Cervical Cancer

Options
Phoenix1401
Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
My best friend had a pap smear a month ago, her doctor called her yesterday morning saying she found cancer cells from her cervix. The doctor told her to come back and visit her in 6 months.
My questions are:
How can you get cervical cancer @ a young age? My friend turned 21 two weeks ago.

I read cervical cancer is caused by HPV can you get HPV by unprotected sex?

How can I be supportive? It feels like I cant do anything to help her.

Any advice is welcome thank you.

Replies

• Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just being there and saying that you're happy to listen to her (and just that, rather than trying to give advice) if she ever needs to vent can be helpful.

Yes, you can easily contact HPV with unprotected sex, and is certainly one cause of cervical cancer. The best way to protect yourself against possibly getting cervical cancer is having the Gardasil injection prior to becoming sexually active.

Google is all well and good, but the best way to access information is from a qualified doctor if you want more information regarding causes of cervical cancer.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just being there and saying that you're happy to listen to her (and just that, rather than trying to give advice) if she ever needs to vent can be helpful.

Yes, you can easily contact HPV with unprotected sex, and is certainly one cause of cervical cancer. The best way to protect yourself against possibly getting cervical cancer is having the Gardasil injection prior to becoming sexually active.

Google is all well and good, but the best way to access information is from a qualified doctor if you want more information regarding causes of cervical cancer.
    Thank You :)
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't know that much about cervical cancer, but 6 months seems like a long time inbetween visits if they found cancer cells? I hope everything turns out OK for your friend.
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It's common. I had the same issues when I was 16. Had some biopsies done, they removed the offending cells. All has been well for me. 6 months is pretty standard between visits/tests.

Just be there if she needs you. Help her research it (not necessarily Google, but go to the library). My best girlfriend & I would spend hours upon hours with books reading and learning about it.

Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    my wife was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 34..cause...HPV....she had a radical hysterectomy...its been tough going, but she appears to be ok 2.5 years later. Be supportive....the surgery and anything else afterwards (radiation, chemo) will be TOUGH.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I also had the same thing when I was 20. I had a colposcopy and went in for a check up 6 months later. almost 11 years later my checkups have been fine. She's probably really freaked out, I know was. Be supportive.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    my wife was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 34..cause...HPV....she had a radical hysterectomy...its been tough going, but she appears to be ok 2.5 years later. Be supportive....the surgery and anything else afterwards (radiation, chemo) will be TOUGH.

My mom was 26 when she went through this exact same thing. Thankfully she'd already had me and my brother. She's still doing great though. Fingers crossed that your wife continues to be okay.
  • missyh1
    missyh1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Six months is pretty typical between visits, especially if the cells were found to be "ASCUS." This means they aren't typical looking cells, there are some changes, but they are not cancerous. Sometimes these abnormal cells can be a result of inflammation or infection and by the time the pap test is repeated, the ASCUS cells are gone. If they aren't gone at the 6 month check, your friend will most likely have cryosurgery (freezing off of the suspected areas) or biopsy removal of the area with suspect cells. Most of the time that will be the end of it.

Most cervical cancer/pre-cancer is caused by HPV and doctors will generally run a test for this. It is not always the case, though. I had ASCUS cells removed when I was 22. I am HPV negative. But....at that time all five of my older female cousins had pre-cancerous cells of the cervix removed when they were in their early 20's. I don't think a genetic links have been studied or proven by research, but it is pretty odd.

I wish your friend all the best. Most likely this will be done and over in less than a year and she will never have to worry about it again.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    A good friend, and my favorite cycle instructor was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Spots were found on her liver, as well. I had a LEEP procedure done in 1998. I was not quite 24. For several years, I had Paps every 3-6 months. I have also had 2 babies in that time. The Boy was a preemie and I was on bedrest with his sister. I am also HPV negative although that is the leading cause. It's scary, but this cancer is often detected early and can be removed. Good luck!