Husband Thinks This is Idiotic...

Options
My husband thinks my calorie counting, exercise, etc... is foolish.

When he saw me online putting in my food info, he rolled his eyes and laughed.

Just wondering if any of you have or are dealing with anything similar?

It hurts my feelings. I would love to have my husband's encouragement and support, but realize that is not realistic.

Except for all of you - and my mother who's also trying to lose weight - I feel quite alone!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks my calorie counting, exercise, etc... is foolish.

When he saw me online putting in my food info, he rolled his eyes and laughed.

Just wondering if any of you have or are dealing with anything similar?

It hurts my feelings. I would love to have my husband's encouragement and support, but realize that is not realistic.

Except for all of you - and my mother who's also trying to lose weight - I feel quite alone!

Carrie
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am sorry your husband is not more supportive. But stay strog we may not be close but we are here for you. My hubby didn't say much until he saw me shrinking and is much more supportive now. Keep with it and don't take his comments to seriously. :flowerforyou:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your husband is not being supportive..but I agree with Eve, I think that once he starts to see those pounds fall off you, he may not think that all of this is so silly! Just keep up the good work and you'll always have all of us to support you!
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    YES my hubby did that in the beging, he supports me in losing weight and wants to help however he can, he just doesent want me to be on here all the time, he doesent understand why I need more support when I have his! I think the more support the more chanse i have of one day reaching my gaol and someday I will and you will to.:flowerforyou:

Mary:happy:
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    My husband also thought it was a bit silly, until he realized that I'm achieving my goal. He thought I looked fine 30 lbs heavier and thinks I look fine now too. The difference is that I like how I look/feel better now! Do this for you and not for anyone else! Someone recently saw me eating my two healthy (sugar-free-no-fat-whole-grain) cookies that I allow myself for my snack. She asked me "Is this living for you?" I told her that not having headaches (because I'm not eating processed sugar anymore) and fitting into my clothing is living for me and if eating my healthy snack is my way of having a better life - so be it!

Hang in there and realize that what you are doing is a long-term-for-life committment. Once he sees that you're serious and successful, he probably won't think it's so silly anymore!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I had no support from anyone:noway: , in fact I had alot of negativity:ohwell: ...didn't care, been at my goal weight since December :bigsmile: and most of those people are still complaining about their weight!:wink::tongue:
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I'm sorry for you. My husband want us both healthy and fit. He's anxious to see me in something a bit more sexy then a t-shirt and boxer shorts and socks to bed. Because I'm s motivated, he's doing this with me. I have a feeling he will "cheat" because he LOVES to eat. But he's going to have to get over it if he wants to be healthy. I'm in for the long haul!
  • joanne123
    joanne123 Posts: 69
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    sometimes people are scared of change... even when on the surface it seems like something good, it can still be scary
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for me ... so I dont care what anyone else thinks to be honest I just get on with it and log my calories etc.

My family do take the mickey out of my wieght sometimes & I dont really look that big, as I am tall and carry it quite well, but the weightloss is for me, as I dont feel happy about being overweight ... not because they joke about it.

But I do wish they would give some praise for the effort I am putting in rather than being the butt of the occasional joke.

I decided though at the end of the day, I will be the one laffing when I reach my goal, so I figure what they think? isnt really that important... Because I will be the one who succeeded...
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm sorry he isn't being supportive of your hard work. :cry:

Be true to yourself......you will feel better, look better, and be healthier as you lose weight and improve your fitness level. Some people just don't understand why anyone would want to deprive themselves of "goodies", torture themselves at the gym, decide not to eat something they really want, worry about every little calorie. [those aren't MY words....those have come from non-supportive people] BUT, there are rewards those people will never experience......higher self-esteem, better-fitting clothes, better cardiac health.

I have co-workers who, after 7 months, still don't get it. I don't care......I've lost 18 lbs, my blood pressure is lower, and my cholesterol dropped 30 points!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. Maybeb he legitimately doesn't feel like you need to lose weight. If you talk to him about how important it is to you I'm sure he will understand and stop with the silliness. Maybe you can even get him to do it with you! :wink:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My husband is kind of similar. He thinks I'm not trying to lose weight when I am. However, he complains if I ask him to take the baby so I can exercise. Well, how does he think I am going to do it?!?!

