For the ladies that strength train

Options
Just out of curiosity when you say you lift heavy how much do you lift??

Such as squats, cable fly, leg press ect......

I like to think that I'm doing good as far as the gains in the weight that I lift but maybe I was a weakling to start with and now I'm just average. :laugh:

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use anywhere between 5-15 depending on the exercise. I follow CLX.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For me lifting heavy means up to 5-8 reps. I usually do the standard: work up to 12 then add more weight.

Right now I squat & dead lift 65#, but it's what's heavy for you. There are lots of ladies who lift more or less but it's the effort you put in that matters, not what others are doing.
  • PupyL
    PupyL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My goal for weights is 3 sets of 12 of each exercise.

I will not-so-proudly admit that I just began arm weights and can't do more than 5 lbs.

The hip abductor and leg machines hover around 100 lbs. I am 5'7", moderately fit and jog daily. But not strong.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do body weight stuff because I'm still a good 70lbs overweight. I use the Jungle Gym XT and do dynamic squats, lunges, planks, pushups, box jumps.... stuff like that... plyometrics stuff. I do a lil bit of kettlebell work with 17lb bells, and use a 12lb medicine ball. That's it!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options

I like to think that I'm doing good as far as the gains in the weight that I lift but maybe I was a weakling to start with and now I'm just average. :laugh:

Squat: 105
    Bench press: 115
    Leg extensions: 140
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 35
    Deadlift: 125
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm just new working with NRWFW, at the moment I am doing:

25 lb weights with shoulder presses
    20 lb weights with lounges
    30 lb weights for the step-ups
    130 lbs for seated row
    10 lbs for crunches
    25 lbs on each side (50 total) for squats
    75 lbs for lat pull downs

Thats just what I can remember from my head, but i'm only doing 8 reps and 3 sets at the moment.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a professional trainer. I'm only on my 4th appt (with 20 more booked). She changes my reps each time. One day its 3 sets of 15, the next day its one set of 50, the next day its 2 sets of 15, depending on what she has me doing. She says one of the keys is to keep changing so your muscles dont know what to expect.
    She also says no matter what you do, your last rep should be a real effort to finish. So if I"m doing 70 lb squat presses, my last few should be a struggle. If my first rep is a struggle she will lower the weights. Etc.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    i can squat 30# + the bar....but I'm only slightly sure the bar is around 45#...maybe? I'm new to lifting but I love it.

I don't do anything like curls but my deadlift is about the same and I'm only at 10# for shoulder presses....thats a huge weak point for me.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I know from another topic like this that I am not that strong yet... usually 5 sets of 5

Bench: 85 lbs
    Squat: 125 lbs
    Shoulder Press/bicep curls/lateral raises: 25lb dumbells
    Leg Press: 130lbs plus machine
    Lat Pull downs: 80lbs
    Seated Cable Rows: 80 lbs
    Deadlift: 115lbs

None of these are the amount I am capable of in 1 rep, but what I can do with 30 sec rest inbetween 5 sets of 5-8 reps
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I work out at home so I don't use the machines, but for squats I do 20 lbs on a small bar (I'm not sure the weight of the bar), 15 pound dumbbells for lunges, 60 pounds for quad raises and 50 pounds for hamstring raises.

Anything is better than nothing so just do what you can! :smile:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    For me lifting heavy means up to 5-8 reps. I usually do the standard: work up to 12 then add more weight.

Right now I squat & dead lift 65#, but it's what's heavy for you. There are lots of ladies who lift more or less but it's the effort you put in that matters, not what others are doing.

I agree with this. Heavy means lifting as much weight as you can with proper form for 5-8 reps, although same say 6-10.

For example, when I started lifting heavy meant a 30 lbs DB bench press. Now it's an 80 lbs DB bench press.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I do a circuit at the gym that works out my entire body. I do this 2-3 times a week (and I do pilates 2 times a week, and cardio 4-5 times a week).

My weights range anywhere from 35-110 lbs, and I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. It's really whatever your comfortable with; you don't want to hurt yourself.

I say, start off with a weight that isn't easy but won't kill you. Whenever that starts feeling too easy, bump up the weights by 5-10 lbs.

Note: I am NOT an expert on this, this is just what's been working for me.

Good luck!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I lift as heavy as I can so that when I get to the 12th or 15th rep, I can still do it, but one more might be difficult to do with good form. Squats I usually put 15lb on each side of the bar, seated rows and lat pull-downs I do 70lb, deadlift 50lb. I am doing "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" routine, Stage 1, and I absolutely LOVE it!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I lift as heavy as I can so that when I get to the 12th or 15th rep, I can still do it, but one more might be difficult to do with good form. Squats I usually put 15lb on each side of the bar, seated rows and lat pull-downs I do 70lb, deadlift 50lb. I am doing "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" routine, Stage 1, and I absolutely LOVE it!

I'm doing the same. And love it also.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's challenging for you. Trying to push it too quickly will just set you back with injury...been there done that :) Yes push yourself and move up in weights but don't hurry it along too much. I currently am deadlifting 95#, squatting 80#, shoulder press ups 30#, lunging with 50#, lat pulls/seated rows 180#. These numbers are too heavy for some girls, too light for others but at the moment perfect for me. I move up in weights about every 3 workouts. I started with 5 lb dumbells because literally that's all I could do. You will get there with patience and perseverence!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I lift anywhere from 20-50lbs upper body/ 50-120 lower body depending on the body area. I do a rep set of 12x10x8x6x12, increasing weight as I decrease reps. I take a minute rest between sets and a three min rest between exercise groups.
  • AshleyNicoleRoutson
    Options
    I always lift my max. Depending on the amount of reps and sets depends on the amount of weight i can do. For my main lifts like squat , bench, and deadlift with a low rep range (usually 8-10 reps for 3 sets)

Squat: 155lbs
    Bench: 90lbs
    Deadlift: 155lbs

If i were to be doing more sets or more reps each lift would decrease about 10lbs.

I also make sure to switch my lifting routine up every 6 weeks or less. To continue with the muscle confusion
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, most upper body dumbbell exercises I use 15 lbs dumbbells, and as for lower body, it varies. I hold 20 lbs dumbbells in each hand when I do lunges, typically squat around 65-70 lbs, and deadlift 80 right now...hoping to be able to deadlift my body weight (or more) some day!
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    it's amazing to see the variability, "heavy" sure means different things to different people. We all have our stronger muscle groups. it's about your effort and reps. Here's some examples of where I'm at:

barbell squats 20lbs + bar
    leg press 50lbs
    leg extensions 50lbs
    lying hamstring curls 50lbs
    standing calves 115lbs
    lateral pull downs 60lbs
    bicep curls 10lbs
    seated row 50lbs
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Have no idea what cable fly is, and I don't even do squats (unless it's in Zumba).

Leg Press: 40lbs
    Leg Curl: ^^^
    Pec Fly: 20-30lbs
    Bicep Curls: 20lbs
    Chest Press: 25lbs
    Adductor/Abductor: 25-35lbs
    Leg Extension: 30lbs