Favorite home cardio-not running or walking

Options
Okay, folks, I'm facing a week of being home with my kids next week. I like to do a good long bit of cardio work after my 30 day shred, but need ideas of what to do while I'm at home. At work I have a gym with a pool and machines, but at home I have none of that. With bad knees my doctor has banned running. Walking aggravates the knee injury too since my neighborhood is all hills. I have some good power yoga workouts and will do those every other day, but need something fill in the others.

So what cardio do you like to do at home that's not running or walking and is nice to knees?

TIA for your suggestions!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my conditioning work is gonna stress the knees as much or more than walking.

The only thing I can think to get ur heart rate up without too much knee strain would be lots of pushups, or some kettlebell work.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my conditioning work is gonna stress the knees as much or more than walking.

The only thing I can think to get ur heart rate up without too much knee strain would be lots of pushups, or some kettlebell work.

This....I can't think of any cardio that would aggravate a knee less than walking.....Maybe bicycle riding or in-line skating?
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When I was on crutches last year, I did alot of punching my punching bag which gets your heart rate up for sure. If you don't have one, air boxing works too!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    dancing, Zumba, maybe seomthing like that. I bet they have some youtube videos
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bike! You can even take the kids with you on the ride.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wii Zumba 2 or Just Dance 3
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Try out an elliptical machine. No knee impact and a great cardio workout. My right knee is problematic but I have no problems on the elliptical.
  • slparsaca
    slparsaca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you have Wii boxing? Do that for at least 30 minutes (or longer). You could even get the kids involved.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I prefer Just Dance/Zumba on Wii along w/kettle ball...also resistance band work...

good luck!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Since you can't walk outside because of the hills. You can try "Walk at home" dvds by Leslie Sansone (2 mile or 5 mile fat burn intervals). It should be low impact but with a calorie burn that won't aggravate your knees.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    would a mini trampoline work? Rebounder.

I do a great workout on mine from youtube and its great and fun too. Very quiet which is a bonus for early mornings!
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says punching is great cardio if you have a lower body injury and can't do other things. When I do 30DS, my injured foot can only handle so many jumping jacks or jumping rope or butt kicks, so I stop after a bit and do punches. My husband has a bad knee, and he has to be careful with biking, so don't rush into anything. Especially if you live in a hilly area (biking on hills kills his knee).

Good luck!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Jump Rope!

ETA: Sorry, this may not be super easy on the knees ... I agree with the punching, that can be a great cardio workout and you use primarily your upper body!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Rebounding on my mini-trampoline, so fun and very effective at calorie burning and toning :smile:

Pick one up, they don't cost a fortune and are a great investment!
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Heavy Bag.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    dance! turn on the music and dance with the kids. Nothing spectacular, just don't stop moving. have fun with it, build up a sweat, burn some calories, and LAUGH!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    jump roping and shadow boxing!!!!
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    When I was on crutches last year, I did alot of punching my punching bag which gets your heart rate up for sure. If you don't have one, air boxing works too!

^ This is what I was going to suggest!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When I had my foot in a walking cast I feel I had alot of this as a problem. I am an avid turbo jams user and I just couldn't do much of the video. I did a lot of work on my therapy ball. I would do 30 minute routines of punching while stabilizing my core on the ball. I could also do sit ups and pushups on the ball...things I couldn't do without the ball because of the cast. Also, there are plenty of fitness ball workouts you can rent/download/etc.
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try Turbo Jam - but follow the lower impact girl, particularly I'm thinking the 20 min workout.

There is a move in there where she shows you how to pivot so you don't twist your knee - I just hold my lower body totally still sometimes and just work it as upper body.

I sprained both ankles 2 yrs ago, and still have days where they bother me, so I can't take anything high impact either, and I love Turbo Jam (20 min workout is my fave, even though there are other higher impact ones).

She always has someone for the modified version, one of whom lost like 70 or 80 pounds just doing the low impact. ("her feet never left the floor" according to what she says in the video).

Or, I was thinking Slim in 6, because her cardio isn't really hard on the knees if you do modified, but you'd have to be careful about her squats though (which she does a LOT of).

Turbo Jam is from Beachbody. Turbo Fire is the next level up, but you can still do modified (I am!)