CHIA SEED energy!

Options
Lyra89
Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
I only started taking these two weeks ago and I notice an EXTREME rise in energy levels on days when I have them with breakfast!

So who else takes these little gems and what way do you take yours?

:smile:

For those of you who don't know what they are:

Chia seeds...

Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.

Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.

Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.

Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.

Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!

Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.

They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.

There are TONS MORE benefits...but they are going to become a permanent staple in my diet, I feel I couldn't live without them now as I've never felt better than I do when I have 1tbsp in the morning!

Replies

• meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Is this the same seeds that they use for Chia Pets?? Just wondering....I heard it's a good plant. I remember hearing about people that would eat the Chia off of Chia Pets in salads.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Lyra! I've been hearing a lot about chia seeds, and was actually discussing them yesterday with some coworkers. Thanks for summarizing their benefits...and hearing that they've boosted your energy & whatnot makes me want to check 'em out even more. I wasn't sure whether they were a fad or something.

Okay, you knew this was coming:

If I spread them on my body and water them, will I become a chia pet?
  • rhogar00
    rhogar00 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LOL! Where do you buy them from?
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    I've been reading up n these and I'm keen to try
    I have posted about where to get them or what I'm looking for but had no reply :sad:
    I've seen them online in the UK but not a clue where to try
    I know you're only acreoss the water where did you go?
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    curious to hear how you eat them, on or in what you eat them! :)
  • ___natalia_
    Options
    I take them every morning : )
    I make this smothie that may sound a little weird but I add Pineapple, juice from one grapefruit, celery, parsley and cactus.
    And yes I've read about the Omega-3 before, which is great.
    This smothie is supposed to be a detox plus it helps you with sugar levels.

I've heard you could sprinkle it in everything tho, like salads.
    There is also a chia pudding that I made a week ago, it tasted good but just keep in mind that it does have like 70 cal. per tablespoon.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I eat them in my oatmeal almost every day. You can buy them at health food stores and places like Whole Foods. A little pricey, but worth it. If you use the ground version, you can make 'chia eggs' (egg substitutes for vegans).
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    I actually have been taking/eating chia seeds since December. The reason I started taking them was because I heard that they may help control your blood sugar. Which I have noticed a difference but it is hard to tell if it is because of the chia seeds or me watching my diet. : )

I have tried them in yogurt and oatmeal. I also have put them in scambled eggs. But mostly I just put them in my ice tea. Don't really even know they are there.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Tried them but got stomach cramps. A shame.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds twice a day, in my oatmeal and in my protein shakes!!! They have 2500 mg of Omega 3's!!! that is almost 3 times the amount of a fish oil supplement, and they also have 3 X the antioxidants as blueberries, tons of fiber and iron.... Chia seeds along with Goji berries are probably the two healthiest things on the planet!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about these with a friend! She just puts them in her water and has them that way, she LOVES them and was trying to get me to try them. I just might have to!
  • LisaManySongs
    Options
    I've been hearing about these for quite some time and have wanted to try them. I keep reading about all the benefits which sound excellent. Thanks for the posting. This sounds like something that could really help me. :)

I do believe I'll pick some up today.
  • Lyra89
    Options
    I got mine in the local health food store!

A large bag was 15 euro, but they had a smaller bag for only 2 euro in the 'whole foods' section with no fancy packaging and the girl told me they are the exact same thing! So I stocked up on them, so glad I did!

I cant get over how good I feel and they are the only thing I'm doing differently :) My skin is looking fab too :smile:

I have them in my porridge (oatmeal as Americans call it) this morning I had porridge with jam, peanut butter, banana, soymilk and chia seeds...they make it waaaay more filling and wholesome!

I might start adding them to other foods also, the more the better right!? :smile:
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to get them but find them harder to find, gotta go to the health food store.

One thing, though... "They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system."

Preventing food getting absorbed?? What about the food's nutrients? What truth is there to that sentence?
  • Andrea_McQ
    Andrea_McQ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post Lyra, been considering trying these for a while now and wasn't too sure. Will try to grab a bag next time I'm in the shops!

I went to the health shop a while back looking for an energy boost and the girl recommended a breakfast topper that includes chia seeds along with goji berries, hemp and some other things. I use it with my oatibix, something in the mix tastes a bit odd though so I tend to add a bit of nutella to mask it! I don't know which of the ingredients is giving that flavour, sounds like chia is tasteless so maybe it's the hemp. Anyway the mix definitely works too, even though we're still having sleepless nights here with the baby I've noticed a boost in energy and the other benefits are a nice bonus!
  • Lyra89
    Options
    I've been meaning to get them but find them harder to find, gotta go to the health food store.

One thing, though... "They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system."

Preventing food getting absorbed?? What about the food's nutrients? What truth is there to that sentence?

I copied and pasted all this info really quick from one of the first sites that came up when I typed in CHIA SEEDS to give people an idea of the benefits...perhaps I could have chosen more wisely as this does indeed sound like a bull**** statement :tongue:

BUT they are amazing :smile:
  • Lyra89
    Options
    Thanks for this post Lyra, been considering trying these for a while now and wasn't too sure. Will try to grab a bag next time I'm in the shops!

I went to the health shop a while back looking for an energy boost and the girl recommended a breakfast topper that includes chia seeds along with goji berries, hemp and some other things. I use it with my oatibix, something in the mix tastes a bit odd though so I tend to add a bit of nutella to mask it! I don't know which of the ingredients is giving that flavour, sounds like chia is tasteless so maybe it's the hemp. Anyway the mix definitely works too, even though we're still having sleepless nights here with the baby I've noticed a boost in energy and the other benefits are a nice bonus!

That sounds like a great mix!

Chia are certainly tasteless and have no smell...sounds like it could be the hemp! x
  • Andrea_McQ
    Andrea_McQ Posts: 56 Member
    Options

That sounds like a great mix!

Chia are certainly tasteless and have no smell...sounds like it could be the hemp! x
    I reckon it must be the hemp. It's funny cos the tiniest bit of nutella masks it completely and the rest of the mix is actually yummy! They have a smoothie mix too, just hadn't the time to put the effort in to make a smoothie so might come back to that one!!
  • ValRawn
    ValRawn Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for posting! I will definitely be trying these!!