all your calories for dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Also consider that humans, as omnivores, can be classified as "opportunistic eaters". Historically, homo sapiens ate whatever food was available at the time, when it was available. Our digestive tracts are not sensitive like many animals who eat a small selection of foods or who only feed at certain times of day.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    eating the biggest cal for dinner doesnt seem like a good plan..... does he work out after dinner or go sit in the chair (my dad) and then go to bed? when does the body have a chance to burn that meal off it just gets stored
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I personally eat light all day and use the majority of my calories for dinner with my family. It has been working great for me.
  • jknottage
    jknottage Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As long as he's not diabetic it shouldn't be a problem. If he's diabetic, he's probably going to have problems stabalizing his blood sugar. Is he losing weight?
    [/quote

I was going to say this too, as others have stated, supposedly it is better to balance things out across the day, it's easier for me that way personally, but everyone is different. But, being diabetic makes it a whole different story...
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options
    I see many people who use most of their calories at the end of the day b/c they have those snack cravings or would rather enjoy their big dinner. since he's eating all day long and not just fasting I would say there is nothing wrong with it if it works for him.
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's a diet called Caveman power... basically the first few weeks it encourages you to eat small amounts of fruit until the end of the day and then eat what ever you like... the next few weeks eat nothing during the day then eat a healthy meal at the end of the day...

to me that sounds like torture.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    its a bad idea! your body uses approx 300 calories every 3 hrs , then you are hungry again , unless you are working out within that window you will not burn off those calories.. you metabolim will slow during the day when you arent feeding it , then you dump 1000-2000 calories into your body , you sit on the couch burn up 300 and the remaining calories go to stores (fat)
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who has most of their calories in the evening. I eat breakfast and lunch and usually 1-2 snacks a day but they are generally quite light and then I will make a larger (not huge and within my calories) meal in the evening which is when I generally feel hungrier.

If I'm hungry in the day of course I'll eat more but it is rare.
    If this works well for your Dad, he's losign weight and not causing him any problems let him eat how he wants.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper....

Of course it doesn't always work out that way. I have more time to cook a nice meal in the evening so it's easy to eat too large a dinner.....
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I did it for a long time and it worked for me. When I started out I had a lot of calories to use up. I had light breakfast, snack, light lunch, snack and then ate dinner with my family. I still lost like crazy and .... it put my big meal after my workout which seemed to work well for me. As I've progressed and have fewer calories, I have found that I need to even them out more. He'll find his niche. The important thing is just getting started.
  • Charityjoy1987
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is don't eat two or three hours before bed :) but I'm surer all knw that
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is don't eat two or three hours before bed :) but I'm surer all knw that

It makes absolutely no difference, believe it or not.

Calories in -v- calories out and WHAT you eat is most important.
  • Di3012
    Options
    its a bad idea! your body uses approx 300 calories every 3 hrs , then you are hungry again , unless you are working out within that window you will not burn off those calories.. you metabolim will slow during the day when you arent feeding it , then you dump 1000-2000 calories into your body , you sit on the couch burn up 300 and the remaining calories go to stores (fat)

The only calories that will go to fat are the ones that the body does not use. If a person is at a deficit there will be no remaining calories to go to storage as fat.

Eating every three hours is not necessary, unless you like to eat that way.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This is called the Warrior diet.

Milk it!

The fast is good for you.

Survey says.......

Strike.jpg

False!

Studies have shown better sleep patters as well as fat loss when the majority of carbs are ingested at night.
    you can eat right before bed and still lose weight.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Milk it!

Survey says.......

Strike.jpg

False!

Studies have shown better sleep patters as well as fat loss when the majority of carbs are ingested at night.

Thank you!!!! Had to be said! I have a snack every night or I lay awake listening to my belly rumble all night and it hasn't slowed my weight loss at all!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters if he gets the right amount of calories overall.

I personally would never do that... I wouldn't want to eat that much in one sitting and I like snacking throughout the day... I like to eat.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

http://www.leangains.com/

meal timing is irreverent.. as long as you hit your daily macros.
  • Di3012
    Options

Milk it!

Survey says.......

Strike.jpg

False!

Thank you!!!! Had to be said! I have a snack every night or I lay awake listening to my belly rumble all night and it hasn't slowed my weight loss at all!

lol I remember having my stomach rumble away about 2am one time, I could not drop back off to sleep, I eventually got up and cut the top and bottom off of a carrot and promptly returned back to bed to eat it. The only problem was, it was bloody noisy! My husband eventually awoke, not to the noise of me chewing the carrot, but to me laughing my head off at how ludicrous it all really was! I was crying in the end, helplessly pmsl