Any P90X Users out there...

Options
I am wanting to try the P90X System because I have heard and seen great results from it. In your opinion, how hard would you say it is? Did you feel like you got a really intense workout? What were your results while being on the program?

Please share! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in month 2 right now. Although the scale isn't moving much, I am losing inches and my clothes are much baggier on me. :laugh: I am building a lot of muscle too. Although I do like the program, if you want to lose more weight, I don't think it's the way to go. I will finish the program, but them I have 25 more pounds to lose. After that comes off, I plan to do P90X again to see even better results.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For me it was intense- but not dripping sweat can't catch your breath heart rate really high hard. It's much more focused on muscle growth. I had great results- and still use several of the videos in my weekly routines.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on week 10 at the moment but I'm doing the P90x along with running on a treadmill - instead of doing their plyometrics, kenpo or yoga i do interval running on the treadmill those days. I can honestly say I think it's done me the world of good - definitely have more definition than I ever have and am leaner. I haven't followed their nutrition program, I've just upped my protein intake and ate within my calorie range. Prior to that I've been a regular gym goer for the past 14 years so am familiar with lifting weights etc but I can honestly say that the strength training days are awesome, even though I'd been use to lifting dumbbells etc I still had to start off fairly light. I'd say the most important things about P90x is to do the best that you can, even if you can only do a few push ups etc to start and then go to your knees or even just start on your knees and as you go through the program you'll surprise yourself at how much you progress - it's good because you log everything you do so can compare it over the weeks.

But I would say if your main goal is weight loss then maybe Beachbody Insanity might be the better way to go - I've seen some fantastic results from that on forums and that looks quite intense but no weights involved. Good luck with whatever you do :smile:
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did P90X a few years back and loved it. I'm doing P90X2 now and I love it even more. I enjoy the workouts more than the first, and the schedule allows for a lot more flexibility and customization than the first. You need more equipment for it, but I feel more athletically fit than I did after the first because this has a lot more functional fitness in it. My girlfriend is doing P90X2 with me and loves it too.
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It works no doubt about it. If you are just chasing the scale to a number, you might not see the loss you want but you will lose weight. If you want to be fitter, wear smaller clothes and look better all around, than I highly recommend it.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    I did P90X a few years back and loved it. I'm doing P90X2 now and I love it even more. I enjoy the workouts more than the first, and the schedule allows for a lot more flexibility and customization than the first. You need more equipment for it, but I feel more athletically fit than I did after the first because this has a lot more functional fitness in it. My girlfriend is doing P90X2 with me and loves it too.

I'm really interested in P90x2! I think I'll do another round of P90x first though as P90X2 looks REALLY hard - is it really as hard as it looks????!!!

The only thing is that you can't get hold of it here in the UK yet :mad: - America always seems to be one step ahead of us brits :bigsmile: And your food always sounds nicer too!
  • UnderConstructionLuis
    Options
    Yep....P90X user here. I am a few weeks away from finishing up the 90 day program. I absolutely love it. Like anything, you will get results if you follow the program. As the jram70 mentioned......you will lose the weight but if you do measurements, you will absolutely see a loss in inches. For me, that's the true measure of progress.
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Started p90x about 10 days ago, you need to be prepared to 'forget the rest' some but its just important you keep at it and push yourself. If this is your introduction to working out you may be taking oon more than you can chew but thats a personal thing some folks jump right in. For me I started with p90 then went to p90m and now on to the x work but I am 43 and not quite as spry as I once was. (tony horton is pushing 50 now or something though id say). I have heard people say that weight loss really occurs in 30-60 day range as well, but numbers on the scale arent as importnat as they used to be to me either as long as I can see the difference in my clothes and appearence. P90 and the master series (p90m) and of course diet have me in better shape than I have been in probably 10 years. i dont follow the diet guide exactly either I just use MFP eat back as many excercise cals as I can without busting my macros too bad and eat more protein..I also run on strength training days (3-4 days a week).
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I'm really interested in P90x2! I think I'll do another round of P90x first though as P90X2 looks REALLY hard - is it really as hard as it looks????!!!

The only thing is that you can't get hold of it here in the UK yet :mad: - America always seems to be one step ahead of us brits :bigsmile: And your food always sounds nicer too!

P90X2 is tough, no question about it. Especially for the stabilizer muscles. You hit them really hard in phase 1. But the cool thing is that the first two phases are scheduled for 4 to 6 weeks each (you can decide how long), and you can mix in the recovery week whenever you want, as many times as you want. There are also 2 recovery days instead of just the 1, which allows for your muscles to actually recover better. I'm in fairly good shape, and it was tough the first time I tried some of the moves, but I'm about 12 weeks in and can do all the moves (some still need improvement though! haha) in phases 1 and 2. I'm doing a Mud Run on 4/14, then phase 3 starts. They say not to do phase 3 for more than 4 weeks. I can't wait to see what it offers. The ONLY complaint I have about it is that my cardio level isn't as high as I would like. I added some running in with P90X2 and it has helped. But the results are definitely there...at least my girlfriend thinks so! :tongue:

Feel free to add me if you have any more questions!

