6 tsps of sugar per day

Options
So.. news this morning says women are supposed to have no more than 6 tsps of sugar per day.. that's like 1/8 cup (1 oz, 27 g)... total?? I hit that just in my yogurt and granola breakfast... holy moly... how the heck are you supposed to do that? They didn't say what research they got this # from, but seems so unrealistic, I'm wondering if you guys have heard the same / different?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, I call it rubbish LOL. I would hit that with my morning yogurt too (which granted is quite high in sugar, but still!). If you don't over do it and balance the sugar with protein and important nutrients, you'll be fine.
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new around here and not much of a 'social networker' forum poster, more of a reader, ...but this one inspired me. You asked how you do it?? Who knows, I may start posting more now.

I've done it so I know. I had to. I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance and I take Metformin as part of my cocktail to control it. It does no good to take the meds if you don't identify the overall cause and fix it. That being said, sugar is hidden in everything!!! So you have to read labels and find alternatives that might be temporary during your journey to a goal, but you can add back things later when you are in maintenance within reason. Short term sacrifices for long term success..anyway...

Two weeks ago today I just cut my sugars to nearly that amount ( 25-35) daily by watching for added empty sugars in foods such as yogurt, coffee creamer, certain carbohydrate foods. I watch my fruit intake as well. I made 4 basic changes:

The only starchy type carbs I eat are regular old fashioned oats and sprouted grains.
    I switched to half and half for creamer (I love actual coffee flavor)
    I eat more vegetables than fruits...and the fruit I eat is usually ONLY half a banana after weights or running.
    I got rid of the fruit on the bottom greek yogurt, switched to SF Caramel Syrup or sugar free jelly mixed in.

I basically quit processed foods and I don't try to find healthier junk, as in, a low fat oreo, skinny cow ice-cream etc...I just don't eat it right now. I don't over do the sugar free stuff either...as long term I personally don't want to do that. I will add back limited sugars once I'm at my goal and in maintenance mode and have gotten my medical issue either under control more or eradicated completely, which IS possible.

In two weeks...I've lost 4.5 lbs...and I'm convinced these dietary changes are the reason...as everything else is equal AND I'm in 'fluid retention' right now, if you catch my drift...
    Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I would caution anyone against getting realistic health advice from the morning news. There is a lot of sensationalist, very specific advice that doesn't apply to everyone, and they tend to skimp on the science.

I can't measure my daily sugar in teaspoons because I don't shove teaspoons of sugar into my mouth :P
  • gummibear2
    Options
    That was very helpful advice! Good luck on your journey! God bless!! :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    personally I don't track sugar. as long as your carbs are on track for the day, eat away.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    personally I don't track sugar. as long as your carbs are on track for the day, eat away.

This
  • schrobecky
    schrobecky Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very cool! Thanks for the reply! I'm in the same boat here, PCOS and insulin resistance... booo, but it is making me more conscious of what I'm eating which is god in the long run :)
    I'm pretty new around here and not much of a 'social networker' forum poster, more of a reader, ...but this one inspired me. You asked how you do it?? Who knows, I may start posting more now.

I've done it so I know. I had to. I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance and I take Metformin as part of my cocktail to control it. It does no good to take the meds if you don't identify the overall cause and fix it. That being said, sugar is hidden in everything!!! So you have to read labels and find alternatives that might be temporary during your journey to a goal, but you can add back things later when you are in maintenance within reason. Short term sacrifices for long term success..anyway...

Two weeks ago today I just cut my sugars to nearly that amount ( 25-35) daily by watching for added empty sugars in foods such as yogurt, coffee creamer, certain carbohydrate foods. I watch my fruit intake as well. I made 4 basic changes:

The only starchy type carbs I eat are regular old fashioned oats and sprouted grains.
    I eat more vegetables than fruits...and the fruit I eat is usually ONLY half a banana after weights or running.
    I got rid of the fruit on the bottom greek yogurt, switched to SF Caramel Syrup or sugar free jelly mixed in.

I basically quit processed foods and I don't try to find healthier junk, as in, a low fat oreo, skinny cow ice-cream etc...I just don't eat it right now. I don't over do the sugar free stuff either...as long term I personally don't want to do that. I will add back limited sugars once I'm at my goal and in maintenance mode and have gotten my medical issue either under control more or eradicated completely, which IS possible.

In two weeks...I've lost 4.5 lbs...and I'm convinced these dietary changes are the reason...as everything else is equal AND I'm in 'fluid retention' right now, if you catch my drift...
    Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Did they count natural sugars (fruits), or just refined sugars? In general, most would agree that refined sugars aren't good for you no matter what. We'll still eat them, of course.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

Good luck!

Well done!! Same here! i used to live on processed food. I did weight watchers and basically my points consisted of cereal bars, choc, crisps, microwave meals. I had no energy and lost weight slowly. Plus i hated "counting" everything. I have now cut down sugar and really upped my protein. I now have 3 healthy meals a day and 2 snacks...all low sugar/high protein/good fats. And i cut carbs out completely for dinner. I am now losing more weight and my body is changing plus i don't feel hungry!!!

I still obviously do have sugar as lots of "good" food does have sugar and it all adds up but i don't have any processed rubbish..apart from one treat meal a week :)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

Good luck!

Ooops forgot to add - i also limit my fruit now. I used to eat LOADS when i was doing weight watchers as it was 0 points but it didn't fill me up!! i now only have a few berries with one of my snacks or breakfast. I have more veg/salad now.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for the last 20 years. I don't limit my carbs lower than what MFP standardly does and I don't limit my sugar. I don't have blood sugar problems, just insulin issues and those were never resolved by cutting sugar or carbs (not saying those aren't admirable goals, but there was no big pay out for me when I tried it and it made me very unhappy). I have been on Metformin at least 12 years but the #1 thing that has done the most for me is exercise.