Ideas for rewards

Options
I am new to MFP and am giving myself weekly rewards for sticking to weekly goals - at least for the first couple of months. They need to be cheap and ideally non food rewards. Do you have any ideas or things you use to reward yourself with?

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,040 Member
    Options
    Since you said "cheap," I'm not sure you could do this, even though it isn't that expensive. What I have been doing is setting aside $2 for every day I exercise and $10 for every pound I lose. If I gain, I have to take $10 away. Then, I save up for something I really want, but don't necessarily need. So far, I have gotten myself a really nice digital camera and a Kindle Fire.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The mirror.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given myself any specific rewards through this process. New clothes when I needed them is really all I have done! Good luck!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    my kids have produced a reward (and punishment) system for their dad based on losing weight

rewards (one of /per week if weight lost): he gets to choose what we watch on the tv for 2 hours, he gets tea/coffee made for him whenever he asks, gets a meal out (low cal), gets 'good' coffee for a week - there are others but i can not remember them.

He gets specific treats for every 14lb (1 stone) lost. First stone lost was a fillet steak, second stone was a new rugby shirt, not sure what the third stone is (he has not got there yet)

Punishments (one for every 1lb increase); having his HTC phone swapped for a basic Nokia for a week, sitting outside on his own for 1 hour a night to think about what he has done wrong, 1 hour excercise a night, 10 minutes of star jumps a night

This works well for him!
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do this too! But not exactly weekly. So far I've rewarded myself with a spa pedicure, a trip to Victoria's Secret to get fitted and buy new bras in a smaller size, and I have an appointment scheduled for a body wrap.
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also pay myself for exercise, it's a bit steep at $5, but I can ONLY buy "non-essential" stuff from this exercise fund- meaning, electronics, nail polish, etc- if I don't really need it, it's coming out of that fund. That is what got me to stick with exercise, but now honestly it is its own reward.

Another idea- make a list of a few things you really want, and get them for yourself when you hit a certain goal. Right now, my goal is to hit my first goal of 150 by June 13th (summer break begins) and if I do that I am getting a new pair of FitFlops and a new summer bag.
  • ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my kids have produced a reward (and punishment) system for their dad based on losing weight

rewards (one of /per week if weight lost): he gets to choose what we watch on the tv for 2 hours, he gets tea/coffee made for him whenever he asks, gets a meal out (low cal), gets 'good' coffee for a week - there are others but i can not remember them.

He gets specific treats for every 14lb (1 stone) lost. First stone lost was a fillet steak, second stone was a new rugby shirt, not sure what the third stone is (he has not got there yet)

Punishments (one for every 1lb increase); having his HTC phone swapped for a basic Nokia for a week, sitting outside on his own for 1 hour a night to think about what he has done wrong, 1 hour excercise a night, 10 minutes of star jumps a night

This works well for him!

What an amazing support network - how old are your kids?
  • JessV_83
    JessV_83 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My rewards aren't weekly, they're based on reaching mini-goals with my weight loss.

Mostly my rewards are things like a pedi, a hair treatment, a movie date.

Can't wait for next reward of buying a new pair of jeans!

I like the idea someone suggested above of rewarding yourself by putting some cash aside each week - that way, you can afford to do treats like pedi's, hair, etc.

Good luck!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I suspect it will only be weekly for a month or two. But some of these ideas will be handy longer term. I like the paying myself jar and the idea that its total non-essentials.
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump,,,
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options

This works well for him!

That is fantastic! I am so impressed! You have quite the family there :happy:
  • Iceylyons
    Options
    My rewards would also have to be buying clothes. It's so rewarding to buy smaller sizes =)

When I finally reach my goal weight, I will be getting a tattoo. I don't care what anti-tattoo people think, that will be my reward. :bigsmile:
  • Iceylyons
    Options
    My rewards would also have to be buying clothes. It's so rewarding to buy smaller sizes =)

When I finally reach my goal weight, I will be getting a tattoo. I don't care what anti-tattoo people think, that will be my reward. :bigsmile:

And I just realized that in 4 sentences, I said "reward..." 3 times. :ohwell:
  • JillHoff
    JillHoff Posts: 30
    Options
    Since you said "cheap," I'm not sure you could do this, even though it isn't that expensive. What I have been doing is setting aside $2 for every day I exercise and $10 for every pound I lose. If I gain, I have to take $10 away. Then, I save up for something I really want, but don't necessarily need. So far, I have gotten myself a really nice digital camera and a Kindle Fire.

LOVE THIS IDEA!! Gonna steal it :) I am on my way to Europe! LOL!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options

And I just realized that in 4 sentences, I said "reward..." 3 times. :ohwell:

:laugh:
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options

This works well for him!

This is great! It is funny that they know the system well enough to change their rewards and punishments and make them apply to him. And Dad know to follow them because he is setting the standard. :flowerforyou:
  • Anastazia36
    Anastazia36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What about a bracelet with beads or charms? You add one each week and are cheap also.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I reward myself with pedicures, new hair cuts, maybe a new eye shadow or pair of cute sandals.

Sometimes, no reward is needed...just the euphoric feeling when I step on the scale or look in the mirror and see the changes in my body is reward enough!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You'll find as you get more into changing your lifestyle 'treats' will be something you want less of and they tend to steer towards a more healthy way of life. My treats now involve new sports bras or fruit that i normally class as too expensive to buy on a regular basis!

How about doing monthly rewards rather than weekly? Having your nails done, even treating yourself to a new nail varnish.

I put £3 in a pot for every LB i've lost - my goals aren't that huge but when I'm done I know I can have an evening out or some new books :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    buy some cute undies, a new sports bra, workout gear, when you hit 10lbs get a new outfit. I love rewarding myself with clothing. It makes me feel great when I wear something new and something smaller.