air con/fans are on, its great! I must turn them on as soon as I arrive! lol
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I yawn all the time at the gym (pump and step) but I feel so energetic so dont really understand why????
    By the end of my routine I am tired but in a good way.

I think we are all very normal :wink:
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tend to yawn during gym when ive had too much sleep previous night!