I think it's just that change is hard. Maybe your hubby is deep-down worried that you are going to try and change how HE eats or lives.
  • Wantabe
    Wantabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey Carrie, read Deana's post. She says it all. wantabe:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    aw I'm sorry hon....

just keep at it....some folks don't realize the benefits of coming online for support....I think it can be remarkable and keep at it for you and your kids....he may understand more as you lose as others have said!

My hubby was cool w/ it....he doesn't have a weight issue and thinks I look great....gotta love him huh lol...but he understands my quest for health so he supports it....the exercise thing well I think I put the quilt on myself for doing it instead of being w/ my son...so I try to bring him w/ me like in his jogger for a run....its crazy but that's just me...lol....I'd be sort of p-o'd if he wouldn't watch him and I asked him too....maybe you could talk to him about that...

like...you'll feel better when you exercise, you'll have more energy for him and your kids, a happy mommy makes a happy family....

anyway....good luck and stay strong...thinking of ya!
    hugs,
    ali
  • HannahRoo
    HannahRoo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband thought it was foolish until I explained how the site supports eating enough calories to keep your body from going into starvation mode. I know I wouldn't have a clue how many calories I was eating unless I logged them. He thought I was going to be starving myself like I did when I was on diets in the past where I became discouraged and just gave up. I also told him that I need support going into this or I'll never get through with it. I think that made him realize that I'm serious this time. My hope is that he'll jump on the bandwagon as soon as he sees the results I get from logging my calories.:wink:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was very unhappy with my weight and decided this was the year because we are done having kids. So my husband decided he would lose weight too (lots of heart disease in his family and he's has high cholesterol). He also laughed and teased me about logging in all my foods. Then I started losing weight and he did not. He stopped laughing and joined too, and we've both lost 20 lbs. Now he is actually measuring his food out and constantly asks me how many calories are in anything I make for meals. Maybe your husband just needs time to see results to understand that it really does work. And remember, it does take time!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! My husband is my worst enemy :mad: :mad: He is the one sabotaging my efforts. He says that I don't need to lose any weight, who am I trying to impress, why do I want to lose weight, etc etc...he should be on here actually. :laugh: :laugh: Sometimes I listen to him and let him "sabotage" me and other times I just stay firm and move on...I am doing it for him I am doing it for me...
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Sorry Chick, as said before from all the wonderful responces, do it for you.
    Having support is great and this site is full of support.
    My DH supports me 100% and that helps me.
    I also have a personal weight loss buddy.

Trust me my mom and sister never support me with anything and sometimes, you have to turn away from family when you have a goal. They just make it worse.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    MY BOYS (ESPECIALLY THE 9 YR. OLD) SOMETIMES ASK ME WHY I PUT MAKEUP ON AND GET DRESSED UP WHEN I GO OUT. AFTERALL, I ALREADY HAVE A MAN (THEIR DAD:wink: )
    ANYWAY, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND I'M "DRESSING UP" TO LOOK GOOD FOR MYSELF. THEY GET JEALOUS IF OTHER MEN LOOK AT ME. IT SEEMS THAT YOUR HUSBAND MIGHT BE SUFFERING FROM THE SAME CHILDISH ATTITUDE. TRY AND LET THE NEGATIVITY FLOW OFF YOUR SHOULDERS AND BE POSITIVE! GOOD LUCK!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    MY BOYS (ESPECIALLY THE 9 YR. OLD) SOMETIMES ASK ME WHY I PUT MAKEUP ON AND GET DRESSED UP WHEN I GO OUT. AFTERALL, I ALREADY HAVE A MAN (THEIR DAD:wink: )
    ANYWAY, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND I'M "DRESSING UP" TO LOOK GOOD FOR MYSELF. THEY GET JEALOUS IF OTHER MEN LOOK AT ME. IT SEEMS THAT YOUR HUSBAND MIGHT BE SUFFERING FROM THE SAME CHILDISH ATTITUDE. TRY AND LET THE NEGATIVITY FLOW OFF YOUR SHOULDERS AND BE POSITIVE! GOOD LUCK!

I couldn't agree more. Maybe your husband is feeling threatened by your lifestyle change?:frown:
    He can only have as much influence as you allow him to...and if he is being downright rude or mean, I would tell him about his self!