Is Sushi a healthy meal option?

Options
mischa_12
mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
I have only recently discovered sushi - and i'm in love. I know the calories in them all vary but I was wonder if it is generally a healthy meal option? Say a california roll for lunch?

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    California rolls have a lot of mayo in the krab salad portion...and the rice is a lot of carbs.

I tend to stick to the grilled shrimp, ahi poke salad, edemame beans, cucumber salad etc.

Sushi can be a good protein option, just watch out for the creamy dressings some of them are topped with.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Still better than Mickey Dee's!!!

Watch the sodium in the soy sauce...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If it isn't drenched in soy sauce, I'd go for it. :)
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    California rolls have a lot of mayo in the krab salad portion...and the rice is a lot of carbs.

I tend to stick to the grilled shrimp, ahi poke salad, edemame beans, cucumber salad etc.

Sushi can be a good protein option, just watch out for the creamy dressings some of them are topped with.

I can't say I've had a CA with a crab salad in it. Sounds interesting. I've only had it with crab, cucumber and avocado. Heaven!!! With wasabi...yum!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's sugar in the rice, and lots of rolls made with mayo. Not very healthy overall. But, it's still yummy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its not a bad choice as long as you don't have a medical need to avoid carbs. Pay attention to what the fillings are like, you see some made with those fake crabsticks and loaded with mayo, others with tuna or grilled chicken and avocado - which would be a better choice. The soy sauce does add sodium, but again, unless you've got a medical reason to reduce it, just account for it in your diary and make sure the rest of your day balances out OK.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If it isn't drenched in soy sauce, I'd go for it. :)

Good thing I can't stand soy sauce! it's so salty and is too overpowering.
  • girlholiday
    Options
    I think it depends on what you get.

I ususally get miso soup, and "sexy french" which is a roll without rice, and has a cucumber as a wrap, and a spicy tuna that i split with my boyfriend, add cucumber, and use brown rice instead of white.
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have only recently discovered sushi - and i'm in love. I know the calories in them all vary but I was wonder if it is generally a healthy meal option? Say a california roll for lunch?

Hey!

I love sushi. I generally have cucumber or avocado with chicken teriyaki or salmon.
    Sushi is approx. 300cals for 8 pieces and that no doubt is healthier than Mc Donalds, Pizza hut or other takeaways!

:smile:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I can't say I've had a CA with a crab salad in it. Sounds interesting. I've only had it with crab, cucumber and avocado. Heaven!!! With wasabi...yum!

the 'crab' portion of the cali roll is traditionally imitation krab mixed with mayo, hence 'krab salad'
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I routinely have sushi for lunc. Had some today, in fact. 240 cals, and I find it to be pretty filling. As long as you choose wisly, you're fine.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have to say sushi is my favorite food in the world. I would say if you are just having a roll, then you are fine, owner, I find one roll is not enough.

I will eat sashimi all the time, with just a couple of bites of the rolls. The outsider rolls have more rice, but are a little more filling. The masago (cavier) is quite hogh in sodium and cholestro.

I have been making my own 'sushi' at home for a cheap quick fix. I just make some pickle carrots or daikon, add cucumbers, put my own seafood, and roll it p n a sheet of seaweed. I think it was under 100 cals for a big roll. We do make your own sushi all the time, and the rest of the family puts in the rice they want.
  • silmeria2
    silmeria2 Posts: 13
    Options
    It really depends on how authentic the sushi is. What you buy in the grocery store is loaded with sodium, sugar, oil, you get the point. We often make our own at home and it is much healthier.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it all the time and don't not eat it if you want it, just fit it into your day/week however you do things. Check the nutritional info first, coz they can be quite high due to the rice etc.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    It depends on how you define "healthy". The contents in them varies dramatically, depending on where they're from. I avoid buying food that doesn't have the specific nutritional information (i.e. most takeout places) because you never know how many calories is in it.
    Generally though, if you're only getting it every once in a while, it should be okay.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It can certainly be healthy and yummy but it may not be as healthy as one may think--esp if it's rolls, stuffed and topped with sauce and such. And sushi rice is seasoned and can be high in calories so just know how much, then log it:D

You will have better luck sticking to nigiri sushi (just fish/seafood topped on small amounts of rice) or sashimi. And have a nice salad or appetizers on the side:)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    It can be if you stick to the simpler rolls, like ones with just fish and veggies and not a lot of sauce (and no tempura). I know some places make it with brown rice, now, which is better for you.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    We prepare sushi rolls at home. Actually, the mayo is just a thin spread over the Japanese rice. It wouldn't add more than 50 calories. And yes, watch out for the sodium on soy sauce.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I tend to just eat cucumber rolls, so for me, they're fairly healthy. Mostly veggies, although there's some white rice. It really depends on the roll you get. California rolls, with the exception of rice, aren't bad for you. Watch the calories, though.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love the spicy lump crab rolls with brown rice from Wegmans. Such an easy and tasty lunch option and there isn't any mayo binding the (real) crab.