Morning runners question

Options
Do you weigh in before you run? This morning was my first morning run and although I'd rather wait till after so I can get out the door and since running help 'get everything moving', I'd like to hydrate prior to going and maybe get a little snack. Given I didn't go too far today but when I do I know I'll need something in my system. Then again I know the best time to weigh is first thing in the morning with nothing in your system. Help?

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in first thing in the morning...Get up out of bed, use bathroom and weigh myself...then I go and start my morning...coffee, is always first on that list!

Weigh in when it works for you...but I know I don't always drink the same amount of water on a run, or run/sweat the same amount each day, so those fluctuations will reflect on a scale for me...
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    1) Whether you weigh yourself before or after your run really doesn't matter just be consistent about either way.
    2) Hydration before a run, is always important especially now that it is starting to get warmer
    3) Snacking before a run, depends on both personal preference and how many miles your going to run. Personally, I don't , because I don't feel comfortable running after I've eaten, plus last nights dinner give me enough energy to power me through my run.

Hope this helps.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have a scale at the moment (need to do that soon) I have been running to my gym before I weigh in for like a year. It's 1.5 miles away, so I'm not too hot or sweaty by then, and I haven't had any water yet but I have had my cereal. Since I've been consistent I think it's fine, but I'm starting P90X next week and will not be going to the gym... I really need a scale at home!!!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh before my run, as soon as I get up. I always weigh within ten minutes of getting up, and I have a drink before I go out and breakfast after I get back, all before I make my way back upstairs.
  • aLatz13
    aLatz13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in naked so i usually wait until right before my post-run shower (since i typically sleep in my run clothes to save time in the mornings lol). i also don't hydrate too much before my run and i sweat a lot so i feel like that evens itself out. I also don't eat too much before i run because i usually only do 3 miles or so, if i'm running longer i'll have some bread with a little peanut butter or something small like that. Usually i eat enough the night before that i'm not hungry in the morning until post-workout. Plus i like to save as much time in the morning as possible, it's literally roll out of bed grab gym bag and hit the road!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself as soon as I get up.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh in before you run? This morning was my first morning run and although I'd rather wait till after so I can get out the door and since running help 'get everything moving', I'd like to hydrate prior to going and maybe get a little snack. Given I didn't go too far today but when I do I know I'll need something in my system. Then again I know the best time to weigh is first thing in the morning with nothing in your system. Help?

Weigh whenever you like. :) It's really only a matter of a few ounces one way or the other, which fluctuates daily, anyway. You'll be tracking your weight week-by-week, over time, right? It will all average out.

I weigh as soon as I've had my morning pee, before eating or drinking anything, but that's just how I do it. It doesn't really matter.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you've been weighing yourself before you eat/drink everyday then you need to keep doing it that way so you are consistent for most accurate readings. It is good to hydrate before a run however your hydration for a run is usually from how much fluids you drank the day before. It is good to eat a banana or something small before a morning run and something that will give you energy yet not upset your stomach.
  • kasgill
    kasgill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really shouldn't matter. I have weighed myself before and after a 6 mile run (sweated a ton) and there was only a half pound difference between the 2 weigh ins.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanks for al the input everyone! Guess I'll have to get up a little earlier to beat my fiancé to the barroom so I can weigh in before I get going!
  • twinshe
    twinshe Posts: 3
    Options
    Sometimes. I am curious to see what I lost in terms of water,etc. I use the pre-run weight to record my weekly results however as I don't run daily - that would give me skewed results. (tempting as it may be) :)