thoughts on the new coconut water fad

Options

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just because it is gaining popularity where you live does not mean it is a fad.

I have lived overseas in Central and South America for a very long time, and coconut water (fresh out of the coconut or in a commercially sold bottle) is quite common and has been for eons.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just tired flavored coconut water this weekend adn i loved it. It was progamete nectar (spelling) and it was really good. I drank it up real quick. Never have had plain coconut water
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Its too thick for me.

I ave to cut it wit something, or add a small amount to my regular water- mostly Ive been cooking with it since i moved to a Latin neighborhood three years ago- and they force me to use it HAHA
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be delicious, but it tastes like bile :sick:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It's good, but so much better straight from a green coconut. Too expensive though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's good, but so much better straight from a green coconut. Too expensive though.

This.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

This.

Yeah, big time this. I find that the stuff out of a box/carton doesn't have *any* resemblance to the real taste of coocnut water, it has a coppery taste to me. But it's not horrible. If you want to spend six bucks for water.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's lovely and full of nutrients, but I'll stick to water because it is NASTY!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is a coconut water fad?? What is it supposed to do for us?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Love coconut water. I buy it by the case from Amazon, it's cheapest that way. Plain, no extra flavoring VitaCoco. Mmmm. Think I'll have some now. A little bit of the Tropics on this chilly April morning in the NW.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    i dont like it.... I do like, though, the new Sobe lifewater pomegranate nectarine with coconut water...
  • tookieloomis
    Options
    I love it..... really helps me after a long day when I feel my muscles in my legs cramping up... I look for the sale items and have tried various brands... they all taste different but it's worth it. Better than buying Gatorade!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Most studies show that it doesn't really do anything. For exercise under and hour, water is better, for over an hour, a sports drink is better. It has electrolytes, but not enough to keep cramps away. The latest article was in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition: "Comparison of coconut water and a carbohydrate-electrolyte sport drink on measures of hydration and physical performance in exercise-trained men"

It won't hurt you, though you should stay away if you have weak kidneys, since it is the milk of green (unripe) coconuts, and some people can't digest it well, leading to kidney stones when your body has to filter out undigested potassium.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh god it's so nasty. We got it as a gift in our swag bag for a triathlon I did..... freaking gross. gah! And that's my 0.02
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Its too thick for me.

I ave to cut it wit something, or add a small amount to my regular water- mostly Ive been cooking with it since i moved to a Latin neighborhood three years ago- and they force me to use it HAHA

i think you might be referring to something else as i have never seen thick coconut water
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Its too thick for me.

i think you might be referring to something else as i have never seen thick coconut water

Sounds like they're talking about coconut milk.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    I love it! And I don't care about it's nutrients.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I really like it. I enjoy the flavor a lot. That said, if you drink too much, you'll probably have the worst diarrhea ever :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like it, it's very hydrating - I don't drink it daily but save it for after really tough workouts.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I wanted electrolytes, I take the cheaper and tastier route of eating a handful of salted peanuts.