(My meter at the bottom says I was at 194.4 when I started, but I was at 198.8 when I started P90X2)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As a bit of advice, P90X has a fitness test that they recommend you take before starting it. DW & I aren't in the best shape and couldn't hit all of the recommended stuff. It was suggested that we do a round or two of Power 90 (from the same people/person) before moving on to P90X. So that is what we are doing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on week 10 at the moment but I'm doing the P90x along with running on a treadmill - instead of doing their plyometrics, kenpo or yoga i do interval running on the treadmill those days. I can honestly say I think it's done me the world of good - definitely have more definition than I ever have and am leaner. I haven't followed their nutrition program, I've just upped my protein intake and ate within my calorie range. Prior to that I've been a regular gym goer for the past 14 years so am familiar with lifting weights etc but I can honestly say that the strength training days are awesome, even though I'd been use to lifting dumbbells etc I still had to start off fairly light. I'd say the most important things about P90x is to do the best that you can, even if you can only do a few push ups etc to start and then go to your knees or even just start on your knees and as you go through the program you'll surprise yourself at how much you progress - it's good because you log everything you do so can compare it over the weeks.

But I would say if your main goal is weight loss then maybe Beachbody Insanity might be the better way to go - I've seen some fantastic results from that on forums and that looks quite intense but no weights involved. Good luck with whatever you do :smile:

Oh I'm glad you liked it because that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm training for a 5k (the couch to 5) so i was planning on just replacing plyo, kenpo and yoga with that each week and only doing the strength/weight work outs.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    I did 120 days of it in 2009...IMHO it's just too much work. The workouts are great, but an hour+ per day is intensely demanding and while I managed to make it 120 days missing only a couple workouts, I had a cake job and only one kid at the time. No way could I make it work now. Also, the key to P90X and getting ripped is sticking to the diet. MFP/calorie counting would be just as effective but be ready to add back calories for the long workouts.

I sold several of the discs that I didn't enjoy the workouts (pullups) but kept core synnergistics, plyometrics, yoga, stretch, chest/shoulders/arms & the legs/back workouts as I still do those workouts from time to time. I still try to do ab ripper X ~1 per week. It really depends on your goals and what you can afford to put in. It's a great, no-membership/minimal equipment system. It's a good boot camp of sorts but in my busy life I've become a BIG fan of HIT (high intensity training) started by Arthur Jones and popularized by Ellington Darden and some famous body builders. Check out Ellington's book from the library as it's an easy read. Essentially their position is that working too often prevents the body from recouperating fully. The high volume of sets/reps also prevents the mind from truly giving it all to any given set which is why they tout once per week lifting, one set per exercise and no rest between sets meaning an 8 exercise workout only takes me about 20 minutes and maintains a 130-160 BPM heartrate throughout. Slow concentrated movements and 4-10 second negatives but this can require exercise machines or freeweights+spotters. It works for me especially since now I've got two kids and work has gotten more demanding.

One thing's certain now: I never miss a workout since I only do it once every 7-10 days! P90X worked for me at the time although I didn't trim the fat I wanted because I didn't follow the diet but I got stronger. I couldn't do it today though if I tried...I'm just too busy. It doesn't hurt to experiment and enough people have made it work so it might for you. There are many ways to get in shape, many ideas about what "in shape" or "strong" means...the important thing is to find something that works for you and stick with it. Take care of your P90X investment as there's significant demand for its discs/books on Ebay if you decide it's not for you...even the nutrition guide is worth $20 used!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have done it 1 and a half times...on week 9 now. I lost 40 lbs the first time and and now I am losing more and leaning down.
    Join this group on here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1620-p90x-2012

It is tough at first cause I wasn't use to the workouts. Once my body got back into the workout grind and knowing I will not let it be lazy, I was able to do it no problem. Important thing is you HAVE to eat properly for optimum results.

I didn't have time or money to prepare the meals from the food booklet so I saw what they basically suggested and made healthy choices with my eating.

Good luck and enjoy, Just push play!
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    Hi,

Oh I'm glad you liked it because that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm training for a 5k (the couch to 5) so i was planning on just replacing plyo, kenpo and yoga with that each week and only doing the strength/weight work outs.

Good luck with your 5K!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've never used it but Monday I actually talked to a lady at the gym I hadn't seen in a few months. She said she lost a lot of weight, which I could tell, but she felt weaker in the gym. She couldn't lift as much as she could before she started P90x, so from a strength perspective she's kind of starting over. I've read-up on the routines and I believe it. If you were doing absolutely nothing prior to P90x then you might have some strength benefit but if you've been lifting you probably won't have any strength benefit to it.