BLASTED BELLY FAT!!

Options
First off I already know there is no way to "spot remove". However, what can I do about this blasted belly fat that will not go away!?! I have lost in this region, but it appears that I'm losing everywhere else more consistently. Is there any food and/or exercise that I can do to help aid in the process?

Replies

• Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    Cardio is best for all over fat loss! :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Reduce your stress levels! It's true that increased cortisol will make you hold on to belly fat more. But you need cortisol to survive! But the stress most of us face on a daily basis is enough to give us stubborn belly fat. Take up meditaion, tai chi or yoga. They're all great stress relief. You'd be amazed at what a 10 minute meditation session can do for your body!
  • cklei
    cklei Posts: 29
    Options
    I have the same problem and I think I will try Yoga, I just gained back over half of what I had lost after a VERY stressful month
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Cardio is best for all over fat loss! :)
    Untrue. Cardio is best for burning calories in a timed duration (say an hour) compared to most other exercises. Calorie deficit with a combination of a good strength training routine and some cardio renders the better results than just doing cardio alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The belly is the last to go for a lot of people...especially if you are an 'apple' like me. As you keep losing weight your belly will get smaller too.

I can get within a few pounds of my goal weight and still have a bit of belly fat.
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Actually - cardio & weight training together is a really good combination of exercise to lose fat. Here is a link to a good article about belly fat I found on webmd. There is a lot of good information here.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/5-fat-burning-strategies
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Reduce your stress levels! It's true that increased cortisol will make you hold on to belly fat more. But you need cortisol to survive! But the stress most of us face on a daily basis is enough to give us stubborn belly fat. Take up meditaion, tai chi or yoga. They're all great stress relief. You'd be amazed at what a 10 minute meditation session can do for your body!
    There are many ways to "use" cortisol correctly though. It's involved in any resistance training or exercising in general (which is still stressing the body albeit different then stress from work, etc.) and this helps to reduce stress. Overall though belly fat (or any fat in particular) comes down to calorie deficit and a good exercise program to promote calorie expenditure.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Good info!! I just started the south beach diet on Monday. It was not far off from what I already eat, just had to do a few alterations here and there, but I'm doing more clean eating overall. I'm addicted to cardio! I have just started strength training, but I need to be more consistent in it.