Calling all MFP's that eat to lose!!

Options
2»

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who hates the thought of eating back all those calories I have sweated to burn, but it does make sense. I eat approx 1300 calls a day and burn 1000 a day and was GAINING weight. As of TODAY, I'm going to up eating my exercise calories by eating 500 of them, taking me to around 1800-2000 calls of food a day after a 1000 calorie burn.

Thank you for starting this thread!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Amazing story!!! Keep up the good work!!

I too started off at 1200 and lost a little weight but then stopped...My weight has been fluctuating 2-3lbs so I decided to eat more calories and I'm giving it some time to see the effect it will have on me... It takes time which some people don't understand... Will you gain a few lbs?? Yes, but that's only in the beginning while your body is trying to adjust... With time it will eventually see that you are fueling it and it will let the excess weight go...
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I definitely started out wanting to do things in a way that I could KEEP IT UP! I started at 229 lbs and about 1800 calories. Now I usually average around 1600 calories. I've lost more than 65 lbs in about 13 months. I also exercise most days so that's a big part of it of course. I also try my best to eat healthier but I'm FAR from perfect.

Congrats mama! :D
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I always found the 1200 calorie limit hard to sustain. I am currently eating 1600 a day + exercise calories and feeling GREAT! I have been gradually increasing the calories and tracking the progress so that I can get a better handle on how my body processes food. I would encourage anyone trying to survive on minimum calorie requirements to ask yourself these questions 1. How long can you sustain this? 2. How is your energy level - do you FEEL like working out every day or do you drag? 3. Do you really know how your body processes the food that you eat?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yep! I eat 1800-2100 cals/day and net 1400-1500. Have lost 104 lbs doing this and still losing about a lb/week. Getting close to goal and keep hearing my loss will slow down but it hasn't. I also lift heavy and switch up routines and mix up the cardio quite often.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thread....It actually makes me feel better knowing there are others out there with similar experiences AND it helps to keep me motivated.
  • big_eye
    big_eye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im trying to grasp the concept!! Eat to lose without compromising calories burned...thanks so much to my friend Lucyhoney!!
  • poddington
    poddington Posts: 7
    Options
    But how? How do ou eat to lose?
    I dont get the opportunity to exercise in the day so have tried to stick to 1200 cals and 30 mins walking a night
    Please please tell me how to eat to lose cos i think 1200 cals is hard to sustain
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am at 1600 net right now, I eat up to 2000 on workout days. I feel great, and I'm losing. So I'm happy :) On 1200 I was GRUMPY, tired, and barely able to concentrate. I feel much better now :P I work out 5 days per week and I love it! I also aim for at least 100g protein each day, that seems to help me lose better :)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Poddington.

I can get over 1200 calories just by sneezing. It isn't pretty!

Ok seriously. Eating high calorie, healthful foods like almonds, walnuts, truly whole grain foodstuffs, heck even a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (ingredient label should only read: Peanuts) all have huge amounts of healthful calories. Yes these also have fats in them, but they are the -good- fats (in moderation, which means don't sit down and have a bowl full of almonds in 1 sitting.) Pay attention to the portions.

I don't know if you used the MFP tool to calculate your calorie intake or not, but I did- and it has worked wonders for me. When I first joined I was expected to eat 1800 calories, through the course of time I have been weaned down to 1500, which has taken some practice getting the hang of. One of the best things I do is go for walks. Brisk walks are the best, at least for me, and I use my heart rate monitor to help guide my pace along with my FitBit and smart phone app (Endomondo.) Between those three I have been quite successful at walking/earning extra calories as a buffer to give myself more overall calories to eat spread throughout the day. I feel better from walking, and don't feel as intimidated by the calorie recommendation.

Which all boils down to eating to lose weight. I eat 5 times a day. 3 meals and 2 snacks through the day; all healthy content, all easy to keep track of in MFP, and my snacks easy to pack and carry.

Does it really work? Well, before January I would have 2 meals a day (skipped breakfast,) countless grazing sessions per day, and didn't do much in the way of exercise. I can't account for the calorie intake I used to have, but I do know that right now I am eating more frequently, eat more healthfully, and doing more activity- which gives me more of a calorie allowance (which means more food!) Look at where my weight is now on my ticker. All because I decided to start eating more mindfully, and a heck of a lot more active than I used to be.

So I guess I would suggest you look into letting MFP guide you through your calorie intake recommendation and try that out for a while. Good luck, whatever you decide :)
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I've upped to 1800-1900 and am losing easily, I used to feel like I would never lose my last 10 pounds, until I started eating :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!