My Husband thinks it's ok to finish of calories with cheesec

Options
My husband is on this weight loss with me. He feels that since he has leftover calories/fat/carbs he can eat a piece of cheesecake. I don't think this is correct. These are "empty" calories, am I not right?

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    My husband is on this weight loss with me. He feels that since he has leftover calories/fat/carbs he can eat a piece of cheesecake. I don't think this is correct. These are "empty" calories, am I not right?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm I'd have the cheesecake. as long as it isn't everyday and it fits iinto my calories........ but then again I am weak :laugh:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If I was too restrictive with myself I would never make it. Yep, they are empty - and really fat - calories. But instead of a whole slice maybe you could convince him to have part of a piece and put some blueberries or strawberries on it???? Maybe you can kill two birds with one stone (craving something sweet and getting some fibery fruit).
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would try to keep it earlier in the evening since I believe that the fats would be easily taken from his body and turned right into fat. However, if he can eat the slice of cheese cake and it doesnt put him over his calories or fats for the day... have at it! ~smiling~

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie... just that protein ones are much harder for the body to metabolise than the fats onse!
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM cheesecake!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to have a few calories in my day for something I want lol...100 calorie pack or something! =oP
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    it is empty calories ... but he is probably going to fallow this new lifestyle longuer if he can indulge a little. so why not !
    i had a tiny left over easter egg today .. dark chocolate, 40 cal. hummmmm

but hey . the down side of that is hell probably be hungry again later because cheese cake wont keep you full very long, so then its your time to say, i told you so ..........

may
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I'd go for it :smile:

These are empty calories but cheesecake is rich in proteins. If you add some fruits it's even better.

I've read somewhere that it's quite ok for your body to have ~10% empty calories (read: delicious :happy: ) of your total calories every day. It will help you to stay with the diet (or I should say: your new healthy lifestyle) :smile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you both have calories left over, why not split a piece of cheesecake? :)
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I did this the other night. It was around 9 at night and I had approx 300 calories left and what did I do? I drank 2 light beers and ate 2 tbls of M-n-Ms:ohwell: . I did not feel good about that choice!

But I couldn't think of anything to eat that was good for me but higher in calories. It wasn't until the next morning that it donned on me while I was making my son's lunch. Peanut Butter! I LOVE it and never allow myself it. So that very day, I worked out hard, then came home to a nice apple and PB! :love:

I personally feel that if I have calories to fill, I want to only fill it with healthy foods.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Well did your husband go for the cheese cake? If I had it in the house I know there would be no stopping me, and then I would hate myself for about 10 minutes and get over it:happy:
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments, they really helped. Today, he had a very healthy day of eating and exercise and treated himself to 1/2 of a piece of cheesecake. Personally, I'm not a sweet eater and I would have gone after the BBQ Chips!
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    When my husband and I were on the strict calorie-reduction, we would have an ice cream treat of some sort any night we had some calories left. By allowing ourselves this treat, we never felt deprived by limiting our calories to 1200. We both lost over 15 lbs in 3 months doing this! :happy:

We found the Weight Watchers brand to be very good, and Skinny Cow is only OK. Our favorites are from Perry's (I believe they may be a regional brand).....their regular ice cream bars were only 150 calories, and their "mini" ice cream sandwiches were 120! Unfortunately, our grocery store stopped carrying them in favor of their own brand that are twice the calories and half the taste!! Gggrrrr.

Fudge bars/fudgsicles are low or non-fat and relatively low in calories too.